Connect Optik TV to Routers 5 Ghz band instead of Cisco VEN501 AP

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

Hey guys, so for Christmas I got a brand new NetGear Nighthawk X8 (R8500) and it is great! I switched over Optik Internet and all is running well, but as you know Optik TV runs off of a Cisco VEN501 AP that requires them to be Synced via WPS. 

What am I to do if I wish for the TV's to run off of one of the 2, 5Ghz Bands instead of having my Tri-Band wifi + an AP just for the TVs as the AP is incredibly slow and adds another network causing much confusion. Would there be any way to do this or are you basically out of luck on this one?

Thanks Guys! 

- Maleton3

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The wireless set top box likely will not work with the NetGear, especially if you have a PVR in the house. The VEN501 is an older device and was replaced with the Actiontec one, which was then replaced by the new T3200 modems that have everything built in, including the 5GHz band/AP.

A type of connection called multicast is required for Optik boxes to work. Getting multicast to work properly, if at all, on third party routers is not a simple task, especially for wireless. Many can't support it at all. The Nighthawk does have some advanced features but to be honest you're likely better off with the newer modem instead for the Optik boxes, and use the Nighthawk for your personal devices and network. That's a common setup a number of us have.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector

Hey guys,

I have no idea what to do, I spent hours on the phone with Telus support today trying to solve this.

Everything was perfect last night, Internet devices on the Netgear R8500 router and TV's on the VEN501 AP, overnight things got really messed up. The Optik TV now reports its default gateway as the R8500's IP Adress, and none of the Optik TVs work. Even when the AP is disconnected this does not seem to bother the TVs and they go on "Initialzing" but get stuck on this screen. 

My theory is that the Optik TV's have some how connected to the wrong network, but I can do nothing to solve this. The option to link via WPS never comes up, even when the AP is unplugged etc, and the PVR box and all other boxes show "Linked" even when the AP that has the link is unplugged and completely offline.

I am at a loss as to what to do. What can be done to get the Optik TV's back on the VEN501 AP instead of them connecting to my R8500? 

Thank You!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You had a discussion started at : https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Connect-Optik-TV-to-Routers-5-Ghz-band-instead-of-...

There is an answer there.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector

So you believe all these issues would go away if I ditch the VEN, get a T3200 and either bridge the router to it or just use it merely as an AP for the Optik Boxes? Whats your solution once we get the T3200, to bridge the Nighthawk to the modem or to simply use the T3200 as an AP for the optik TVs?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Maleton3 wrote:

Hey guys, so for Christmas I got a brand new NetGear Nighthawk X8 (R8500) and it is great! I switched over Optik Internet and all is running well, but as you know Optik TV runs off of a Cisco VEN501 AP that requires them to be Synced via WPS. 

What am I to do if I wish for the TV's to run off of one of the 2, 5Ghz Bands instead of having my Tri-Band wifi + an AP just for the TVs as the AP is incredibly slow and adds another network causing much confusion. Would there be any way to do this or are you basically out of luck on this one?

Thanks Guys! 

- Maleton3

Optik TV does not run off the Cisco VEN 501, rather it runs off the Telus Actiontec router,  with the VEN 501 providing the 5MHZ needed by the various Wireless set-top boxes.  If you have removed the Telus Actiontec router from the mix, you will have untold difficulties. You will likely be happier running all your internal network on your new router, leaving the Optik System on your current Telus device + VEN 501, as @Nighthawk has already suggested.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

@NFtoBC @Nighthawk Thanks for the suggestion guys! How would I go about this if I wanted to follow your suggestion? just by bridging the Nighthawk router to the Actiontec?

So far ive actually managed to get 2 out of 4 devices working without the actiontec (it is completely unplugged) I have 1 wired PVR working, and 1 Wireless working. Though my other 2 Wired PVRs do not seem to be working. Why would this be? I have the wired PVRs all plugged into the N ighthawk router and yet 1 works but 2 do not. Why would 1 work but 2 others would not? Is there any given reason why or any ideas you could give me?

Highlighted
Connector

What exactly have you done on the Nighthawk router to get the two Telus Optik boxes to work?  That would be helpful information.  Technically I think you would only have one PVR and three other iptv devices.  As others have said it is a relatively technical and sometimes difficult to get the Optik TV service running properly using non-Telus supplied equipment.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If I recall, I, like the others simply plugged the secondary router into one of the ports of the Actiontec. You can bridge if you want (there's an article on the site describing the steps), but we have found no difficulty with just plugging it in.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector

Most of us do the following:

1. If you have Telus Fibre for internet you can install a simple Gigabit switch as the first device after the Fibre ONT and then connect both your own router and the Telus T3200 to the switch.

2. If you don't have Fibre then connect the T3200 as the first device, bridge Port 1 on the 3200 and connect your own router to the T3200 Port 1. Telus will hand out separate public IP addresses to both the 3200 and your own router when you bridge Port 1.

3. On either of the scenarios let the T3200 handle the Optik TV - it is best if your PVR is hard wired (Ethernet cable) to the 3200 (and I think this might actually be required by Telus if they were to come around and do the install - this gives the PVR the fastest possible speeds compared to a wireless connection).

Sure you will end up with two networks but if you want you can lock down the Optik TV network to only the Optik TV devices and of course configure your separate "Internet" network via your own router.  But this way you can blame Telus for any Optik TV problems because you are only using their devices.

Highlighted
Connector

@JJR @NFtoBC Well, that was an...interesting setup haha. Basically I looked at the OptikTV Settings and found the Gateway it was connected too, etc etc and the Settings on the T1200H Router. I then got the Mask, DNS, IP, etc and matched the settings as best I could on the Nighthawk and disabled IGMP Proxy. This somehow let the 2 (1 wired and 1 wireless) connection work.

Thought at this exact moment I have bridged the T1200H and the Nighthawk so they are port 1 bridged. Though something odd has occured. I have 4 Optik TV's, 3 of them work but the last wired one does not work. In fact no channel loads or anything of the sort, just black screen, but I can not for the life of me figure out why as the T1200H and VEN AP are both running and every other TV is running and the Nighthawk is now just the router / Wifi, not the TV control (The T1200H takes care of that) Why wouldnt that last TV Work?

Best, - Maleton3

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You have previously stated you have multiple PVR. Can you clarify the devices you are trying to connect?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Ambassador

I assume you have rebooted the wired IPTV boxes, and have them plugged into the Telus router?  Also, you have your external Nighthawk router plugged into port 1, and have port-forwarded the Telus router?