What's On? - Christmas Movies on Optik TV

Community Manager
Community Manager

Christmas bells are ringing, children are singing, and I’m catching up on my favourite Christmas movies.

While I don’t expect you to watch every Christmas movie that exists this year, feel free if you’re up for the challenge. Instead, I thought I’d share my top picks with you as well as our list of showtimes for Christmas movies playing on TELUS Optik TV. So pick up some mini marshmallows for that hot cocoa, you’ve got some movies to watch!

All of the below movies are available either on TELUS Optik TV or VOD. Make sure to check out all the apps and goodies we have on Optik TV this holiday season

We’ve included the Optik TV listing times in the attached PDF to help you set your PVR Smiley Wink Make sure to check back weekly for an updated PDF.

Downloadable Holiday Guide on Optik

For The Whole Family

Elf 2.jpg

Elf

Who doesn’t love watching a grown man in an elf costume run around spreading Christmas cheer?

Buddy (Will Ferrell) was accidentally transported to the North Pole as a toddler and raised to adulthood among Santa's elves. Unable to shake the feeling that he doesn't fit in, the adult Buddy travels to New York, in full elf uniform, in search of his real father. As it happens, this is Walter Hobbs (James Caan), a cynical businessman. After a DNA test proves this, Walter reluctantly attempts to start a relationship with the childlike Buddy with increasingly chaotic results.

Santa Clause 2.jpg

The Santa Clause

Tim Allen’s transformation into Santa is something I could watch every year!

Scott Calvin is a divorced father whose strained relationship with his son, Charlie, begins to mend only after a bizarre twist of fate transforms him into the new Santa. When the current Mr. Clause falls off the roof on Christmas Eve, Scott dons Santa's suit, and he and his son are whisked off to the North Pole. There he meets Bernard, the head elf, who tells him about the Clause, a contract stating that whoever puts on the Santa suit must also take on all the responsibilities that go with the position. Scott isn't too thrilled about his sudden career change. Charlie, however, is overjoyed.

HomeAloneThumb.jpg

Home Alone

Obviously a classic for my generation, but also a good reminder of the importance of a home security system.

When bratty 8-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) acts out the night before a family trip to Paris, his mother (Catherine O'Hara) makes him sleep in the attic. After the McCallisters mistakenly leave for the airport without Kevin, he awakens to an empty house and assumes his wish to have no family has come true. But his excitement sours when he realizes that two con men (Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern) plan to rob the McCallister residence, and that he alone must protect the family home.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2.jpg

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Why can’t anything be easy for the Griswalds?

As the holidays approach, Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) wants to have a perfect family Christmas, so he pesters his wife, Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo), and children, as he tries to make sure everything is in line, including the tree and house decorations. However, things go awry quickly. His hick cousin, Eddie (Randy Quaid), and his family show up unplanned and start living in their camper on the Griswold property. Even worse, Clark's employers renege on the holiday bonus he needs.

A christmas story 2.jpg

A Christmas Story

I’ll always have a place in my heart for little Ralphie. From whimsical lamps to bunny costumes, this movie is a seasonal tradition in many homes.

Based on the humorous writings of author Jean Shepherd, this beloved holiday movie follows the wintry exploits of youngster Ralphie Parker (Peter Billingsley), who spends most of his time dodging a bully (Zack Ward) and dreaming of his ideal Christmas gift, a "Red Ryder air rifle." Frequently at odds with his cranky dad (Darren McGavin) but comforted by his doting mother (Melinda Dillon), Ralphie struggles to make it to Christmas Day with his glasses and his hopes intact. 

Kids

arthur christmas 2.jpg

Arthur Christmas

I just saw this movie for the first time last year and fell in love with it. Clumsy Arthur struggles to save the day with his very “interesting” grandfather.

When a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe.

a_christmas_carol1.jpg

Disney’s A Christmas Carol

Another classic tale that kids can enjoy though beautiful animation.

