Fitness - Fit Tech to get you started

The holiday season is a wonderful time of year to reconnect with friends and family. If you’re like me, you spent a great amount of time roaming between brunches, cocktails, dinners and other gatherings with your favorite people (and some not so favorite). This resulted in me eating too much while not working out as often as usual.

January is the perfect moment to plan your fitness goals and get a fresh start on your fitness. Even if you don’t buy into the conceit of resolutions, for many of us the new year is the first time in a little while we haven’t been buried under holiday and end-of-year stresses. Time to work on a new goal!

Even with the best intentions, it can be a little overwhelming for beginners to move towards a fitness lifestyle in the new year. Nowadays, technology can help make that change a lot smoother and appealing. So many products are available but where should you start? I’ve personally tested a few that I’m sure will help kickstart your health journey. Below are a few easy steps to get you started, and the tech I use to stick to my 2018 plan for staying fit and healthy. 

Hydrate Like a Champ 

Dehydration is one of the leading causes of decreased performance.  

My wife constantly tells me that I should drink more water and keep myself hydrated. For some reason, I forget about it all the time. That’s where a fun gadget like the Hidrate Spark 2.0 bottle comes into play! It’s basically a water bottle that syncs with your smartphone via bluetooth. It keeps track of your water consumption, flashes when it’s time to drink more water and integrates with trackers and apps like FitbitApple WatchApple Health and Google Fit.

iStock-505917715.jpg

Did you know you should?:

• Drink at least 2-3 liters of water every day
    • Drink 1-2 cups of water with each meal
    • Drink 1-2 cups of water between meals
    • Eat watery fruits and vegetables (watermelon, celery, strawberries, cucumbers, etc.)

Set a Sleep Schedule 

Besides decreasing performance, lack of sleep makes you eat more and move less. You need 7-9 hours of sleep every night to maximize fat loss, muscle gain and metabolism.

iStock-598552096.jpg

4 Steps to better sleep:

• No caffeine after 2 p.m.
    • Avoid high-intensity exercise in the evening
    • Avoid alcohol right before bed
    • Establish a pre-bed routine

Google Home is a great tool to assist on your health journey. Set reminders vocally on the assistant which are accessible on your smartphone or tablet. lt allows you to set and manage reminders for your workout/fitness or sleep schedule.

• Hey Google...
    ...set reminder for bedtime at 9 PM everyday
    ...set alarm for bedtime at 9 PM everyday
    ...schedule <event> for me on Saturday at 8 PM

Wondering what else can be done with your Google Home? Take a look at the Google Home In Real Life blog post. 

Move 30-60 Minutes a Day 

Many experts say that sitting is the new smoking. Plenty of people who exercise regularly don’t do much outside of the gym. Walking improves recovery, digestion, circulation, blood sugar management and mobility.

iStock-518184256.jpg 

To add steps to your day, you can try the following:

• Start the day with a walk
    • Take the stairs
    • Walk 10-15 minutes after each meal
    • Walk the dog after dinner
    • Short but more frequent walks during work days
    • Go for long hikes on the weekend
    • Mix in some leisure activity like basketball, skating or soccer

It’s not always easy to find the motivation to move more on a daily basis. I’ve been using the Fitbit Charge for about a year now and it has undoubtedly helped me get on the move outside of the gym. Everything I need, all in one place and easily accessible from mobile, tablet or a computer. It allows me to track my steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed throughout the day. It also allows me to track my sleep and review my sleep quality by providing me sleeping trend.

No matter how big or little of a change you make with your fitness this year, it’s a step in the right direction (pun intended). The important thing is to get moving and take care of your health.

I’d love to hear about your journey and the steps you’re taking towards a healthy lifestyle, in the comments below.

Stanley.jpg  Meet Stanley from our Social Media team.

Stan has been a baseball player for the last 25+ years, making fitness a big part of his life. In his routine he likes to combine training with healthy eating and outdoor activity. Stan believes fitness is a lifestyle that you can share with your family, and enjoys training with his beautiful wife.

Stan’s passion for technology, video games, and health has made him our fit-tech expert.