roaming in the usa

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

i have a iphone 3 and we spend 6 months of the year in the usa and would like to use my phone only for an emergency while on the road , (we only have our phone set up for phone calls) we do not have internet or texting.

on the teles site it says we can buy a roaming card for $25.00 for 50 min. if we purchase this and we only use 10 min. this year will it always be on our phone ....... i realize that the roaming charge is $1.50 min. but if you buy this card it will take it down to $0.50 a min. ...........................

Thanks kindly 

tony 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

For 6 months of the year.... I would consider a second prepaid phone.  You get data as well as voice calls.

Warning... many US prepaid phones will NOT allow you call back to Canada.  An alternative is Roam Mobility with an unlocked phone if you are not in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or Jellystone.  Roam Mobility DOES allow you to call a Canadian number.

http://www.roammobility.com/talk-text-data

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Search for the myriad of other messages on these fora for many options and suggestions to address your needs.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Guardian
Travel passes are good for 30 days from the day of purchase. I usually buy mine the day I leave. If you are in the US for 6 months you may want to consider going with a local prepaid phone.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Hello testella1, in regards to your situation, I also think that for 6 months, you should get yourself a prepaid phone from your local provider in the USA. This way, you can turn off your Telus phone and avoid the roaming charges. Thanks xray, I agree with you.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

For 6 months of the year.... I would consider a second prepaid phone.  You get data as well as voice calls.

Warning... many US prepaid phones will NOT allow you call back to Canada.  An alternative is Roam Mobility with an unlocked phone if you are not in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or Jellystone.  Roam Mobility DOES allow you to call a Canadian number.

http://www.roammobility.com/talk-text-data

View solution in original post