cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Optik Slimline remote is Horrible, can I get original ones?

Victoria_guy
Advisor

I just had my Optik TV remote replaced by a new slimline style. Wow, what a big step backwards.

I used to be able to control most functions with one hand. This new one, not so much.

Where's the Caller ID button?

Where's the Exit To TV button?

Where's the back light?

How do I go from watching a recording to watching TV (See "Where's the Exit To TV button?" above?

How do I get rid of the progress bar at the bottom of a recording during playback. the old remote if i hit play, the progress bar came up, I just hit play again and the bar went away (great to see text at the bottom of a screen). this new remote combines the play and pause, so i can't see a way to force the progress bar off.

How to I shut off just the Optik box or my TV? When I press the power button, it sends the power off for both. I don't want to shut off both.

Can I trade this in for a proper remote?

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They don't manufacture the original ones anymore to my knowledge. Cisco may have discontinued them like they did the current Optik boxes (330/430). There may be an installer somewhere that might have an old one kicking around but calling in and requesting one won't work. (Tried that already) Normally Telus just mails the remotes out, no installers involved. I still have one of my old ones but it has the defective volume button that model develops, so I only use it as a backup if the slimline one fails.

• Caller ID: Not there. It's hidden under the Apps button now.
  • Exit to TV button: Just hit Guide or Previous Channel. It usually takes up back a step but doesn't fully exit in one click, which I find annoying.
  • The progress bar normally should disappear on it's own after a few seconds. If it doesn't hit the "back/exit" button once.
  • Power: The remote defaults to controlling both. You can hit the Mode button to change to TV only. It's either both or TV only.
  • Sadly this is the proper remote now.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:
  • Exit to TV button: Just hit Guide or Previous Channel. It usually takes up back a step but doesn't fully exit in one click, which I find annoying.
  • The progress bar normally should disappear on it's own after a few seconds. If it doesn't hit the "back/exit" button once.

Prev button sometimes allows me to go to regular TV.  So does entering the channel I want to go to.

Only complaint on the progress bar is when I'm in 3D.  The progress bar just wraps!