cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I switch the box to wi-fi?

Vini
Helpful Neighbour

Hello,

I've been trying to reach Telus Support on the phone for a few days, but haven't been successful so far, the waiting time is too long (understandably, given the scenario). The chat agents are not available. Maybe someone here might be able to help me.

I had Optik TV installed by a tech recently, with two boxes (Arris VIP5662W). One was set up as wireless and works fine. The other one was set up as wired (Ethernet) and is not playing well with my router, so I'd like to switch it to wireless as well. However, I can't find any option to do that, or any way to go to the pairing screen described in the self-installation kit manual. Is this something I can do myself (how?), or do I need Telus to do it for me? And in this case, can they do it remotely or do I need to bring in a tech again?

Other possibly useful information:

1) If I connect the box to the Ethernet cable, it initializes correctly, I can see the channels, but no channel works for more than a few seconds, the image freezes and the sound disappears. If I switch to another channel, it works for a few seconds and freezes too. If I switch back, it works again for a few seconds and freezes again.

2) If I power up the box without the Ethernet cable, it turns on, the TV shows three green circles in the middle of the screen for a while, then goes black, then shows the "this will only take a moment" screen. Forever... 🐵

3) If I restart the box (again, without the Ethernet cable) and hold the WPS button in the Actiontec modem/router, in either order, nothing happens.

Thanks in advance,

Vini

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you using your own router in addition to the Actiontec T3200 that Telus installed?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Vini
Helpful Neighbour

Yes, I am. The T3200 connects to my own router (port 1 bridged), then my router handles the wired and wireless connections around the house (except for the TV box on wi-fi). All Ethernet ports on the walls are connected to my router.

The TV box that is already on wi-fi connects directly to the T3200, and it works fine. I'd like to do the same with the other box.

Thanks,

Vini

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try connecting the Ethernet connected Optik Box to the T3200M instead of your router. The issue describe of loss of signal after a few 10's of seconds is likely because your router lacks Multicast capability needed for TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are both of your Optik boxes the same model? If so, there may be a process to connect the Ethernet connected device to Wi-Fi. I'm doing this from memory, so I may miss a step.

1) disconnect the Ethernet from the Optik box

2) turn off the  T3200M for about 10 minutes
3) reboot it by pressing the power button for about 10 seconds

3) reboot the Optik box by pressing the power button until it restarts. It should go through an initialization process ending at a point where it directs you to press the WPS button on the router. You may need to do this a second time, if the WPS request does not happen the first time. It may take a while.

4) press the WPS button as directed

The Optik Box should connect to the router.

Otherwise, you may need to connect the Ethernet to the T3200M, or contact Telus for instructions that work better than mine!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Vini
Helpful Neighbour

Nice! I'll give it a try tonight and let you know.

Thanks a lot!

Vini
Helpful Neighbour

No, it doesn't seem to work either. Pretty frustrating... :o(

Thanks for trying, anyway. If you happen to remember something else, please let me know.

Cheers

Vini
Helpful Neighbour

Finally talked to a support rep. I thought my boxes were identical, they are actually different models. They are going to send me a new one...

Thanks again