Evolving the Neighbourhood

ScottyJ Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Today marks two weeks since the first release of the new Neighbourhood, and to celebrate this milestone: another release!

This is the fifth release of the new Neighbourhood if you count the initial one, and we continue to incorporate fixes, tweaks, and changes based on both our original roadmap to evolve and, more importantly, feedback from the community.

In a way, there are four communities we've been designing and working for, each with different needs and expectations:

1. The Readers: those looking for information, and reading through what we have. For them, we want things clear, clean, and discoverable.
  2. The Contributors: those posting questions, writing responses, and engaging in conversation. For them, we want the right set of tools and ways of organizing content.
  3. The TELUS Team: those who moderate conversation, administer the community, represent the brand, examine analytics, etc. This creates a need for brand consistency and the right tools and tags in place.
  4. The Super Contributors: those who take contribution to a whole other level by feeding back about the community, reporting spam, identifying improvement opportunities, and contributing regularly and consistently. This role demands a unique and refined set of capabilities that over-arches all of the above in many ways.

As we work to improve upon what we have here, I'm proud to share that we have improved by 200% in the last two weeks, and today's release improves performance even further. Moreover, we've expanded the WYSIWYG editor to allow more formatting functions, and have added filtering in to search results to better help people find what they're looking for. For the contributors and super contributors, we've extended the list of "recent activity" posts on the Neighbourhood homepage.

This all builds upon a stack of bug fixes that we've been constantly introducing, and I look forward to the next round of evolutions. Of note, we'll be re-introducing private messaging, as well as building out a space for curated articles of interest.

I'm very grateful to call myself a part of this community, and thank everyone for all the feedback they've shared so far. Keep it coming - we're listening, and we're implementing. And we're far from done.

22 Comments
v9
Rockstar

THUMBS UP! To ScottyJ-RussGodman-A_Kron & all the redesign team, for the latest changes release, You Rock,.Hu-ha!  First thing I did was try to "Sign In" as <v9> and I got it. So I can comfirm this bug is fixed. I send another feedback from my PC later. Bye <v9>

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Doing a quick test.... Some thoughts...

• Latest activity does NOT appear on mobile browsers like Safari (iPad), nor Blackberry.  "Popular discussion" does not count.
  • Latest activity should list the topic/subject ONCE, not multiple times for each post
  • tried to report spam.... I would like to be given an opportunity to describe why.  Then again, when I report spam... is it working?  There is no indication to say "Report" works... it might be just a dead link.
  • I posted some ideas over the weekend... mysteriously they are missing.
  • thank-you for allowing me to sign in with my ID once again.
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Ideas appears to be broken.  My ideas posted on the weekend don't appear.  I tried to add another idea just now and it appears to save, but then I cannot see it moments later when I try looking for it.

(Update, didn't click "Newest").

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Latest activity is not sorted chronologically descending.

Neighbourhood Alum

@v9 @xl fixed the two character username issue - glad login is working for you both again!

@xl latest activity doesn't show on non-desktop by design (you can see how pages respond to different screen sizes on desktop by resizing a browser window horizontally and watching how the elements react). I think "latest" is more relevant than "popular", though, so let me have a look in to this.

There's already a ticket open on the chronological sorting, but I'm not 100% with you on showing threads once - I like treating posts as individual entities there and given each author their due. I agree this might take away from showing all the latest topic updates, but can also show what discussions might be "trending" by virtue of activity. What do you think?

I see your most recent idea (the Optik Smart Remote screen size on Android, right?), but don't see anything from the weekend. I don't know why. We'll monitor this.

Spam reporting is still a work in progress. I'll get an update there tomorrow.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I was thinking of showing posts once to free up vertical space for additional posts.... especially with RSS feeds not working.

Glad you can see my idea... however I can't see it.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Just realized, there is no "logout"  option.  This is risky when using this forum at public computers or computers the user does not own.

Neighbourhood Alum

@xl Make sure you're looking under "Newest" ideas (the drop down) to see yours. To log out, tap/click your avatar in the upper right - there's a Sign Out option on that menu.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hmm... took me awhile to figure out "Newest" and Avatar to get to those features.... doesn't appear intuitive to me.  I'll leave others to comment.

v9
Rockstar

Here's the latest <v9> assessment of the improvements-released on Dec-08-2014 @3:00PM 

1) I'm happy that Now I'm ABLE to Signed In freely. But as pointed out by "xl" There's an issue to Signed out. Now we know it pop up by clicking our Avatars. But what about those ones, who don't logged In this "Neighbourhood-Blog" How they would know. It appears that in the "Mobile ver. there's a bug-That it get Signed out by itself, when you switch to another board it asks again to Sig In. PS-Check this out.

2) Advantages detected: I like it that (Huge circular icon) rotating counter-clockwise-before open is cool. Also it appears the new (Version 2.0) it has boosted not only the SPEED to open the website, but to Navigate as well on the (User-Interface) Kudos for that improvements.

3) Special feature missed on "Mobile Version" I can't see the whole version page in my Cellphone. I'm Un-ABLE to view the right section, where appears the [Most helpful Authors & the Last Activity] The last ver. it used to display this link: <Version/Full> To view the full page, we "TAP" the link: Full If is in the list for next releases, disregard the request. CU <v9>

Community Power User
Community Power User

Maybe a caret next to the avatar would be the reminder to look for logout?

