Getting the optik box to route to Xbox for sound

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Jennifer1130
Neighbour
I'm using the optik box to use my Harmon Kardon speakers as my tv can't hook up directly. Is there a way to use an optical cable to connect the Xbox one to the sounds system using the optik box?
Community Power User
Community Power User
What speakers/sound bar are you using?

The (toslink) optic Spdif cable is output only on the Optik tv receiver.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Jennifer1130
Neighbour
Using the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 3, So unfortunately I can't connect it to my Panasonic viera 3d directly... using the optik box but want to be able to use both the box and the Xbox with the Harmon Kardon speakers
Community Power User
Community Power User
Your best to use the TV for all hdmi switching. Then purchase a Digital to analog converter. All audio passes through the tv

There are many to choose from, pick one that best suites your needs.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01DEMK91K/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502250276&sr=8-4π=AC_SX...

It's about the only solution for your computer speakers. Ideally you should purchase a proper sound bar with a optical input. The choice is yours.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Jennifer1130
Neighbour
Hmm... I explored that option but unfortunately with the Viera 3D, it doesn't seem capable of being the central point of connection and it does have optical (toslink) ports I tried using too - but, apparently you need to connect a receiver to the tv and run the cables through that and I've been trying to avoid that.
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to purchase a converter (linked below or find a similar one) to change to digital output (toslink) from the TV into a 3.5mm male plug (which your speakers use as an input). There is no other way around it as you're using something not for it's intended purpose. You don't need to purchase a receiver, just the proper cables/converter.

Any HDMI source be it Optik receiver, Xbox, etc the Audio can be passed through via the digital output (toslink) on the TV to anything you want.

A visual reference more or less what it does.

pic.jpg