The Secret World of Mobile Apps: A Behind-The-Scenes Look

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi there. My name is Abby and I’m part of the team that works on the TELUS My Account mobile app.

It used to be that only customers with mobile phone plans could use the app. That’s why we’re excited to open the app to all TELUS customers - whether you have  mobile phone, internet, or Optik TV services.

Here are some of the things you can do with the app:

Billing - iOS.JPG 

Monitor- iOS.JPG

Review - iOS.JPG

Our newest update to the My Account app was made possible by feedback from YOU. So what do we do with the insights you provided us?

Have you ever wondered how an app gets made? Let me take you behind the scenes...

We started by looking at our data. How are our customers using the app?  We also read our user feedback (did you know we get 20-30 comments every day? Yes, we read ALL of them). Usage and billing are the most-loved parts of the app.

Once we decided what to focus on, our designer created wireframes to show teams at TELUS. Their feedback was helpful, but we were missing something critical - what our customers thought!

We camped out in TELUS stores to show our app designs to customers, incorporated their feedback and did more testing after that.

1.jpg

User testing in the TELUS Dufferin Mall store

Then, it was on to our talented development team to make these features come to life. It’s no easy task, and they do it twice - once for Android and once for iOS.

After that, our Quality Assurance  team takes the reigns - making sure the app can handle the most common combinations of account types, devices and scenarios. There are literally millions of combinations, so it takes time to decide what to test, run the tests and log all the errors.

2.jpg 

Lots of phones, lots of testing

After the bugs are squashed, the app is ready to go. We have a tradition where we ring a gong for every launch. The sound is LOUD, so everyone stops what they’re doing and gives a round of applause. We also celebrate with ice cream Smiley Happy

3.jpg 

Ringing the gong as we launched the app

We’re very excited about this launch, and we’re not stopping here. More new features are on their way.

Download the app now and let us know what you think. We’ll be listening!

google-play-button.svg.hi.png app-store-button.png