From Walt Disney Pictures comes the magical retelling of Charles Dickens’ beloved tale — Disney’s A Christmas Carol, the high-flying, heartwarming adventure for the whole family, starring Jim Carrey. When three ghosts take penny-pinching Scrooge on an eye-opening journey, he discovers the true meaning of Christmas -- but he must act on it before it’s too late. Complete with spirited bonus features, this exhilarating and touching Disney classic is destined to be part of your holiday tradition, adding sparkle and heart to all your Christmases yet to come.

dr-seuss-how-the-grinch-stole-christmas.jpg

Dr. Seuss How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I’m pretty sure everyone has seen this film, but if your kids haven’t yet, it’s a great classic to share with them.

Based on the beloved children's book by Dr. Seuss, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" follows the exploits of the title character who is infuriated by the celebration he sees down in Whoville each year at Christmastime. He vows to stop it and -- dressed as Santa -- drives a sleigh into town on Christmas Eve, removing all traces of the impending celebration. He watches gleefully from his perch on the mountain above, sure that when the Whos awake and see that their holiday decorations, gifts and feast are gone, they will be sad. To his surprise, the Whos celebrate anyway, leading to an unexpected response from the Grinch.

Polar_Express_350x220_v2.jpg

The Polar Express

Little ones will be in awe with this journey to the north pole. And I love how it captures the essence of believing in the magic of Christmas.

Tom Hanks and director Robert Zemeckis ("Forrest Gump"; "Cast Away") reunite for "Polar Express," an inspiring adventure based on the beloved children's book by Chris Van Allsburg. When a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe.

Date Night

Love-Actually-Gallery-2.jpg

Love Actually

If you’ve seen this film, 3 words describe my feelings: Gold pendant necklace.

This movie is a Christmas Eve tradition for me.

Nine intertwined stories examine the complexities of the one emotion that connects us all: love. Among the characters explored are David (Hugh Grant), the handsome newly elected British prime minister who falls for a young junior staffer (Martine McCutcheon), Sarah (Laura Linney), a graphic designer whose devotion to her mentally ill brother complicates her love life, and Harry (Alan Rickman), a married man tempted by his attractive new secretary.

Nostalgic

a-charlie-brown-christmas.jpg

A Charlie Brown Christmas 

I grew up watching this movie every holiday season, and still get emotional when I hear the song Christmas Time Is Here.

Linus reminds the Peanuts gang of the meaning of Christmas, in a beloved holiday classic. As Christmas approaches, Charlie Brown is depressed; he confides in Linus, who tries to cheer him. He visits Lucy's psychiatric booth, but she's no help. He tries throwing himself into the pageant, but it only makes him feel worse. Finally, he decides that they need a Christmas tree for their play -- but his selection leaves the rest of the group laughing. Then Linus reads his friends the story of the Nativity, which prompts them to work on decorating the humble tree and exclaim gleefully, "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!"

miracle-on-34th-street-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Miracle on 34th St

Because Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind - Kris Kringle

In this Christmas classic, an old man going by the name of Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) fills in for an intoxicated Santa in Macy's annual Thanksgiving Day parade. Kringle proves to be such a hit that he is soon appearing regularly at the chain's main store in midtown Manhattan. When Kringle surprises customers and employees alike by claiming that he really is Santa Claus, it leads to a court case to determine his mental health and, more importantly, his authenticity.

Comedy

bad santa wide.jpg

Bad Santa

Who knew a dysfunctional thief could change a young boys life?

In this dark comedy, the crotchety Willie T. Stokes (Billy Bob Thornton) and his partner (Tony Cox) reunite once a year for a holiday con. Posing as a mall Santa and his elf, they rip off shopping outlets on Christmas Eve. This year, however, Willie is falling apart. He's depressed and alcoholic, and his erratic behavior draws the suspicion of mall security (Bernie Mac). But when befriending a small boy brings out his kinder side, Willie begins to wonder if there is still some hope for him.

bad moms christmas.jpg

A Bad Moms Christmas

I think anyone with a mom can relate in someway to this adorable comedy.

Under-appreciated and overburdened moms Amy, Kiki and Carla rebel against the challenges and expectations of the Super Bowl for moms: Christmas. As if creating the perfect holiday for their families isn't hard enough, they'll have to do it while hosting and entertaining their own respective mothers when they come to visit.

What are your favourite holiday movies?

-Rhonda