cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Fabylous_1-1607009671980.jpeg

Since I was a little girl, my mother used to tell me the importance of giving and allowing time for others without the expectation of getting something in return. At first, I was like whaaatt? But I thought life was about give and take.

My mom used to take us to all kinds of events where she would actively give her time. Her volunteering work was done when the event ended, she never worried about the length of time it took to volunteer. My sister and I were there with her, exhausted, frustrated, and ready to leave hours prior.

As I grew older, I naturally felt compelled to offer my help at events because I wanted to do something to help. I now organize fundraisers for different causes within my community. I am actively looking for events where my services were needed. I have learnt a lot from listening to other people’s stories, and the impact I made when they thanked me for just listening. Helping others has become soothing to me to know that I can brighten someone’s life with a smile or a conversation. Volunteering is giving a safe space for someone in need. When I give back without expectations; I've already been given the satisfaction of doing something right.

Sadly, with this pandemic, I have not been able to offer my help physically. However, at the beginning of the confinement, I was contacted by an organization I volunteer with on a regular basis. They provided a list of elderly women living on their own, I called them regularly to ask them how they are doing given the current situation. It was such a great moment for me to be able to help at a distance. Since the Holiday season has started, I plan to contact these women again to let them know about Christmas baskets and give them such cheer during this trying time.

Here are some ways you can volunteer this holiday season:

• Volunteer to go grocery shopping for someone that is unable to
  • Volunteer at or donate to a food bank
  • Find or start a clothing drive
  • Make a monetary donation
  • Keep an eye out in your own community for other opportunities

Let us know in the comments below what volunteering means to you.

1 Comment