i didnt know .....credit question

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador
I wasnt aware that if u went back and forth to diff carriers it showed up on your credit so my question is how do i get rid of all that showing up ...i owe nothing and dont have a security deposit but need to improve my credit help should i go on a contract?
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Contact the credit report folks for the info you require. There are also lots of websites describing how to improve credit scores.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I didn't think switching carriers should not affect a credit rating, unless you owe them money.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Nope. They run a credit check quite often. That includes internet / TV and possibly landline for home as well. Bell got sued for that and lost if I remember correctly but they keep doing it. Not sure if that'll translate over to the Mobility side, but I'm guessing it's possible.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
This so sad.... Bell already has a reputation for overbilling and mischarging.... now they are famous for abusing credit checks.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Shaw and Telus actually ran credit checks on me when I first got their services. (Shaw first, then switched to Telus.) Didn't even know either of them did that until I checked my credit score about 18 months after getting Telus. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just about every company with whom you do not have an existing relationship will perform a credit check before offering you credit. It will be in the fine print somewhere. Even companies you have a longer term relationship with will check if you exceed certain limits. Your bank will want to know you are not overextended for the auto loan or mortgage, the alarm company for the $30 per month alarm service,and the cellphone company for the phone service. Some credit card companies also do a soft check regularly. I dropped my Canadian Tire card because they pinged my credit score every month I made a purchase (my bank cards did not). The credit score racket is a racket!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Rockstar

As many have indicated, it's definitely common practice for telcos to perform a credit check. An inquiry or two on your record doesn't impact the score, but if you are frequently bouncing back and forth between carriers, it will eventually have an impact.

I believe the inquiries stay on your record for 12 months, eventually dropping off if no activity (i.e. debt or irregular payments) is recorded.

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

12 months? They stay on there much longer than that. Hard hits will typically have an impact on credit score and that's what telcos do. Soft hits (like what insurance companies do) don't impact it.

See: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/can-credit-checks-cramp-your-credit-rating-1.1841013

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Nighthawk If what the OP said rings true, they would be soft hits. When you sign up for a telco, it's just an inquiry to make sure you don't have horrible credit. You don't get hard hits from a telco unless you have poor payment history

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That I can confirm is incorrect. They do hard hits. I've had flawless payment history with them and a very high credit score, and when I added Optik, they hard hit anyways without advising prior to that any kind of credit check was involved.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Greetings Nighthawk, I agree with you, you should have been warned about it, I use to sell TV equipment for Bell Canada (10 yrs ago) but we were selling, not renting. The only time a credit check was involved, it was for financing the equipment on their Bell home account. But we had to tell them about the credit check. 

Today, I'm guessing it's required because of the value of the equipment you get when subscribing to a TV service. I'm with Bell at home and I have 3 HD receiver, 1 modem and another big box that I have no clue what's it's doing but it's very expensive stuff, all provided by Bell. I had a good history with them but otherwise, they would have run a check. 

I can tell you that for mobile devices, we use to run credit check back in 1999, which was the year that we saw the first Bell Solo prepaid devices, no credit check.