cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between pvr box and digital tv box

Ashley13
Just Moved In
Just got set up with Telus tv and internet on the weekend and found out that the digital tv box I was sent doesn’t have pvr option. I wasn’t informed that the only way to record tv is to the cloud which is $10 a month and only saves the recording for 45 days? Seems a bit ridiculous they are making people pay extra for that feature now and you don’t even get the recording forever..

When I went to my local Telus store to ask about this the rep was surprised they sent me a digital box and not a pvr box which I didn’t realize I had an option of the two different hardware devices. He told me to call in and ask to switch devices but he couldn’t give me a solid answer on any differences between the two other than the recording option being included rather than the $10 cloud charge.

Curious - can you download all apps to the pvr box? I do like that I can easily access crave, Disney+, Netflix, prime all on the same device as my cable. Are there any features missing from either box?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Ashley13

The team made some changes to the Optik TV pricing structure to allow for more flexibility with the launch of our next generation of Optik TV. Previously, the Essentials package was $43 per month and a 4K PVR was $20 per month rental for a regular monthly price of $63. Now, the Core package is $35 (with the exact same channel lineup as Essentials), cloud recordings are an optional $10 add-on and a TELUS TV Digital Box is $10/month for a regular monthly price of $55. I'm sorry that the store rep didn't have all of the information, but we have sunset the legacy TV service; there is no longer a hardware option. The 4K PVRs are ~8 yrs old and are no longer being manufactured.

Here are a few differences between the legacy Optik TV system and the new Optik TV system:

Legacy Optik:

• Linux-based set-top box with limited 3rd party apps (Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Hayu)
  • IR connected remote (needs line of sight to the PVR or Wireless Digital Box) 
  • Local (hard-drive based) PVR with 400 hrs of HD storage (100 hrs of 4K) and no expiry. You can only watch recordings in-home from your Optik TV equipment.
  • Access to adult programming 

New Optik:

• Android TV-based set-top box that allows you to download 1000s of apps from the Google Play Store including Disney+, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Spotify etc.  Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube come pre-installed.
  • Backlit remote with Bluetooth and Google Assistant voice control
  • Cloud recordings with unlimited storage and 90-day expiry (recently expanded from 45 days). You cn watch your recordings on the go with the TELUS TV+ app.

Obviously, there are pros and cons with each, but as you mention, access to all apps on one device is a major improvement with the new Optik, as is access to recordings on the go.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The older PVRs and set top boxes are being retired soon so the default for new installs was the new Android TV based set top box with the option of a cloud based PVR. If you went with the base Core Channels plan for Optik/TelusTV+, it does not include recordings / cloud PVR. You can see the difference on the website when viewing the details of the plans. Previously the Core Channels plan was from PikTV and has the same basic channels and no PVR ability.

core.jpg  core2.jpg

If someone did select the Core Channels pack, I can't find anywhere under Customize Channels that offers the ability to add recordings to it. Also it doesn't mention that recordings are excluded on the plan details screen. That is likely something Telus should fix.

@A-B 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Ashley13

The team made some changes to the Optik TV pricing structure to allow for more flexibility with the launch of our next generation of Optik TV. Previously, the Essentials package was $43 per month and a 4K PVR was $20 per month rental for a regular monthly price of $63. Now, the Core package is $35 (with the exact same channel lineup as Essentials), cloud recordings are an optional $10 add-on and a TELUS TV Digital Box is $10/month for a regular monthly price of $55. I'm sorry that the store rep didn't have all of the information, but we have sunset the legacy TV service; there is no longer a hardware option. The 4K PVRs are ~8 yrs old and are no longer being manufactured.

Here are a few differences between the legacy Optik TV system and the new Optik TV system:

Legacy Optik:

• Linux-based set-top box with limited 3rd party apps (Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video and Hayu)
  • IR connected remote (needs line of sight to the PVR or Wireless Digital Box) 
  • Local (hard-drive based) PVR with 400 hrs of HD storage (100 hrs of 4K) and no expiry. You can only watch recordings in-home from your Optik TV equipment.
  • Access to adult programming 

New Optik:

• Android TV-based set-top box that allows you to download 1000s of apps from the Google Play Store including Disney+, Apple TV+, Paramount+, Spotify etc.  Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube come pre-installed.
  • Backlit remote with Bluetooth and Google Assistant voice control
  • Cloud recordings with unlimited storage and 90-day expiry (recently expanded from 45 days). You cn watch your recordings on the go with the TELUS TV+ app.

Obviously, there are pros and cons with each, but as you mention, access to all apps on one device is a major improvement with the new Optik, as is access to recordings on the go.

Thank you for all the information!

I recieved a bit of conflicting information between reps so this is helpful and nice to have it written out. Also nice that they upped the recording from 45 days to 90 days.

Blaine
Neighbour

This is interesting. We have an old 4K PVR with recordings on the box, which we also access via an old digital box on a 2nd tv. Only issue is 2nd TV wont pick up Netflix and Prime (2ND tv is a non smart TV) nor will the non 4K digital box pick up Netflix/Prime. It will however access the recordings from the 4K PVR as its hard wired via Coaxial cable. Is there a new 4K Digital box that will also pick up recordings via Coaxial cable from the existing 4K PVR we can use on he 2nd TV?. Thus the 2nd tv will then pick up Netflix and Prime also.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Yes, you can for sure upgrade your old HD Digital Box on your 2nd TV to a 4K Wireless Digital Box to access Netflix and Prime Video (Prime Video has never been available on HD boxes and Netflix stopped supporting their app on HD boxes in July 2023). As long as your new box is set up properly, you will still be able to set/edit/watch recordings stored on your 4K PVR. Your best bet is to get in touch with a customer service rep.

Thanks we do have a Telus service call later next week. Glad to hear.

Other thing is have an old T3200M modem. Used to have old internet spped 15, now 250 PF. Not sure if need a new Network Access Hub to replace old modem.

Not sure if a net access hub is only required if using telus WIFI plus service .?

Alos, Telus mailed a circular WIFI hub, don't think need this as live in a one level 1000sq feet condo.

Did a speed test wired ethernet PC 270 Dl same UL 270
Wifi PC / cell DL 90 UL 56.

So T3200 Modem looks to run PF 250.ok?

Sent from my Galaxy

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I think internet/Wi-Fi questions are best answered when you have the technician in your home as I'm not an expert, but what I can say is that I have a T3200 and I'm on internet 250 and it works fine, so you shouldn't NEED to upgrade your internet gateway. If you're having any Wi-Fi issues in your condo, it can't hurt to set up a booster if that's what they sent, or upgrading to the newer access point if that's what you have, but it's certainly not required.