First Run and Re-run

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
NB71
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, just switched from Bell to Optik.

When recording a series, if I select First Run Only, it will not schedule any recordings, if I select First Run and Re-runs it will start scheduling recordings but I don't want duplicate shows.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

NB71

Community Power User
Community Power User

Some examples?

Optik will not record shows you have recorded already, even if you select re-runs. Might there be few new releases just now?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
NB71
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for your reply, I think that may be it. Going to play around a bit and see.

Cheers!

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

For many shows the regular season has also ended so there won't be any first run episodes for them until the fall time. Smiley Happy

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk wrote:

For many shows the regular season has also ended so there won't be any first run episodes for them until the fall time. Smiley Happy

Yup! The ads for the fall TV lineup are out already, beating the Back-to-School clothing ads by a mile!

NFtoBC
Cherns
Coach

I've also encountered a few instances when a show was first aired a couple of years ago elsewhere (say, in the UK, as shown in "Original air date" in Info) but were new to Canadian tv, and were then considered re-runs, not first-runs.

It would be nice to learn just what algorithms Telus uses to distinguish between first and subsequent runs. But I won't hold my breath while waiting.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Cherns

That information would be supplied by the creator of the guide, so their Algorithm, not that of Telus.

NFtoBC
Cherns
Coach

Sure. It seems unlikely that we'll ever get a detailed explanation of the algorithm (not that there are likely any dark secrets in it, but more of a "Don't bother us" situation), so it probably doesn't matter much who we don't get it from.