why would TELUS send accounts to collections with little to no notice

Impressed
Resident

I have been a solid TELUS customer for many years without incident. I canceled a mobility account almost 2 years ago. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I received a collections notification in the mail just the other day.  Apparently I did not pay the balance on the mobility account after canceling almost 2 years ago.  Now I do not have any issue with the fact that I need to pay the balance and am perfectly happy to do so, I do however take issue with the fact that depending on which TELUS employee I talk to I may or may not have received one and only one notification of late payment and they then sent it to collections.  I don’t remember receiving a notification, I have had one TELUS representative tell me that I did not receive any notifications and another representative tells me I did receive one notification.  Yet interest has been charged to my account each month for almost two years and no bills were ever sent out.  This shows an extreme lack of consideration and respect for customers and I will seriously reconsider my continued involvement with TELUS services.

yours truly

extremely unimpressed

Lola
Leader

It's really up to the customer to make sure the final balance of a discontinued account is paid in full, and if Telus, or any other company, neglects to send a final bill, the customer should be aware that a bill may be owing and follow-up. I've always received a final bill from Telus after cancelling a service, even if the amount owing is 0, but until I receive that final bill, I don't consider the account closed, and would follow-up if a bill did not arrive at the proper time.

I think a company doesn't have to notify a customer when their delinquent account is sent to a collection agency, but a customer must receive notice in writing from the collection agency (which you received) specifying that a certain company has escalated collection, and an explanation of the customer's responsibility. Search the collection laws in your province, they all differ. In the end though, as I said, the customer is responsible for ensuring all accounts are clear long before collections gets involved.

Impressed
Resident

My point here is not necessarily the legal responsibilities of a company like TELUS but the ethical responsibilities of a company like TELUS. I am also not disputing the responsibility of the account holder to pay the balance due.  I am merely expressing my disappointment in the poor business practices that apparently have been adopted by TELUS.  I suppose doing the bare minimum to avoid legal responsibility is ok for some but I would hope that TELUS would take a little more pride and responsibility for decent customer service.  

Yours truly,

I guess it's all the customers fault

RDB
Friendly Neighbour

I don't know when it became acceptable to treat a client (or business partner), with this level of disrespect.  People have busy lives and you want to choose partners that work together to solve issues. If there was a miscommunication effort should be made to make sure that the client (or ex-client) is made aware, is a simple phone call ensuring the client has been made aware of the outstanding balance too much to ask for?  Moving the bill to a collection agent and thus impacting someone's credit history has adverse consequences to everyone involved.

As cellular service become more commoditized, the key differentiation will be the level of service a client receives.  Effort should be made to ensure customer satisfaction, if not for the fact it is common decency for the fact that it should eventually translate into higher revenues.

The above response from Lola seems short sighted and with all due respect not the response of someone I would want to do business with.  

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

I cancelled land line services last year and I checked to make sure the billing was zeroed out.   It goes two ways.    Telus should send out bills, but the customer should check too.

RDB
Friendly Neighbour

Again strongly disagree.  Why would Telus not just verbally contact the client to notify them of the issue or send out a registered letter?  Having an impediment such as a bill go to collections on your credit history over a trivial amount as most final bills are just hurts clients.  So verification that the client has been notified seems to be quite important.  Not to mention when a 3rd party bill collection agency is involved there is a transaction cost borne by Telus (e.g. they are paying the 3rd party to collect, or selling the debt for less than the total amount).  So you have now hurt your client by hindering their credit rating, increased your bad debt expense and reduced your revenue.  

Maybe some people have a lot of free time, but a fair number of us struggle to find time to keep up.  This stems from a variety of reasons, demanding careers, children, school, etc.  Not to mention the hold times of late when calling Telus (2-4 hours, see current forum posts).

Unfortunately I have to doubt the credibility of the pro-Telus posters in this case, and their inability to understand why we create and utilize these forums. Nobody is perfect, but we critique to refine the process.  Clients here are obviously not happy so there needs to be improvement. In my opinion it is hard to find the downside in creating a better process for both parties involved.  I do have a lot of respect for Telus with regards to other matters, but this needs work.  

I really think Telus needs to respect their clients better when it comes to bill payment issues especially since they are reporting to a credit bureau.

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

Telus sends out bills.  Every month. Either electronically or by paper.  I find it very difficult to believe that this was not done in this case.  Sending bills is their responsibility and I have no reason to believe that this wasn't done.  Yes, it is a big deal to have a hit on your credit but I have no doubt in my mind that Telus sent the bills out.

In order to have this amount go to collections, the person owing the money would have had to ignore the several bills that would have been sent by mail or electronically AND not checked online.

I don't have a credibility problem, thank you very much.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@RDB

I know folks who have received email and phone call for overdue accounts, so a process is in place, at least for home services. That you did not receive a final billing in the same form as you had previously is surprising, but I agree, a greater effort put into gathering payment before sending to collections would leave customers such as yourself much more satisfied.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TommyS
Friendly Neighbour
Right said!
The customer is always wrong seems to be the underlying mindset of that reply - the responsibility rests with the party looking for payment, in any business relationship, imo.
Joly
Neighbour

Joly
Neighbour
I canceled phone, paid bill in full at Telus store in mall. 18months later collection agency called with unpaid balance I owed them. I said I did not. I got my paid in full body and we compared. She said I owed 3 days late charges as payment was not POSTED til days after I paid. I said I have a stamp on my statement and a dated receipt that says my bill was paid in time. Well she phoned me everyday. Well now a new person started calling me She says I now owe $1100 for $6.23 bill over extra interest in 2 years. How the heck can Telus get away with thinking I would pay $6.23 because they didn't post the payment the day I made it. I don't owe late charges. And now to think I would pay over one thousand dollars for their mistake. This has got to come off my credit rating NOW!!!
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

You can always call into Telus Mobility at 1-866-558-2273 for a better explanation.  Normally Telus wouldn't send an account to collections if it owed under $50.  Also, it would be impossible to be charged $1100 in interest on a $6 balance.  I would call Telus customer care/collections and figure out what's going on exactly.