4K broadcasting on optik

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Ddoel78
Just Moved In

With Rogers announcing they will begin broadcasting in 4k in March 2016,will the telus optik boxes support those feeds? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This has been discussed here before at length. The current boxes do not support 4K. Until the amount of content in 4K is drastically increased, I can't see many providers offering it. Most HD channels still broadcast in 720p and a number more still don't offer any HD options yet. The one other significant limiting factor would be bandwidth for 4K. When 4K becomes available, I suspect it'll only be on fiber connections as they'll have the most bandwidth to allow multiple streams.

And for Rogers, it appears it'll only be on the gigabit connections. Their announcement didn't say what the cost for 4k as well as gigabit will be.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Also.... what 4K stations are there out there?  Are they using SD cameras and upsizing the signal?

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

I bought the Vizio 4K tv after the announcement at CES last year and ended up giving it to a family member. There was only so much House of Cards a guy could watch before the novelty of 4K wears off. 

I also use my iPad to consume most of the content I like, so having a TV at all didn't make sense. 

As stated by @Nighthawk​ and @xl​, until broadcasters force the change, cable companies aren't going to invest. 

iPhone power user
Exhile
Ambassador

Looks like Rogers, Bell Fibe and Bell FibreOp have designated channels for both 4k Sportsnet and TSN channels:

Rogers: Sportsnet 4K – 998

Rogers: Sportsnet ONE 4K – 997

Rogers: TSN 4K - 995

Rogers: TSN2 4K - 994

Bell Fibe: Sportsnet 4K – 1395

Bell Fibe: Sportsnet ONE 4K – 1396

Bell Fibe: TSN 4K - 1399

Bell FibreOp: Sportsnet 4K – 609

Bell FibreOp: Sportsnet ONE 4K – 617

broadcastguy
Coach
Interestingly enough, the Juno's will be broadcast in 4K tonight on Bell's Fibe TV service. First awards show in North America. The content is arriving, albeit slowly.
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Main reason is that between Bell and Rogers, they own those channels. The majority of the infrastructure here is not ready for 4K yet with the exception of fiber optic customers. I suspect when Telus has a majority on fiber, 4K will follow.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
broadcastguy
Coach
This is very true. They have the benefit of owning the content. Western
Canada is usually a little delayed, it seems.
cafekief
Ambassador

i just had a network tech out Wednesday for a jell coded wire in the underground box casing degraded and lose and we had high spikes in our connection too

he only had the 7100's in his truck, so i couldn't get a replacement for my room.

when i was by his truck i ask him, have you heard about any 4k boxes, so he told me if your pvr is fine to hold out and wait for the new ones( EX 4k ones) i said would they be out in September of this year, he said properly! Sweet πŸ˜ƒ

Exhile
Ambassador

Aw yeah man! Ya know it!

Hell ya I'm gonna hold out til September......

I'm all pumped up for the next NHL season.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just wait until you see how much extra the 4K content and hardware rental is going to cost.

broadcastguy
Coach

If 4K is the natural evolution of TV viewing technology everyone says it is, then I would assume both hardware and content would be initially more expensive and eventually they'll include 4K channels to those that subscribe to the HD version of the same channel, etc.  

Rental costs in the east for the 4K PVR's aren't any more expensive that the HD boxes when they first came out.  $5 a month if you subscribe to 3 Bell services and $20 a month if you don't; you can buy the PVR for $599 outright.  It's going to be interesting how much we'll be charged a premium in the west, since we already pay much higher prices than those in Ontario.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell's basic cost for their 4K PVR is $20/mo unless you have 3 eligible services (phone/internet/tv) then just the PVR is $5/mo. There's a $50 install fee either way. Bell also does not appear to have just a plain 4K box, just the PVR.

Rogers charges $13/mo for their 4K box, no 4K PVR available yet.

cafekief
Ambassador

Searched up my postal code and got this!! YEAH πŸ˜› for sure my house is getting it and soon to be 4k set top boxes!! πŸ˜ƒCapture fiber optics.JPG