Amazon Prime Video - January 2021

Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy New Year!

With Amazon Prime now available as part of the Optik TV experience, and the Prime Video app on the Optik TV 4K media box, there's a ton of great Amazon Original content available through Prime. There's always a new movie or show everyone's talking about, and now's your time to catch up and join the conversation. Let's take a look at some of the awesome new content streaming on Amazon Prime in January!

📺 Most Anticipated 📺

One Night in Miami

This looks amazing. The highly anticipated directorial debut of Oscar winner Regina King, One Night in Miami is the fictionalized story of four iconic figures: young boxer Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali), activist Malcolm X, singer Sam Cooke, and NFL legend Jim Brown as they meet together for one evening in a Miami hotel. Based on a 2013 stage play, One Night in Miami has already screened at TIFF and the Venice Film Festival to overwhelmingly positive reviews and awards.

These four spend the night learning how to cope with their newly found fame, while they learn about what's important to themselves and each other. Personally, I've always been a huge fan of films that portray real life celebrities, but give us stories to help learn more about the impacts that fame and celebrity have on them. The cinematography and acting in this look top notch, and I can't wait to dig in. One Night in Miami begins streaming January 15 on Amazon Prime Video. 

🎞 Currently Watching 🎞

One of the best things about Amazon Prime Video is how many seasons of great shows there already are to binge on. Whether you've always been meaning to catch up on a show, or heard good things but never started...Prime Video has you covered. Let's take a look at a series that I'm currently hooked on.

The Expanse

Hands down one of my favourite sci-fi series of all time, The Expanse is dramatic, dense, and one of the best written series ever. With a fifth season that just dropped on December 16, as well as a sixth and final season coming next year...you'll have plenty to catch up on. I promise it's worth it.

81UhEuKJiSL._RI_.jpg

Set in the distant future where humanity has already colonized the entire solar system. A group of antiheroes find themselves in the middle of a cold war, with conspiracies and dangers threatening to toss the entire system into all out war at every turn. There are three large interplanetary powers at play, the UN of Earth and Luna, the Martian Congressional Republic, and the Outer Planets Alliance. All three are in a constant struggle and the main characters must navigate the political labyrinth to keep the peace.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm a sci-fi nerd through and through, and this series definitely scratches the itch. Fair warning: this series is dense. We're talking Game of Thrones amounts of characters and storylines, and you'll need to watch closely to keep ahead of what's going on. If you do though, you'll be rewarded with one of the best sci-fi noir-detective stories ever. The cliffhangers and plot twists in this show are second to none. All five seasons are streaming on Amazon Prime Video, with a sixth season on the horizon.

Disclaimer: For all shows/movies, please refer to the Maturity Ratings associated with each programming prior to consumption. See primevideo.com/terms for details. Amazon, Prime Video and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.