cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K PVR install

viperdiablo
Neighbour

Just wondering what to expect for the 4K PVR install. I can't seem to find many pictures online for this new PVR. I see a few from bell. It looks like there is no coax port on the back. How does it get installed if no Ethernet outlet by tv. Thanks for any info.

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rayrayjj is our resident expert on 4K. Let's see if he shows up with a comment!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Mine is running off of ethernet cable because I had to put my good 4k in my basement and no there is no coax cable outlet,and for tv station there is only tsn 905 and you only get a few football games,Sportsnet is supposed to be coming,im not sure if the NHL and NFL channels will be in 4k but it does upscales normal tv to near 4k tv content,there is a big difference in-between the 4k box and the normal Optic boxs because my son has a Optic box in his room with a 4k tv and there is a big difference,maybe it's just my tv because its the top of the line and his is mid-range 4k tv.

rayrayjj
Rockstar
If you have no Ethernet cable you can't have it installed😣I was gonna have to run mine around my hole kitchen but I moved my tv down stairs so I could hook it up.I could have made holes through out my house or rip off $3000 worth of base boards but I chose to move my tv downstairs and save the hassle.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rayrayjj wrote:
If you have no Ethernet cable you can't have it installed😣I was gonna have to run mine around my hole kitchen because when I built my house I wasn't thinking and I only put one outlet in the kitchen,how stupid was I,i have 4coax cable outlets in my living room but no phone jacks🤔Every bed room has a phone jack and coax out let but my living room doesn't,duuuhhh😕

You can fix that when you build the next one!  Robot LOL

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

NFtoBC

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I just jumped up in the attic and ran cat6 down every wall I needed it at in my previous house. Couple hours later all terminated, jacks and called it a day.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

viperdiablo
Neighbour

No ethernet cable means no install?? Is this really true? I dont see anywhere on telus site that says ethernet cable is mandatory for install. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The 4K PVR does not support coax. Ethernet is the only way to connect it. If you have a standard Optik box, those have coax on them still but are 1080p, or if no coax you can get the wireless set top box (1080p).

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@viperdiablo wrote:

No ethernet cable means no install?? Is this really true? I dont see anywhere on telus site that says ethernet cable is mandatory for install. 

They will run it if necessary to make the connection, but not always in the locations you might choose, given your druthers.

@WestCoasterBC has the best solution - run the cables yourself or find someone who can help you with placing through a concealed route. Telus usually will terminate your Ethernet cable if you do not have the tools.

Our place is also difficult: partially finished basement, cathedral ceilings, but when I was renovating the living room, I made sure to run a few lengths of Cat 5e through the otherwise impossible spots. You can run Cat 5 or Cat 6 behind a thick baseboard, behind a cove moulding. Rare earth magnets will allow you to pull a string through large cavities such as joist or stud spaces. If you are investing in high end entertainment, the cable runs are but a small part of the setup.  There's lots of solutions, though you may have to patch a few holes!

NFtoBC

There's a wireless 4k terminal with no PVR coming so I've been told by a Telus representative. That's what I'm waiting for but until then, I'm stuck at 720p with the Optik wireless terminal.

viperdiablo
Neighbour

Ok just got off a chat with telus tech. She said they would use a moca adapter if no ethernet cable is available. Two moca adapters if for example the router is upstairs and 4k pvr is located downstairs.