cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETFLIX on Optik TV Guide...!!

trvcm
Neighbour

NETFLIX is on my Optik TV guide. But won't work when I try to activate it. Does anyone know the launch date of this? HOW EXCITING..and ABOUT TIME!

101 REPLIES 101

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Why don't you have 4 HD??? Just can't get in your area???Because I'll have 5 in May or June is what I was told..Sometimes I could record 4 shows @ the same time and watch the hockey game if I had 5,but its great with 4,but sometimes there a show on ABC,NBC CBS and fox plus a hockey or football game on,I don't no how I lived with just 1 HD box and 3 receivers  not even two years ago,I've gotten spoiled with telus optic and there great services.. I just hope they keep it up and don't get like shaw is now because there so big and can careless about customer's and customer service, when I was canceling they offered me a PVR for $49 and said that was a special for me but I had my tablet right beside me and looked it up and it was offered to everyone for $49 nice try shaw, I forgot to pay my last  shaw bill somehow and it wasn't even two month's late from when I disconnected it and said I am going to telus and I bet they called 15 timestimes a day and they would not leave a message and I don't answer calls that don't have a there numbers displayed because there usually some telemarketer and when I am up north I don't want to get charged for the bull sh it call, so the wife calls me up and said shaw had sent the bill to collection's,so I called shaw and paid the bill with my credit card and asked if they posted it on the credit bureau and they said no but I had a hunch so when i got home the first thing I did was checked my Equifax credit and they posted it on Equifax/trans Canada credit so it took me a good two months to get that stupid thing off my credit bureau,Shaw is a bunch of money hungry vultures..And now last week they called me with some special promo and I said they can stick it where the sun don't shine...

vishwa
Leader

I do have the bandwidth required but Telus has this way of doing things where they go area by area for the 4HD and 5HD upgrades.  Right now, according to the people at Telus I talked to, my area doesn't qualify for 4HD.  In simple terms, I guess they don't want to do it in our area.  They seem to be concentrating on newer areas.  I am in a 20+ year old neighbourhood.

I am really surprised to hear your story on how Shaw treated you.  That is not normal.  For a long time customer, it is wrong to send it to collection just for one late payment.  I was with Shaw on and off a few times and I was generally happy.  

By the way, which optik pvr do you have? Is it cis-430 or ISB-7050 or ISB-7150?  I have the cis-430 and I feel that it is a bit slow and am thinking about upgrading to isb-7150 but right now cannot buy it anywhere.  Only Telus has it and I cannot buy it from them. I don't like to rent.  I always owned my equipment.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I have the 1 isb 7150 and 3 ibs7105,they are quick and always updating, the only complaint I have is the volume on them seems to be low compared to shaw direct or Netflix but other then that I would say they are as good as it gets with wireless receiver technology  and I don't see them changing to something new because they can just  update these boxs and for 4k Technologies, we are years away from that.And I got suckered into that,but normal tv is years away from 4k and to watch Netflix you need a minimum of 20 to 30mbps,so you need at least telus 50,I had telus 50 for a month but got my son a 55" 4k 3d tv and didn't have enough power and data for both tvs and two kids on 5ghz tablets or on netflix plus wife on laptop doing here homework for school so I got telus 100...

vishwa
Leader

Thanks for the info.  Did you ever have cis-430 or did you start with this isb-7150.  I am asking because I want to know if 7150 is significantly faster in response than the cis-430.  I assume it is but would be nice to get the opinion of someone who had both.  Even then, it is not easy to get one of those. 

On the subject of 4K TV, there isn't even a single station that broadcasts at 1080p.  May be around 2025-2030.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I was the first  one to have the 7150 and the 7105 in camrose on fiber and I also was the first to get the actiontec t1200 router and internet 100mbps but as for rent on the boxes,I only rent one of them for $5 and thats just because my kid was always making a mess in our bedroom and she like girl shows so we gave our daughter our 1 year old 42" tv and bought here a lg bp730 blue ray player with netflix built in and bought ourselves a new Samsung smart tv for our bedroom..

vishwa
Leader

OK. That makes sense.  I think all the new installs, especially the 4HD and 5HD ones, Telus has been supplying 7150.  I heard good things about that 7105 wireless units except I don't have a need for it.  I sure would like to upgrade to 7150 some day.  The cis-430 hesitates on every command.  There is that little green circle(instead of the hourglass) most of the time I press a command.  Hopefully sooner than later!

