cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Optik TV Wireless AP through RG6?

Phaelen
Neighbour

I had Telus Optik TV installed over the weekend and the installer put the Wireless access point in the basement and the wireless box has a weak signal.  I noticed on there is a RG6 connection on the back of the VEN501.  Can I move the AP to a more centralized area of the house and connect it through RG6?

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The VEN501 is used primarily for the wireless Optik TV box. RG6? Are you referring to a coax connection? If yes, no you cannot connect using it. (Also since when did the VEN501 have a coax port...) If you have a weak signal, call Telus and let them know it was installed in a bad spot and your box has poor connectivity. Either that or buy a longer ethernet cable and replace the one between the router and the VEN501 with it thus allowing you to move it further away.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What he should have done is install a Range Booster on another floor if he put the AP in the basement.

Phaelen
Neighbour

Thanks guys for the response.  I was confused with the Repeater which has 2 ethernet ports and the RG6.  The WAP for Optik TV does indeed only have 1 Ethernet. 

I just moved the WAP main floor and connected it to a random unused Ethernet port.  Interestingly, I tried connecting it to the ethernet on wired STB and it worked fine, but when I connected it to the PVR the box worked fine but the remote was extremely slow to respond.

So far pretty happy with the Telus service over Shaw but man is there a lot of equipment (I guess equivalent if I include the phone box and gateway).  The next step is to bridge port 1 and try isolate optik tv from home network. 

Does anyone know what the Ethernet 2 and coax connection on the Repeater is for?  I'm guessing the coax is what WestCoasterBC is referring to for the MOCA?