cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix streaming with 25Mps

DennisQ
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,
I will be having my Internet hooked up on this coming Wednesday. Since I live in an older building I can only get the 25Mps package. I have also sighed up for the unlimited plan. I would like to inquire if anyone would know if Netflix will stream decently? My modem is less than 3 feet away from my TV if that helps any. Thank you in advance if someone can help me with this question.
Regards
Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have 15mbps and Netflix works fine for me on all my devices both wired and wireless.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have 15mbps and Netflix works fine for me on all my devices both wired and wireless.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

DennisQ
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you so much Nighthawk. Your answer is a better one than I got from customer support here in Calgary. Though the young lady may not quite of understood my question she was certainly polite.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

And don't forget, you can adjust the Netflix data stream size in your Netflix account to better meet your needs for either high quality or low bandwidth.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

DennisQ
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks NFtoBC. I did know about being able to adjust the Netflix date stream size. Will look into this on Wednesday after installation is complete. 

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

Netflix automatically adjusts to the bandwidth offered by your connection and your streaming device, up to the limit set in your online Netflix account settings. You can play a test clip called "Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997fps" to have the rate Netflix is sending you shown on your screen. You can see it adjust upwards every few seconds from the start until it steadies at the maximum rate.

If you have your account set to Medium, then Netflix will only go up to 1050 kbps at 480p resolution (about 0.5 Gbytes/hr). The quality is actually pretty good, even though it's not HD.

If you have your account set to High, then Netflix will go up to 5800 kbps at 1080p resolution (about 2.5 Gbytes/hr) for streams that are available in HD. But only if you have a streaming device like a Roku that's capable of playing Netflix in HD. The Telus Optik TV box is currently limited to showing Netflix HD at 3000 kbps at 720p resolution.

There is an even higher Ultra HD rate available from Netflix, but it's not available through Telus internet, and in any case Netflix started charging a higher "Premium" account rate to get that service where it's available last year.

vishwa
Leader

That last one is for 4K UHD tvs and restricted a select few TVs right now. It is about 15Mbps and works to about 6-7GB/hour of streaming.

DennisQ
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks so much for the information that you provided me Doug1Ames1. I have just finished testing Netflix and so far I have not seen any degradation in signal strength while watching a movie. I use a Western Digital Live box and it supports 1080p resolution. Now I am considering Telus cable as well.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I stream two TVs in 4k-uhd and each one takes about 18mbps,I've run many speed tests and they are a minimum 18mbps..