Can I have 2 PVR boxes in the same house

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident
If I was to sign up for Internet/cable getting 1 PVR and 2 digital boxes can I buy a second PVR so that I have 1 PVR and Digital box upstairs for my landlords and 1 PVR and digital box downstairs for me?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You can usually add a hard drive to the lesser boxes and give them PVR functionality.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

You can only have one working PVR per account and all the recordings will be shared between all boxes, you and your landlord will share recordings.

The only way to get around this would be to have two seperate accounts for you and your landlords.

EDIT: This is assuming you are getting Optik TV. If you are getting satellite TV you can have as many PVRs as you want, and they do not share recordings between each other. Also satellite TV allows you to plug in a hard drive to expand your recording capacity, Optik TV does not allow this.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

You can have 2 PVRs but only one will function as a PVR, the other one will just be a regular stb.

I'm not sure if adding a hard drive would work though.

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You can usually add a hard drive to the lesser boxes and give them PVR functionality.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

You can only have one working PVR per account and all the recordings will be shared between all boxes, you and your landlord will share recordings.

The only way to get around this would be to have two seperate accounts for you and your landlords.

EDIT: This is assuming you are getting Optik TV. If you are getting satellite TV you can have as many PVRs as you want, and they do not share recordings between each other. Also satellite TV allows you to plug in a hard drive to expand your recording capacity, Optik TV does not allow this.

Highlighted
Connector

For Optik TV it is possible you can do that but only 1 PVR can be functional and another PVR would funtion as a regular STB, The 2nd PVR function needed to be disabled on the Network side

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

You can have 2 PVRs but only one will function as a PVR, the other one will just be a regular stb.

I'm not sure if adding a hard drive would work though.