cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cost of calls when airtime is exceeded

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

My usage for this month is already in the red.  It shows many minutes of airtime over the limit.  However, the "cost" column on my usage chart for calls I have made, shows $0.00.    I'm not sure why.  Many of them are 1-888 long distance, which *might* make them free except that my service agreement says such calls count against airtime.  I am only half-way through my billing cycle, so I want to adjust my calling behaviour to minimize cost.  My question simply is, when the usage chart shows $0.00, as it does on all my calls so far this month, will those calls actually be free?  Or will the bill, when it arrives, tell a different story?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

Good news!  I called telus on *611 and after looking at the details they said (a) I have no charges yet on calls made this month; and (b) there's a new plan just like my old one, but with unlimited local calling.  They switched me to the new plan just like that!  Now I can call as many minutes as I want with no charge.   Woman LOL

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are a number of your minutes in the evenings during the free calling period? If so, those are not chargeable.

You can also check in My Account to see if an unlimited minutes Add-on is available to you.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks!  Some of these call minutes are in evening times, but most of them are not.  Still, they all show $0.00 cost.  I do not see unlimited minutes add-on available.  I have one optional add-on so far, is "voice&lit PPU".

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then to err on the side of caution, I suggest curtailing your use, as I recall PPU being on the order of $0.50 or $0.60 per minute.

You could use other tools for outgoing calls to minimize your consumption.

NFtoBC

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks again.  Yes I am already in "caution" mode.  Am just a bit confused about these $0.00 cost on the chart.  Like, I can understand how it would show $0.00 for the minutes before I reached the airtime limit, but for minutes past that, I don't know why it shows $0.00 if it's not free.  I would want it to show a cost, or at least a question mark?  I understand the exact charge details won't get resolved until bill time.  At this point, with the information in front of me, I am so confused, I don't know if I was to use the phone in the "free" calling evening/weekend period, will it actually be free now?  I think *611 for Telus support is always free.  I'm not working today.  I might invest an hour or too waiting there.  🙂

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

Good news!  I called telus on *611 and after looking at the details they said (a) I have no charges yet on calls made this month; and (b) there's a new plan just like my old one, but with unlimited local calling.  They switched me to the new plan just like that!  Now I can call as many minutes as I want with no charge.   Woman LOL

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Happy to learn you found a solution!

Watch your next bill to confirm there are no pro-rata charges applied to your old plan for switching mid-month. 

NFtoBC

digestif
Friendly Neighbour

The new unlimited local plan is the same cost as the old 150 local plan.  So, I should be good.  Thanks for your advice.