Can I use my previous PVR?

Highlighted
Ambassador

Greetings,

I'm moving. I was planning on bringing my PVR to the new location because it has hundreds of TV shows on it. However, the Telus technician said that since my previous address was copper, it won't work at the new location, which is fibre.

I called Telus, and the said it would work.

Could someone please clarify? After the technician said my previous PVR wouldn't work, he gave me a new one. However, the new one he gave me is the exact same one that I have (Technicolor UIW8001). Shouldn't it work?

Thanks,

Shane.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Physically, it can work. You'll likely lose every recording though since the Fibre account will have a different ID than your old one and the boxes are tied to that ID.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

If boxes are tied to an ID, does that mean I can't record new shows? Will it work at all?

Shane.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can record new shows on whichever PVR was set up as the primary one at your new place. If you connect a second PVR it typically will act as a regular box instead.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Each location only has one PVR, and I would like to swap the two, because the previous one has my TV shows on it. Will I be able to view them after I move the old PVR to the new location?

The technician installed a new PVR at the new location. Do I have to do anything with it before disconnecting it?

I'm hoping that I'm not the first person to have this issue, and that someone can provide guidance.

Thanks,

Shane.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
As I mentioned earlier: You'll likely lose every recording though since the Fibre account will have a different ID than your old one and the boxes are tied to that ID.

Even if you bring your old PVR, the recordings won’t be accessible. The encryption used is also tied to an individual account.