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I've heard the 7150 is a lot faster from my friend that had 430,he upgraded because he tried mine and liked it a lot better plus he just signed up to telus 50 and got the new t1200 router and WiFi extender but as for being in a new area and getting telus fiber is wrong in my city,they had all the fiber laid in the old area's in camrose before the new subdivisions,my subdivision is 10 to 15 years old and but there's still people building new home's in my area,my home will be 2years old in June but I kept calling telus every second day and the tech said I was the first to have fiber to my house and I am so glad I waited for it because they there is no limits to what they can do on fiber....

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I think if you have been with telus for a while they will upgrade you for free,I would call and ask...

db1
Neighbour

this is buyer beware.  using the app telus "provides" willl affect you data usage.  1 gig/ hour watched 3 gigs if 1 hour in HD.  this is not all its cracked up to be. npotentially you could be looking at a huge data bill if you watch lots of movies  Netflix didnt work well on my smart tv again a telus problem...the signal drops.  i guess this was a solution to that problem and a great way to skim a little off the top quite sneaky if you ask me. I'm  going back to watching through my wii paying here and there doesn't  impress me Mr. Telus!  thanks for nothing. 

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well your smart tv would eat up more  GB's then the optic does  because optic is 720p and I would think your tv is 1080p,why don't you just spend the extra $15 for unlimited internet..I don't get charged for going over till June but I usually go over buy 200 to 400 GB's on my 500GB's...I am already signed up to unlimited INTERNET...

db1
Neighbour

so what would it cost for me to use my wii?

rayrayjj
Rockstar

From what I have read the wii is 480p ,unless u have a upscaler or it might be 720p the same as the optic box,do you find the optic app has better picture???If so then your Wii is streaming in 480p or 576i and would take far less internet...U can go to setting and it will tell you if its 480p or 720p..

db1
Neighbour

I guess the whole point i am making is more money..money...money.  This becomes like your household gas bill...Netflix is not Telus' system so they found a way to implenent a "delivery" charge so to speak.  My friend mention you dont pay for data on wifi with your phone..is that the same as this netflix issue?

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @emcee2, were you aware that you could submit this in our Idea section?

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well my gas bill is $76 and electricity bill is $140 and my tv and internet is almost $200,that's the price you pay for good tv and internet,my bill with shaw would be over $250 for same tv and internet,I have 4 receivers in my house,two 4k smart TVs a roku3,Roku streaming stick and a Chromecast all run 1080p or higher so if you want to bit ch take it up with telus..I don't have a problem with telus or there services... I am very happy with telus and the products they are putting out..

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I guess the whole point i am making is more money..money...money. This becomes like your household gas bill...Netflix is not Telus' system so they found a way to implenent a "delivery" charge so to speak. My friend mention you dont pay for data on wifi with your phone..is that the same as this netflix issue?

The 'delivery charge' is the same whether you use the Telus app or another app GIVEN the picture is the same quality. The higher the quality, the more data it contains and the bigger your download. The Telus app simply lets you access Netflix through the PVR, rather than having to connect or switch to another device, or find the app on your smart TV. 

See @rayrayjj comments for some idea of different data consumption rates.

Your friend is confusing mobility data with Wi-Fi data - you pay for both, just at different rates, and on different bills. Cellular data is about 100x as expensive as landline-based data, of the same volume - i.e. you get about 300 GB of data on your home network for the same price a 3 GB of cellular.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rayrayjj
Rockstar

And I pay another $160 for 3 cell phones with 4.5gb of data..

I pay $160 (incl get/pst) for 2 iphones with 1GB data ( shared). You've
got a "deal"!
I was thinking about this whole data nonsense the other day... We barely
use our phone data, yet will probably end up paying extra on our home plan
due to (mostly) netflix.
Should be able to pool data plans, plain and simple.
eM