cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my monthly bill be reduced when device is paid off?

LLC
Just Moved In

My iPhone is nearly paid for under the two-year contract I signed. If I keep this phone, will my monthly charge be reduced or do I have to sign another contract? If I buy a phone outright (ie. not from Telus), where should I look to find available rates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Once your contract ends, you are free to switch to any other contract, whether Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) or one with a new subsidized phone, or continue on a month to month basis with your current contract and phone. Telus does not separate the phone subsidy from the plan, so you are often best to upgrade your phone every 24 months.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Once your contract ends, you are free to switch to any other contract, whether Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) or one with a new subsidized phone, or continue on a month to month basis with your current contract and phone. Telus does not separate the phone subsidy from the plan, so you are often best to upgrade your phone every 24 months.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

TwitchyPuppy
Advocate

@LLC wrote:

My iPhone is nearly paid for under the two-year contract I signed. If I keep this phone, will my monthly charge be reduced or do I have to sign another contract? If I buy a phone outright (ie. not from Telus), where should I look to find available rates?

Hi! Your monthly price won’t be automatically reduced. You’ll have to pick a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) if you want a lower rate. No need for another contract.

If you buy a phone outright, same plans are applicable. (If not from Telus or Koodo, make sure it’s unlocked) Visit Shop -> Plans -> Individual Plans -> Bring Your Own Phone to see marketed plans available to everyone. However, you can contact customer support directly to inquire if they have any special offer/rate/discount for you!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

When my contract ended, the price remained the same. It just switched from 2 years to a month to month plan. What I did do when my contract ended, and my device was paid off, was I called Telus and asked about a "bring your own device" discount for the current plan. That was a while back so they might still do that. Never hurts to ask 🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Syaoran
Rockstar

As others have mentioned.  Your monthly fees and pan will remain the same.  The bulk of Telus plans are focused towards those who want a new device every 24 months or sooner.  For those who don't, there are the BYOD plans that you can switch to if you are happy with your current device and wish to continue using it but want your monthly charges to decrease slightly. 

There are pros and cons to both ways of doing things.  For those who don't upgrade at least once every two years and don't need that plan subsidy to pay for the device.  Then BYOD plans are more suited towards that demographic.  With phones getting so expensive, especially in Canada.  Subsidies are the only way for some to get the phone they want and to get a new device every couple of years.  If you would prefer a plan where the phone payments are an add-on to your monthly bill for a term.  Then Freedom Mobile is the only Canadian provider that I am aware of that has their plans modeled after T-Mobile USA's plan structure.  Freedom's plans and coverage do not come close to what the Bell network has for service though. 

@Syaoran wrote:

If you would prefer a plan where the phone payments are an add-on to your monthly bill for a term.  Then Freedom Mobile is the only Canadian provider that I am aware of that has their plans modeled after T-Mobile USA's plan structure.  Freedom's plans and coverage do not come close to what the Bell network has for service though. 

Koodo works like that. You have your monthly plan + device subsidy. When your balance is paid, you only pay the monthly plan rate, which equals BYOD plans.

Ahhh.  I should have known that.  It has been a while since I have had to deal with them for a friend, thankfully. 

I got emails from Telus telling me that any device not on a contract (i.e. BYOD plans) will be subject to a $10 service charge, thereby effectively negating any benefit to not being on a contract.
I wonder what they'll say when I tell them to cancel not only my phones but also my Optik and Internet.

@SunDog-- I got the same email about a 10.00 monthly increase for each line on my account not on a 2 year contract. The thing for me is, even with that 10.00 increase, my rate is still cheaper than the cheapest 2 year contract plan--my plan is THAT old. Cat LOL  Providers are slowly working around to eliminating any benefit of having an unlocked, no contract device. And you can thank the CRTC for that.

@SunDog Do you have any additional information regarding that?

I’m unaware of said service charge (whatever that means).

I know the promotional $10/month off we offer on additional lines is for 24 months.

"As a valued TELUS customer, we’d like to keep you informed of upcoming changes to your mobility account. In recent years, TELUS has dramatically improved network coverage, speed and reliability, and is proud to be Canada’s largest and fastest* mobile network. 

As mentioned on your June bill, the monthly service charge for wireless plans on your account that aren’t on a 2-year term, will be increasing by $10. This monthly increase will be reflected on your August bill.

We understand that a cost increase isn’t ideal, but as a valued customer, your new monthly rate plan will still provide you with better value than current in-market rate plans. If you’d like to explore alternative plans, please visit telus.com/plans

Please note that any mobility lines on your account that are currently on a 2-year term, will not be impacted by this monthly increase.

Thank you, and we sincerely appreciate your business."

I have 3 phones: 1 on a 2-yr contract since January and 2 others on BYOD that I'm paying $40/mo. each for. An increase of $10 on those represents a 25% increase.

I suggest anyone else in a similar situation to call Telus and see what they can do for you. Without going into detail, my individual complaint has been addressed to my satisfaction.

That’s my email too, except for May, not June:

Hi (Lola),

"As a valued TELUS customer, we’d like to keep you informed of upcoming changes to your mobility account. In recent years, TELUS has dramatically improved network coverage, speed and reliability, and is proud to be Canada’s largest and fastest* mobile network.

As mentioned on your May bill, the monthly service charge for wireless plans on your account that aren’t on a 2-year term, will be increasing by $10. This monthly increase will be reflected on your August bill.

We understand that a cost increase isn’t ideal, but as a valued customer, your new monthly rate plan will still provide you with better value than current in-market rate plans. If you’d like to explore alternative plans, please visit telus.com/plans

Please note that any mobility lines on your account that are currently on a 2-year term, will not be impacted by this monthly increase.

Thank you, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

The TELUS team"

And this notice was on my May bill:

"Messages and Updates

Update to your monthly rate plan

Starting on July 1, 2018, your monthly rate plan fee will increase from $60/month to $70/month. In accordance with the service terms, you accept the change by continuing to use the service. If you do not agree with this change, you may cancel your service."

The term “service charge” may confuse some people. It’s a rate increase. In my case, I understand it and it doesn’t bother me, yet. Cat LOL

I tried to edit this and it went to moderation, not sure why. Posting again.