cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long more till we can get optik in the 900 block of chestnut st in new westminster?

morfao
Connector

I already many requests in the last two years but ouviously telus doesnt more customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I strongly suspect the 800 block (or anything north of Churchill) is run from a different RDAC/DSLAM from much further away. That distance will be the key limiting factor in the available internet speed. The 900 block is likely run from from an older box that likely only has ADSL2+ ports rather than the newer, faster VDSL ports. After some poking around, seems nearly everything on or North of Churchill St has little to no internet at all, let alone TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

- 800 Block of Chestnut > Full Optik, 50mbps capable.

- 800 Block of Cherry > Full Optik, 25mbps capable.

- 800 Block of Burnaby St > Optik, 15mbps capable only.

- 900 Block of Chestnut > No Optik, 6mbps capable only. (edited)

- 900 Block of Chilliwack St > No Optik, 6mbps capable only!!!

- 900 Block of Laurel St > No Optik, 6mbps capable only!!!

- 900 Block of Burnaby St > NO INTERNET PERIOD

- 800 Block of Chilliwack St > NO INTERNET PERIOD

A couple houses on Churchill Ave have Optik but they are right next to the 800 block of Chestnut/Cherry only. The rest have 6-15mbps.

I suspect there will need to be significant upgrades to the infrastructure in the area to give you Optik and Telus almost never releases plans for that. (Only exception is the recent fiber build out). I'm sure New West is on the upgrade list but it may take a while for the kind of upgrades needed in your exact area.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Odds are it is coming but a lot will depend on how much infrastructure is present in the area, how much needs to be upgraded. Chestnut looks like an older area so there may need to be a lot of upgrading still required if they don't have Optik there yet.

Optik TV is available in the 800 block of Chestnut with internet speeds advertised up to 50mbps currently, so it may not be much longer. Sometimes the availability tool on Telus' website is not fully up to date. If one of the network techs was on here they may be able to tell for sure. (Don't call Sales, they go by the availability tool only)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

morfao
Connector

Yea but the 800 block already had it for over year and a half now and my block still doesnt have it.its like they ignored it.i hate the satellite and want the optik like i had when i was in elford street,burnaby

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I strongly suspect the 800 block (or anything north of Churchill) is run from a different RDAC/DSLAM from much further away. That distance will be the key limiting factor in the available internet speed. The 900 block is likely run from from an older box that likely only has ADSL2+ ports rather than the newer, faster VDSL ports. After some poking around, seems nearly everything on or North of Churchill St has little to no internet at all, let alone TV.

- 800 Block of Chestnut > Full Optik, 50mbps capable.

- 800 Block of Cherry > Full Optik, 25mbps capable.

- 800 Block of Burnaby St > Optik, 15mbps capable only.

- 900 Block of Chestnut > No Optik, 6mbps capable only. (edited)

- 900 Block of Chilliwack St > No Optik, 6mbps capable only!!!

- 900 Block of Laurel St > No Optik, 6mbps capable only!!!

- 900 Block of Burnaby St > NO INTERNET PERIOD

- 800 Block of Chilliwack St > NO INTERNET PERIOD

A couple houses on Churchill Ave have Optik but they are right next to the 800 block of Chestnut/Cherry only. The rest have 6-15mbps.

I suspect there will need to be significant upgrades to the infrastructure in the area to give you Optik and Telus almost never releases plans for that. (Only exception is the recent fiber build out). I'm sure New West is on the upgrade list but it may take a while for the kind of upgrades needed in your exact area.

morfao
Connector

U say 900 block of chestnut st is 15mbs but the last time i enquired it was only 6mbs.if its true its 15mbs then i should be able to get it like 800 block of block of burnaby st?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I may have mis-typed that one. It's still showing as 6mbps when I type in random addresses from the 900 Block.

15mbps doesn't necessarily mean Optik. If it's just barely able to get 15 and it's on the old ADSL2 hardware, there isn't enough bandwidth. It's odd that the 800 block is eligible for 50 yet most of the streets around it aren't. The 800 Block of Chilliwack also has zero internet available.

Hey @ScottyJ - can you check on the availability tool / New West? I can't see how one specific block can get Optik 50 yet the surrounding streets get little to no internet at all.

ScottyJ
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@morfao  @Nighthawk Thanks for flagging - I'll see if we can't look in to this.

Cheers,

ScottyJ

morfao
Connector

Yes please.my dad used to have optik when he was on the other side of 10 and cariboo and he misses optik.he hates the satellit service

morfao
Connector

I was talking to telus earlier today n the lady mentioned that optik tv has been in the 800 block of chestnut since 2009.did telus just forget the rest of areas around chestnut.a year ago they mentioned that they were gonna spend over 10 mil in new west but i dont see any improvment.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

$10 million won't go a long way. The installation cost of one of the big neighborhood boxes alone fully loaded is probably into six figures. Add on the cost of running upgraded lines, etc and $10m can vanish pretty quick. I know they were laying fiber in many areas of the lower mainland. Any burying of lines gets expensive. Aerial fiber would be smartest and fastest to roll out but that can still take time and a lot of money.

There has to be a reason why that one block has it. I strongly suspect it's running off a different device than the 900 block is but only Telus can confirm that.

morfao
Connector

Can u pass along so this block can be upgraded soon or atleast this year

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not a Telus employee, nor am I in BC. ScottyJ was checking as mentioned above. It will NOT be a quick fix. I suspect your area will need a major upgrade and those can take years unless one is already pending. For a low population density area I imagine it will be some time.