cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Megathread] Emergency alerts

Lcar
Friendly Neighbour

Wondering why we are getting emergency alerts a few times every hour for Alberta.  We are in BC no where near the affected areas.

it defeats the purpose to have an emergency alert system when it is not accurate, people begin to ignore them.

56 REPLIES 56

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm in Alberta and I don't think I've seen one of the emergency alerts on TV yet. Got a few alerts on my phone for fires about 20+km away but that was it. If you're seeing the alerts in BC, I wonder if your TV profile is set correctly. You may want to reach out to tech support to confirm about seeing alerts from out of province.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Nmc2929
Just Moved In
I have the same question. Several times a hour we are getting alerts for Alberta. I would like to know how to turn them off

Tekmisfit
Just Moved In

I am also in BC and receiving the warnings for Alberta. I am using one of the Android TV boxes from TELUS and using the TELUS TV+ app.

My Chromecast Google TV in another room running the TELUS TV+ app doesn't receive these warnings and I don't see them on the computer either when using the TELUS TV+ webpage.

Oh also they pop up even watching YouTube on the same Android TV device.

Lcar
Friendly Neighbour

Wondering why we are getting emergency alerts a few times every hour for Alberta.  We are in BC no where near the affected areas.

it defeats the purpose to have an emergency alert system when it is not accurate, people begin to ignore them.

Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Hi @Lcar if you're getting alerts from the wrong location you would have to contact our care team so they can report it.  You can visit us on Twitter to our @telussupport of our Facebook page as well.  

BNB187
Helpful Neighbour
@Fabylous may I ask your position with Telus? And if this has been resolved for others? I’m being told that it’s the CRTC forcing this because Telus services AB. This logic escapes me. My previous TV provider services Atlantic Canada and I never once received an alert for that region.

These out-of-region alerts defeat the purpose of having this system in place. I just assume it’s not for my region and don’t even read it now. Just makes me angry, especially if it wakes me up from a nap!

Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Hi @BNB187 This is the first time I hear about receiving an alert that is nowhere near where you reside.  This is why I suggested to contact our care team to investigate on this situation and find possible resolutions.  From the comments, I see you are not the only one having the issue hence why the importance to report it.  Thank you. 

Spartan463
Just Moved In
I contacted Telus support twice about a month ago regarding this. The 2nd time they acknowledged the issue is being reported by a few and that a fix is being made and would come in the next update. That being said I'm getting pretty tired of this constantly going off and it's giving me good reasons to drop my piktv

@Spartan463 that’s better than the response I got.. they gave me a run around about CRTC.. funny the dozen people I know in my area that have the non-cloud based service don’t get the alerts.. sure sounds like a Telus problem and not a CRTC regulation.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Lcar @Spartan463 @Tekmisfit @Nmc2929, we made a backend change, are you still being bombarded by alerts? 

missprint2
Just Moved In
We get emergency alerts for both Alberta and Quebec and we’re in BC… just switched from Shaw and questioning our decision for this and other reasons… would love to get all the bugs worked out once and for all!

Nothrilled
Friendly Neighbour
Has anyone had numerous Emergency Alerts that are well out of area and had zero help from Telus support. Multiple times when watching none relevant to our area.

This is well out of my time zone
EMERGENCY ALERT
An Evacuation Order is being issued for residents in Lower Robb due to heavy rainfall. Please take immediate action to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. A Reception Centre is being opened in Robb at the Robb Multiplex/Curling Hall. The Reception Centre is open for anyone who needs to evacuate and for information for residents. Call 1-833-334-4630 for more information. Please call 9-1-1 for any emergency and if you need immediate assistance.
Press BACK on your remote to dismiss alert

wsad

Hi @Nothrilled I noticed a few others receiving alerts from places well outside their area.  These alerts are cell broadcasted through our network.  We are not choosing to which location they are going.  If you want more details on these alerts please see this link.  https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/alert-ready-faq

Since it seems random ( not everyone gets it) I’d thinking it’s a glitch that they haven’t figured out how to fix yet and just say it’s the CRTC system
This was in another message from a while ago
TELUS Employee

‎05-31-2022 07:34 PM

Hi @ulrichd (https://forum.telus.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/43214

We're working through a bug where the Emergency Alert System wasn't registering location appropriately. Obviously you don't want alerts that are in a different part of the country - so this should be resolved shortly. There is no option to
disable the Emergency Alert System - this is a mandatory requirement to provide as part of the TV license from the CRTC.

BNB187
Helpful Neighbour
@Fabylous what relevance is cell network when talking about TV on HOME WiFi network? I have several friends and family that are on non-cloud based Telus TV and they don’t get these alerts! This is a defect in the Telus system and the CRTC is being used as an excuse!

Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@BNB187 I'm sorry if you feel there is no relevancy to my reply.  The intent was not to blame anyone. 
@KHR a while ago you mentioned a problem with the alerts via this link (https://forum.telus.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/43214)   do you have any info if the problem is happening again?  Thanks for your help.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

We have seen alerts when watching out of province channels on Optik, but I expect re-broadcast of those channels to include the alerts on them.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Ugh!!!! Me too, non stop alerts for Alberta and now I’m getting alerts from Quebec. They just keep rebooting my system and it’s not doing anything.