cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any update in sight for PVR firmware?

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

The firmware update for the CIS430 PVR last year really did a number on it. Now menus take upwards of 5 seconds to appear sometimes, and the reformatting of menus to the left side of the screen means that it can be cut off when you're trying to TV change aspect ratio. I can't believe that Telus approved the update in the first place with such a ridiculous performance hit. Is there any update planned to fix this? If not, how about letting customers upgrade to the previous version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not really going to see much. Here you go. The latest PVR.File_000.jpegFile_001.jpegFile_003.jpeg
File_002.jpeg

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just complain to telus and they will give you a brand new IPV 6015. That's all i did, as the menu functions are absolutely pathetically slow now. The firmware is riddled with problems and cut off text, images under text etc.. Could go on and on what's wrong with it. Reported all the problems months ago and nothing has been done.

Don't hold your breath of a fix anytime soon. If you get a new IPV 6015 you will lose all your recorded shows, but your scheduled show will be saved. Honestly it's like night and day how fast the new box performs, even when compared to the 7050.

But I own my CIS430, so I doubt Telus will exchange it for a new model. And it worked well enough before the last update ruined it.

Sorry, I didn't notice your post saying you own your PVR. Perhaps look on Kijiji for an ISB7150? I saw one for sale in Edmonton for $75.

I owned a CIS430 and Telus exchanged it with a brand new ISB7150. Just phone them up and tell them your issues with your current PVR. If the person you talk to isn't helpful, just call again and speak with someone different. When I called the plan wasn't even to get a new one. It was offered to me. It's worth the effort to try.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

i purchased all my receivers refurbished. A pvr and a couple hd receivers. Think it was $130 all said and done. Telus swapped them out to the newest for free and i own them. They just took my old receivers which is no big deal, since i have the latest models now.

No term contract either, telus wants to keep you happy if giving you a new receivers is all that is needed to keep you as a customer they'll do that. Cheaper to give you something that costs them next to nothing, then try to acquire a new customer.

RonAKA
Rockstar

The Cisco 430 is quite old now. Their current PVR box is the ISB7150, and the very latest one is the IPV6015. I think you need to work on Telus to replace your 430 PVR. The only question would be whether to accept the 7150 or hold out for the 6015. They are telling me that the 6015 has not been fully tested and is not available yet in Edmonton. That could just mean they don't have one in the truck...

The "quite old" CIS430 was the current Telus PVR model when I got it less than 2 years ago, and as I said it was working fine until Telus updated the user interface for no apparent reason. I would also worry that they have dropped some features or connectors from newer models - but I can't tell because Telus doesn't seem to have any online guides or manuals describing these newer models. All their online documentation still refers to the CIS430.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's likely because the CIS430s and ISB7150s are nearly identical. Only difference is a slightly larger drive and faster CPU. Appearance-wise they look the same and function the same.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Has anyone got a link to a description, manual or even back panel photo for the newer PVR models?

Not really going to see much. Here you go. The latest PVR.File_000.jpegFile_001.jpegFile_003.jpeg
File_002.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. So from the photo of the new PVR rear panel, compared to the CIS-430 it's missing:

- USB port

- S-Video output

- RF output

- 2nd stereo audio output

I think the USB is on the front on the right. Still may not be active though. On the back is the Optical audio port active?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Optical port is active front USB port is not.

The CIS430 has both front and rear USB ports. Don't know if they're useful for anything but providing USB power, but I use the rear port to power USB devices like my Chromecast.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

It seems that Telus has done an update to the firmware in the last week or so that improves things a little. Not sure exactly when, although I found my box "Initializing..." once. I currently have Client version 2.6.31666.1228.

I've noticed 3 differences:

1. The menu is now more responsive, although "Settings" still hesitates a couple of seconds before appearing.

2. The Last Channel pop-up takes about half as long to appear, although it's still too long.

3. Video settings (like Aspect) are now remembered separately for each video output.

Any others?