cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi and easy roam

WorldTraveller
Neighbour
I’ll be travelling in France and India and will try to use free wifi wherever I can as Easyroam is not competitively priced at $12/day. If my account is easyroam enabled, and my cellular data is turned off, will I trigger easyroam if I use free wifi to text and access the internet?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

EasyRoam also deals with text messages and phone calls. You could put your phone in airplane mode with only wifi enabled and be ok, but make sure not to shut airplane mode off until you return home. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

EasyRoam also deals with text messages and phone calls. You could put your phone in airplane mode with only wifi enabled and be ok, but make sure not to shut airplane mode off until you return home. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks. That’s very helpful

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Note: you can’t send or receive texts (SMS) from a Wi-Fi connection. Other Apps may allow text-like communications between App users, but they are not as broad as SMS.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

So it sounds like if I have easy roam enabled, even if I have access to wifi, I will charged the per diem rate

The only messages that go over wifi are Apple's Messages on an iPhone/iPad. If you have an iPhone, you can still use Messages to chat with other iPhone users you know. Android won't work.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@WorldTraveller wrote:
So it sounds like if I have easy roam enabled, even if I have access to wifi, I will charged the per diem rate

Yes, unless you and your correspondents use an App such as WhatsApp, or Google Hangouts, etc.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"