Is my PVR defective??

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Resident

I am having problem watching recorded tv programs and also live tv.

Periodically when I am watching a recorded program, and I fast forward or reverse or do something else on the remote, my tv screen will go grey with no picture, but the tv sound is still working. Then seconds later the tv will go off and restart resulting in the recording i was watching being displayed as if nothing has happened. THEN while I was watching the LIVE hockey game last night, the screen froze, no sound and the remote would not work. The pvr eventually reset itself. Optik tv installed installed last week. I don't have anything else hooked up to the tv. I was just watching a recorded program (Thu Mar 26) and i fast forwarded and while that was happening, the tv went grey, no sound and then the tv rebooted and my program came back on.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The hard reset is not a recommended first step for troubleshooting and it can clear everything on the PVR. If he just got the Optik service recently, the PVR would have already gone through the system update. The hard reset does not always work either and if the power is interrupted at any point when a gear is on the screen it will fry the box.

Rod If it's a repeat occurrence you may want to talk to technical support. As Vishwa mentioned HDMI can sometimes have issues but from my experience doesn't result in a gray screen. Usually black. Tech support can check if there's any errors on the connection that can lead to video degradation. If none they may come replace the PVR.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Ambassador

While the symptoms do look like a PVR with issues, how have you connected the pvr to tv?  If it is hdmi, you might want to try component just for a day or two. That will eliminate the hdmi handshake issues. Also, you might want to try the following:  I got this from someone else who got it from Telus.  I did that on a HD box(not pvr) and got good results.

In some circumstances where other troubleshooting steps fail to fix the problem with your TELUS TV set-top-box, there is a way to reset your set-top-box. This process is called a "Soft (DRA) reboot". This process will reset the set-top-box back to its factory settings. If thisset-top-box is a PVR (personal video recorder), doing this should NOT affect any pre-recorded programs or content on it. It is a thorough reset process that will take between 20 - 40 minutes for the software to reload back onto your set-top-box. To perform this soft (DRA) reboot process, please do the following:

1) Pull your set-top-box out so that you can see the connections on the back of it.

2) Unplug the power (small black round connection) so that all of the lights on the set-top-box go off.

3) Locate the wire that is connected to either the "NETWORK" or "TO WALL (VIDEO IN)" port and unplug it from the back of the set-top-box. 

4) With the connection to the wall or yourmodem disconnected, plug the power (small black round connection) back in. The set-top-box will begin a boot up routine and start an initialization process. After about a minute of trying to initialize, the set-top-box should produce an error, saying something to the effect "initialization failure".

5) You will need to unplug the power for the set-top-box and repeat step 4 so the set-top-box reboots 2 more times (for a total of 3).

6) On the 4th reboot, reconnect the wire that connects to either the "NETWORK" or "TO WALL (VIDEO IN)" port again before you connect the power (small black round connection) this time.

7) If done properly, on your TV screen you should see a grey single gear. In a moment, the screen should advance to display 2 gears and a loading bar near the bottom of the screen. This indicates that your set-top-box is re-downloading the software necessary to perform the reboot. This stage will take quite a while to complete (approximately 30 minutes). Once that is done, you should see a screen with 3 dots which means the software is installed and your set-top-box is finalizing the settings and initializing. Once it is complete, that should solve your problem.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The hard reset is not a recommended first step for troubleshooting and it can clear everything on the PVR. If he just got the Optik service recently, the PVR would have already gone through the system update. The hard reset does not always work either and if the power is interrupted at any point when a gear is on the screen it will fry the box.

Rod If it's a repeat occurrence you may want to talk to technical support. As Vishwa mentioned HDMI can sometimes have issues but from my experience doesn't result in a gray screen. Usually black. Tech support can check if there's any errors on the connection that can lead to video degradation. If none they may come replace the PVR.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident
Ok, thanks. Tech was here this p.m. and changed out the pvr, replaced hdmi
with other cables. I will see if this solved the problem.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That was fast!!!!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Rockstar

That's good tech supportsupport..