cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETFLIX on Optik TV Guide...!!

trvcm
Friendly Neighbour

NETFLIX is on my Optik TV guide. But won't work when I try to activate it. Does anyone know the launch date of this? HOW EXCITING..and ABOUT TIME!

101 REPLIES 101

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Maybe all telus is gonna give is 3000kbps @1280x720,kinda sucks..

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rayrayj 

You can always use any app you prefer to stream Netflix. The one contained within Optik is but one option.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well very good nf to BC but it would have nice if it was 1080p like Chromecast,Roku,apple tv excetera,why not make it 1080p.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

Someone said on dslreports that Telus is working on a firmware update for the STBs to add 1080p output for Netflix and the other video-on-demand services. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Skid
Just Moved In

Skid
Just Moved In

I have Netflix in Nanaimo I couldn't get it at first... Then I sign into Netflix account and there it was like it a lot now I don't have to us Apple TV 

MK
Just Moved In

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but everytime I use Netflix on Telus Optik TV the screen goes blank and Telus tv signal light is still on. 

Is there something I should be doing? 

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Are you signed into your Netflix account??

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

Does your TV support 720p input? Because the Optik TV box switches from 1080i to 720p output when Netflix starts. Maybe your TV isn't handling the switch in resolution. What happens if you turn it off and on? Or unplug and replug the HDMI cable?

Update: No, I'm wrong - the Netflix stream is 720p, but the output of the Telus box remains at 1080i. They are upscaling the Netflix picture.

emcee2
Coach

@Doug1Ames1 said:

Update: No, I'm wrong - the Netflix stream is 720p, but the output of the Telus box remains at 1080i. They are upscaling the Netflix picture.

hmmm.  If I watch Netflix via Optik TV app & the stream is @720p, then presumably that is using less data than watching via the Netflix app on my Playstation set to 1080p output.

But perhaps the stream is the same both ways and the output is processed differently.  How to actually tell what the streaming consumption is on one vs. the other?  My toddler doesn't care about 720p vs 1080p, and if it saves some data on my monthly plan then so much the better.

emcee2
Coach

One answer to my question: The Netflix account settings allow me to set the data usage.  I had it set to High... probably has been that way since day one.  The setting "Auto" now seems to be a better choice.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

All Netflix on optic tv is 720p,it doesn't matter if your optic box is set to 1080p it will only stream @720 on the optic receiver,I heard that telus is working on 1080p because customers are complaining that shaw and rogers offer shomi in 1080i..

emcee2
Coach

@rayrayjj

just to be clear, I was comparing Netflix on the Optik box vs Netflix on my Playstation - which is set to output @1080p.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

No need to guess about the data rate, play the Netflix test clip "Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997 fps".

It shows you the adaptive data rate and resolution as Netflix ramps up to the maximum allowed by your account setting and device.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

You can't get 1080p,all you can get is 3000 bitrate, which is 720p,I have 4k Netflix or ultra hd but I tested it on optic and only get 3000 bitrate(720p) and on Chromecast and roku3 I get 5800 bitrate which is 1080pp!!!

D18
Organizer

I would like to know when the OptikTV version of Netflix will be upgraded to support surround sound, specifically Dolby Digital 5.1

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well I stream Netflix in 4k or ultra HD and I was over my data by  almost 400GB's on my 500GB plan and will not be charged for going over till June so I will pay the  extra  $15 for unlimited data,I am glad telus offers unlimited data,thank you telus,I think ultra HD take's 20 to 30 Mbps  for the true 4k and I have 2 4k TVs that are smart with Netflix build in and after 4pm they both are on Netflix in 4k so I think they eat up a lot of GB a day and my daughter sometimes use's the optic netflix app and she's to young to tell the difference between 480p or 720p or 1080p but the only prod i have with the optic app is it doesn't go to the next show so when she goes to bed she has my lg bp730 1080p +4k upscaling for bed and the eats up GB's to  plus my youngest son goes to bed with the Roku 3 and that's also 1080p so it doesn't take long to eat up 500GB's..But right now I have 4 TVs running 1 on 4k Netflix,3 on 1080p netflix and I am gonna run a WiFi speed test on wife's laptop on 2.4ghz and I just got 46.52Mbps download speed and 11.45Mbps upload and now I am gonna run a 5Ghz test and it is 79.51Mbps download speed and 19.08Mbps up speed, so my son 4k TV is 5Ghz and it is taking about 25Mbps for ultra HD or 4k tv,my other to kids TVs and my bedroom tv are 2.4Ghz and are fighting with the neighborhoods wifi and I am still getting 46.52 download speed and I no my neighbor is on the same 2.4 channel as I am so I think 46Mbps is dam good for 2.4wifi with 3TV's running 1080p I guarantee you won't get that on shaw wifi..The 3 TVs are taking 30 Mbps alone and then there's the neighborhood interference so I think Telus is doing a great job with there fiber and they definitely blow away any other provider in my area..

vishwa
Leader

Well, if anyone needs unlimited that will be you.  I read somewhere that it is about 7GB/Hr for the 4K Netflix streams.  So, if your household watches just one movie on each TV a day, that will be over 800GB right there.  I am also glad that Telus offers optik customers a choice of unlimited for $15.  I wish it was $10 but $15 is not too bad.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

telus rocks and I've been home lately because of spring break and its to early to go camping so all I do is quad or   watch Netflix ,so I been watching Netflix a lot, I think I've watched  5 seasons of shield,house of cards,orange is the new black ,3 seasons of suits,Hannibal and now just got into The Red road and its pretty good so far,I've also watched at least 15 movies,so I've did a hell of a lot of TV watching, but I just started volunteering @ habitat for humanity and it feels really good to give back to the community and I think a lot more people should try to give back to there community's ..I'm blessed with a beautiful house, 3 wonderful kids and a excellent wife that puts up with all my bad spending habits,so sometimes I just sit back and thank God for what he has blessed me with...

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I just think Telus is a wonderful company and I am so glad I switched to telus...

vishwa
Leader

I agree.  Even when I switched from Telus in the past it wasn't because I was unhappy with the company.  It was just that I couldn't live with 1HD/2sD streams.  I stopped watching SD TV a long time ago.  Now I have 3HD and am happy, although I could use 4HD occasionally.