cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix operational hiccups?

emcee2
Coach
Hi.  Just curious if anyone else using the new Netflix app on their Optik TV box is experiencing operational oddities... for instance:

1. anytime I pause: when I resume the sound drops out after a few seconds - probably the length of whatever was already buffered when I hit pause.  It seems to be no more audio, or lack of sync, or something, though I've not bothered to see what happens if I don't jump back, which generally fixes the audio drop out.
  2. Inconsistent playback - by which I mean I've had a number of issues when the stream "jumps" and I've missed a few seconds worth of the show.  Or, while trying to sort out the audio issue the whole app loses connection to the stream and needs to be restarted.  This all during a session of watching House of Cards season 3.  Got so annoyed the other night that I reverted back to using Netflix on the Playstation.
  3. Which brings up a couple of other things... 1) it seems to take significantly longer to initiate the app on Optik vs the Playstation, and 2) I find it out that the Playstation version of the app didn't know anything about the 3 or 4 episodes I had just watched on the Optik version of the app.  I assume that info is stored with my Netflix profile back at the Netflix server... so it seems to infer that the Optik TV Netflix app wasn't syncing the user data properly.  Or maybe the app/stream crashing had something to do with that.

Just my $0.02 worth.
eM  
8 REPLIES 8

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

Netflix is slow to start on the Telus box, but it has been getting slower on other platforms too as Netflix makes their app more elaborate.

I do get that audio interruption after pause-resume that you mention. Oddly it then jumps both picture and sound back a few seconds and repeats the missing segment.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Personally it's so painfully slow even on the 7150 i don't even bother. I suppose in a pinch it could be useful for people that don't own a roku, apple tv. TV App etc.

It's more of a gimmick feature, using it on the older boxes 430/330 it's dreadful. You can literally watch images load and have to wait forever for it to actually play.

Telus had the right idea. but still far to slow to be useful. (That's a hardware issue)

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

You're too picky. I watch Netflix on several other devices, including a Roku and a Chromecast attached to the same TV as the Telus PVR, and aside from being a little slow on startup, the Telus box is fine.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Really try it on a 330 and you'll see the difference. It's not even close. Plus it's not in 1080p and doesn't autoplay next episodes.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

Darn, my response was sabotaged once again by this awful, awful neighbourhood forum 2.0 that keeps logging me out and then discarding my response when it unexpectedly prompts me to log in. Please fix this Telus!

Oh well, to repeat much more briefly:

Doesn't the 330 have the same processor as the 430? http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/video/iptv-set-tops-americas-asia-pacific-eastern-europe-middl...

If Telus is going to fix anything about the Netflix interface, I'd prefer that they fix the needlessly small font used in some of the menus. This is a TV interface designed to be seen and used from across the room, not an exercise in style.

vishwa
Leader

It happened to me too many times.  After writing a few paragraphs, it just logs me out and the whole things is lost.  Really frustrating.  Many times, I don't feel like typing the whole thing again.  Would be nice if it was fixed.

emcee2
Coach

Yes... I have been sabotaged about half a dozen times replying to messages only to find out I'm not logged in (or have been logged out, or something).  Driving me crazy - and I generally have not bothered to retype everything.

vishwa
Leader

I am on at least half a dozen forums and this is the only place it happens.  I can understand the logging out but it has to do it gracefully--with a chance to either save what has been typed or automatically post once you re enter the credentials.