Latest Optik PVR model numbers

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

vishwa
Ambassador

Could someone in the know shed a little light on the model numbers of the latest optik PVR box numbers.  I know they start with ISB instead of CIS.  However, there is a 7050, 7500, 71xx etc.  My cix-430 seems to be very slow and also I see a lot of pixellation especially in CNN programs that I record and watch.  As an example, I recently recorded that story on real American sniper and I could not watch it at all.

So, I was thinking about buying a newer model from Kijiji but am confused about the model number.  Thanks for all the replies.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vishwa, have you tried contacting TELUS in regards to your pixellisation issue? If not, you can try to reach them at 310-2255, via chat at www.telus.com/chat or via their Twitter account @TELUSsupport.

vishwa
Ambassador

Hi @ET,

Thanks for your reply.  I did write a long response and when I clicked reply, I lost the whole thing--I don't know what happened.  Anyway, here is a shorter response.  I haven't called Telus Support yet--that is the last step.  I read that the newer PVRs have faster CPUs and twice the memory and respond quickly to remote key press.  

My T2200H syncs at a total of 66+ Mbps and I have 25Mbps internet, thus leaving enough overhead.  Keeping all these in mind and to avoid the routine of restarting the modem, pvr and checking the cable etc etc. with the support, I thought I look for a newer PVR but found out there are multiple models.  I want to buy the latest one if I do go ahead--or else will live with the current CIS-430. If you have any insights into the model numbers, let me know.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

But the reason I asked it's possible your matter is from the PVR but it's possible it could be something else too.

Community Power User
Community Power User

As the 430 Hard drive space get's used up the slower the box get's and responds to commands. Simply deleting things to keep it under 50% full will do wonders for it.

As for the latest pvr that's the 7150 but is NOT sold in stores. It's available for new installs or hardware swaps from hardware failure on older models.  The 7050 is the older PVR with less memory and slower chipset compared to the 7150. 7105 is the latest wifi receiver available anywhere.

If pixelation happens on all channels or most, a line issue or hardware issue.

A simple call to Telus you can usually get your old equipment swapped out for nothing.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
vishwa
Ambassador

@WestCoasterBC: Thanks for the detailed information--exactly what I was looking for.  My PVR is at less than 40%.  It is not across the board pixellation, but occasional ones mostly on CNN, and especially on recorded shows.  It is something I can easily live with except for the lure of faster cpu+more ram and instant reaction from the PVR.  

Your clarification of 7050 vs 7150 is very helpful to me.  I initially thought all ISBxx models are the newer ones with the faster CPU and double the ram.  Regarding your last point of Telus swapping out, I am not on contract but bought my own equipment.  Long story short is that the last time I had optik TV the picture quality was not good and I had only 1HD stream(and I don't watch SD anymore) so I left after 8 months.  Keeping that in mind, I didn't want to commit to 3 years.  Many thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User

You don't need to be under contract for a swap your receivers. I outright owned mine NO contract and got the latest receivers for nothing. 1HD profile is extremely old which would mean a non upgraded area. Min now is 3HD 1 SD.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
vishwa
Ambassador

Thanks and same here--3HD and 1SD.  I have enough bandwidth to go 4HD but found out from Telus that my area does't qualify for 4HD.  Hopefully some time in the future.  Once in a while, I need a 4th stream, but for the most part 3HD is quite OK.  I will talk to Telus about it and see what happens.

vishwa
Ambassador

@ET and @WestCoasterBC: I did talk to Telus tech support yesterday about the pixellation and I was told it looks fine from their side when they query the optik PVR box.  They think it might be just some problem with the signal itself originating before they get.  I was advised to keep an eye and report if it gets any worse.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please let us know how it goes. I really hope you get the amazing TV experience you deserve to have.

vishwa
Ambassador

Thank you , ET.  I must clarify that I do enjoy optik TV.  The quality has greatly improved compared to what it was a few years ago when I had it last time.  The occasional pixellation didn't bother me much but the recent recording of the story of real american sniper on CNN was completely unwatchable.  It was just a mess with macroblocking and that was why I thought about the newer PVRs etc.  Let me see how it goes.  As @WestCoasterBC mentioned, it is not easy to get ISB7150.  Right now it has to be from Telus.  I went to Futureshop, Best Buy and London Drugs and they only have the CIS-430 models.  

Someone is selling an ISB7050, but that is the older model and if I replace, I would like to go with 7150.  Thanks for your help and encouragement.

vishwa
Ambassador

Just a short update.  I ended up buying an ISB7150 and got it activated yesterday.  Everything works(except I lost all the recordings on my old PVR--there is no easy way to transfer) but it is a bit early for me to definitively say it is faster than the old one.  It must be but I haven't felt it yet.  I will update in a week's time.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

How do you like the 7150!?Pretty dam good PVR..

vishwa
Ambassador

It is definitely good.  But, I still need some time to be objective about it.  So far I have not seen any pixellation.  If I go another week without seeing any then I really can say it is definitely superior.  I do notice that it responds to the remote a bit snappier.  

I also found that the cpu on 7150 is a dual core 400 MHz processor while the one in 430 is a 300 MHz single core, although it may not be that straightforward.  There is a secondary cpu on the 430 to handle DRM etc. I will update in a week.

Greenscreen
Resident

Greenscreen
Resident
if your pvr isconnected to your modem via coax make sure theconnections are tight  
vishwa
Ambassador

@Greenscreen: my PVR is connected using a cat6 cable.  

rayrayjj
Rockstar

@vishwa,how you liking the 7150???It's fast compared to the old ones..Mine is cat 6 too

vishwa
Ambassador

@rayraj: I seem to like it a bit more every day as I haven't seen any breaking up in the video yet.  I still want to record some programs from CNN and see until I am sure.  That was the channel I had most trouble with.  I also fell that it responds to the remote faster than the old one.  One place I see it faster is with CraveTV.  It is definitely faster by at least 2 seconds(I know it may not look like much to some).  Overall, I am happy I went with 7150 and even more so that I got one in the first place.  

rayrayjj
Rockstar

@vishwa:I'm glad you like it and I like the crave tv app to (deadwood)and oz and all the showtime shows that have been added,just got into the affair and it seem like it could be good,also like Ray Donovan..Bosch is really good too...I think Amazon did a good job making Bosch..5 stars for Bosch..Hope your PVR works good for you recording CNN,I like CNN to..