4k receivers

Highlighted
Bjspink1
Resident
I have upgraded to Optik 4k and am wondering when the remote 4k receivers will be available as promised to me?
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only box that supports 4K, which is currently available, is the 4K PVR. Telus hasn't announced any basic, non-PVR, 4K boxes yet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Exhile
Ambassador
kikithecafekief101
Ambassador

what the price per month and or is including the free 2nd and 3rd set top boxes or is their a $10 dollar charge like the $20 per month for 4K PVR?

thanks Smiley Tongue

Community Power User
Community Power User

@kikithecafekief101 - The cost will be dependent on the package / contract you choose. You're better off contacting Telus sales directly for an answer that will be specific to your parent's Optik service.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@Exhile wrote:

Remote 4k receivers are out now. https://www.telus.com/en/bc/tv/new/hardware?lang=en&prov=bc

If you are referring to the "4K Wireless Set Top Box" on your link.... you have my attention!

Exhile
Ambassador

There is only one channel that is 4K which is worth watching but doesn't justify the switch to a wireless 4K receiver.  If there was more 4K channel content would I make the switch.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Agreed.... waiting for more non-sports content.

The situation is new clients are likely already getting 4K TV's.  Getting 1080 equipment now means they need to replace their equipment (and lose their PVR recordings) a few years from now for 4K.

I remember when 1080 came out.... the same argument that people would be happy with just 720p.

My neighbor has a competitor's product.... their house exterior has coaxial cable drill holes everywhere.  Love my Telus wireless 1080 boxes.

SmokeJV
Advisor

I agree with xl's comment above.  It's more about future proofing then having a need now.  Like the current 4K PVR has enough space for 100 hrs of 4K recording and 400 hrs of normal HD content.  Even in a heavy recording home 400 hrs of HD content is a lot.  But at least the PVR is ready for when more 4K content becomes available and has the space for it.

There is lots of 4K content out there on Netflix and Youtube, it just hasn't trickled down to normal TV yet.  Some YouTubers are even shooting and uploading 8K video to YouTube so that when you watch it in 4K it will look even better with the higher bitrate.

When they rolled out Fibre in my town a lot of people were wondering why they were getting the 4K PVR when they don't have a TV, but it's easier for Telus to just roll it out now then have to go back and replace them when customers phone in when they get a 4K TV.

Exhile
Ambassador

@xl wrote:

Agreed.... waiting for more non-sports content.

Rogers has four 4K sports content channels being SN1-4K, SN-4K, TSN2-4K and TSN-4K.  Toronto has Maple Leaf and Raptors games covered in 4K thanks to the camera upgrades in the Air Canada Centre.  I hoping Canucks, Flames and Oilers games will be covered in 4K soon because that's a market that will surely upgrade to 4K.

As for non-sports 4K content, the main Canadian channels like CBC, Global and CTV will take a while to upgrade.

vishwa
Ambassador

Just thought I report here about my recent 4K STB upgrade.  I got it about 10 days ago.  Initially there was a little problem with the wrong activation code.  Telus took care of it and ever since it has been great.  It can work both wired and wireless modes and I have it right now connected by ethernet cable.  The Telus technician was very nice and knowledgeable and when I told him that I may transfer the box upstairs in the future, he happily gave me a wireless extender box.  Overall it was a pleasant upgrade experience and the 4K STB is really fast(feels faster than the 4K PVR).  The model number is VIP5602(5662 bening the PVR).