Need help pairing PVR remote to TV

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Hello,

I have a Sharp Aquos and Optik PVR. The PVR remote has been paired to the TV since I subscribed to Telus ~7 years ago. Today, all of a sudden the remote has lost it's pairing and I cannot get it set up. 

I've tried:

1. Hold TV and OK > buttons blink twice

2. Tried each of these: 1138, 1176, 1177, 1214, 1244, 1247, 1248, 1348, 1350, 1415, 1416 > TV blinks 3 times

3. Press Power button -> PVR turns off but the TV stays on

Any ideas what would cause this, and what I'm doing wrong?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those are the correct codes for the standard remote for older Sharp HDTVs. Considering the remotes age, when it was first programmed it may be using something different. Did you try auto-searching for the code?

Auto-Searching the Code Library for TV or DVD Mode Codes
(Program Code 922)

Note: This procedure only applies to TVs and DVDs.

1. Turn on the device you that you want to assign to the TV or DVD key.
  2. Point the remote at the device.
  3. Press and while holding a selected mode key (TV or DVD), press the OK key. For example, to search for a TV code, press and hold TV and OK at the same time.
  4. Release both keys and all the mode keys blink twice.
  5. Enter the programming code 9 2 2 by pressing the numeric keys on the remote. The mode key you selected in step 3 blinks twice to indicate a successful entry.
  6. Point the remote toward the device, and press PLAY.
  7. Your device powers off when it finds the correct code. Then, choose one of the following options: 
  • Save code and exit – Press the ENTER key on the remote to program the code in the remote and the mode key flashes three times indicating successful entry.
  • Step forward – Press the fast-forward (FF) key on the remote to step ahead through the codes one at a time. Then, return to step 6.
  • Step backward – Press the rewind (REW) key on the remote to step back through the codes one at a time. Then, return to step 6.
  • Exit without saving the code – Press the EXIT key on the remote. The selected mode key flashes three times and returns to normal operation.
  • Send the current code – Press the POWER key on the remote to send the current code. If the device turns back on, press the ENTER key. If the device does not turn on, return to step 6.
  • Continue with auto-search function – Press the PLAY key on the remote to continue with the auto-search function. Then, return to step 6

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Resident

Thanks for the reply, but auto-searching hasn't helped. This is what I tried:

1. Turn on TV.

2. Press TV and OK buttons. Mode buttons blink.

3. Enter 9 2 2. TV button blinks.

4. Press Play. Nothing happens.

5. Press FF. Nothing happens.

6. Repeat step 4-5 several times.

There's no indicator as to what code is selected, so I'm not sure how many times I'm supposed to do this before giving up, or how long I should wait between presses. I gave it 1 sec pauses between FF and Play and tried about 20 times.

Note: The Menu button DOES bring up the TV options screen, but none of the other buttons work. So there's partial pairing at least.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Maybe call in and ask for one of the new slimline remotes. The one you have has been discontinued for some time now. The replacement is free and if you don't want to play 20 questions with tech support, just tell them there is no power and you've already swapped the batteries. They'll mail you the replacement. It may have better luck with Sharp.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