I'm still seeing posts disappear, and do not see a commonality. Please see my comments elsewhere on this. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

XL said: I was thinking of showing posts once to free up vertical space for additional posts

I agree with this. A popular topic could completely consume the Latest Activity space. Most discussion fora simply promote recent activity to the top of the list, no matter the number of comments.

NFtoBC

v9
Rockstar

After a 2nd Review of the changes released on Dec-08-2014: I present to the Re-design team, some additional features that, either are missed or should added to the new Version.

1) Text field "Tools-bar" it was added the [Bold + Italic +Underline: Also-H1 H2 H3]  The H1+H2..Substitute the [Font size] Insn't. Where [H1-Appears to be the default Font--that is approx..size 12] When clicked [H2-H3] the Text get bigger. We would rather have a single (Button with a Drop.Down arrow-like before). So we choose our preferred size.

2) We missed the "Previewbutton. Is useful to see, how the post will actually look like, when is posted & when Previewed if changes are needed, we swithed to  [Rich Text] button to fixed it--But this one is missed too. So we're able to "EDIT" a post, Yes - we're but only, when the post it's been sent it by clicking the (Drop down arrow) but it's been reported as bugged. Let's review & return this feature.

2) Spellchecker is missed too. The software is using the Fix as you go typing Speller-Although it does the job-Most users prefer the old one. Once finish typing, you clicked the [ABC-Speller] you'll see at glance, what are the words to fixed it. Instead of stopping to correct errors. Loosing concentration in what-We've in mind to write. PS returned it.

I'll stop here. More feebacks soon - Thks for reading <v9>

Community Power User
Community Power User

Just wondering if this CPU thread can be checked out: Seeking feedback on forum board design

I entered a few comments but they seem to have disappeared (sort of). I can see there are 3 new posts, but can not access them. I know I created two posts there.

Thanks!

NFtoBC

Community Power User
Community Power User

Note: adding a new comment on page 1 of this multipage discussion fails. This may also occur in other situations of comments being posted on pages other than the last.

NFtoBC

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

If the latest activity is not available for mobile browsers (ie Blackberries and iPad's)... have we considered a link at the bottom to show the full site instead of the mobile version?

BTW.... who would like to see Latest Activity font to be smaller to cram more in?  I would.

Neighbourhood Alum

@v9 H1/2/3 are for headings sizes, and are separate form body text size. We're adding more consistency in look and feel of posts by confining the number of font sizes (three headings and body text). There shouldn't be a need to preview, since all formatting is honoured in the WSIWYG editor.

@NFtoBC I haven't been able to replicate disappearing posts. Is there a reproducible way to make it happen?

@xl We've reduced font size and expanded how much is showing in the Latest Activity Smiley Happy There isn't a link to mobile/full version of the site because there aren't multiple versions - it's one responsive design. I agree, though, that Latest Activity is an important element, so we're looking at how it can be made to fold in to the mobile view, as well as have it list the latest topics with activity (as opposed to posts). I think this is something a few people have asked for.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@ScottyJ

This thread will not accept my posts: http://forum.telus.com/thread/id/49779

It indicates 4 replies, 3 of which are my invisible ones.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I had to create a new message, as editing my previous one would not allow me to add an image.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Is there a way we can get to the last page and/or last post quickly?  I find it painful to need to open the topic, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe to the bottom to choose the page and then swipe, swipe, swipe again.

v9
Rockstar

E V O L V  I  N  G    T H E     N  E  I  G  H  B  O  R  H  O  O  D

On Dec-12-12-2014 @ 3:18 PM: The ADMIN - ScottyJ..Who led the (Neighbourhood-Blog) Delivered his latest assessment of the feedbacks, sent by members. Let's quickly review its content for the membership.

1) He stated regarding the (Font size-feature) that the [H1/2/3 - are heading sizes] and separated from the Text size. In other words, we've only 1-default [Text font-size] to typing our posts. But one inconvenient observed is the "Post text size" it look bigger in comparison, with the used in other forums & too blurry to read it. Plus the Space between paragraphs is wider, reducing its appearance. Anyway we've to get used to until-reconsidered in the near future.

2) Preview posts: No plans to re-introduced. So WYSIWYG - So <v9> you've to carefully reviewed, your confusing posts-No chance to previewed,.Hehee! . We'll worked out. But what about the (Links testing) The last time I hoover the cursor, over a link didn't show up the (Hand icon- So no way to opened) Any member, have idea how to deal with that-shared .

3) Viewing-Forum Home Page in Cellulars: They would try to fold in the Mobile-view. I don't quite understood the point of that "There aren't multiples versions" Suppose the former "GUI" created by Lithium was the [Ver.1.0 ] The newly Interface is [Ver. 2.0] Do am I right [y/n]. In resume what-we need is to view the entire "Home page in cellphones" and problem solved.. Let's wait for next fixes release,. !! Seasons Greetings !! from <v9>

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I noticed the forum has been very busy in the last 12 hours.  We need to give more space to the "latest activity" listings or make the text smaller.

Please fix the RSS issue.