Hockey Games Blacked out on TSN without Warning!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

RonAKA
Ambassador

Went to watch Leafs vs Montreal game earlier today from Edmonton. Blacked out.

Recorded the Jets vs Oilers game on TSN3. Went to watch it, and it is blacked out too. 

Some questions:

Who gets to watch these games when they are listed in the Guide? You have no way of telling.

Why do I pay $85 a month to see games listed in the Guide and then not be able to watch them? What am I paying for?

At least when I was with Bell ExpressVu, you would be notified ahead of time in the Guide that the game was not available. 

Not very impressed with Telus, TSN, or the NHL.

Community Power User
Community Power User
TSN owns regional broadcast rights to a package of Winnipeg Jets, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Ottawa Senators games. These regional broadcast rights allow TSN to deliver live coverage of the Jets/Leafs/Sens in the teams' respective broadcast regions.

Each team's broadcast region is determined by the NHL, not TSN. If you are receiving a blackout message on TSN during a Jets/Leafs/Sens game then you live outside the teams' respective territory, as defined by the NHL.

The NHL controls how their games are distributed. If you're a hockey nut, NHL Centre Ice is available (and it's not cheap) http://www.telus.com/en/bc/tv/premium-sports/nhl-centre-ice/

Can't blame TELUS as the guide data is provided by a third party is correct. You're just not familiar how blackouts work.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Community Power User
Community Power User

TSN Regional Blackouts:

TSN3

Features Winnipeg Jets games and the Jets games will be blacked out for customers in outside of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northwest Ontario.

TSN4

Features Toronto Maple leaf games and the Maple leaf games will be blacked out for customers outside Ontario, the Ottawa region.

TSN5

Features Ottawa Senators games and the senators games will be blacked out for customers outside of southeastern Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

Other blackout info: 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
RonAKA
Ambassador

Yes, I do blame Telus because their Guide is misleading. Bell ExpressVu's guide would warn you that you were trying to record a blacked out game. The Telus Guide allows you to record the event, and gives a description that does not include the blackout regions. Then when you go to watch it, all you get is a recording of a blackout screen.

Community Power User
Community Power User

That would be a good thing to suggest on Ideas.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy