Netflix 5.1

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Connector

Hello all,

I have the 4K box. I have it running through a Onkyo NR737 receiver. When I use the app on 422, it outputs

only 2 channel PCM. All regular tv channels are in 5.1. I have checked all settings on the box, receiver & my tv(Samsung Smart tv)

and cannot get 5.1. I have read all posts about this issue but I couldn't find a solution in any of them. As most posts say,

I can get 5.1 if I use my bluray for Netflix, but the picture quality isn't as good.

I have a HDMI from the 4K pvr to my receiver and then I have a HDMI out from the receiver to the tv.

Please if anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Going by what's on Netflix's support pages it looks like many set top boxes do not support 5.1 audio for Netflix, or Netflix isn't providing it for them for the ones that do.

The Telus specific set top box help page for Netflix shows no boxes with 5.1. It's a limitation Netflix's end. I asked them in their online chat and have requested to look into adding 5.1 support in future releases of the Netflix app for the 4K PVR and Pik. The support person also suggested anyone wanting 5.1 should also contact them as they track all the requests coming in. My request was logged and he indicated to keep an eye out for future releases.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Connector

Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
Advocate

Yeah this forum is awfully quiet. Thats the only thing I miss from Shaw is that they actually had employees on the forum to answer questions. As far as 5.1  for Netflix i use my tv app for that, but if I get a chance I will test the Telus app and report back.

Highlighted
Connector

Thank you. I appreciate that. Just cant figure out why it wont put 5.1 into my receiver.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have the same problem.  I have a Denon receiver that when I watch Netflix on the 4K box it only outputs as stereo, but actual channels output as 5.1.  I have the 4K box connected directly to my receiver with HDMI, and have tried changing all settings and nothing.  The best I can do is change the receiver so that it is taking the stereo input and changing it to fake surround sound, I just changed it to DOLBY PL IIx Cinema or one of the other listening modes.  It sounds better than stereo but it is obviously not great.  Hope this helps a little.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Going by what's on Netflix's support pages it looks like many set top boxes do not support 5.1 audio for Netflix, or Netflix isn't providing it for them for the ones that do.

The Telus specific set top box help page for Netflix shows no boxes with 5.1. It's a limitation Netflix's end. I asked them in their online chat and have requested to look into adding 5.1 support in future releases of the Netflix app for the 4K PVR and Pik. The support person also suggested anyone wanting 5.1 should also contact them as they track all the requests coming in. My request was logged and he indicated to keep an eye out for future releases.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate

Odd, I did a screen shot of a Netflix show and it shows and is outputting 5.1.

IMG_0102.JPG