Why is there data being used on my account but data is off on my phone???

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

As soon as I got my S6 and before the account (not shared) was switched over to it, the data was turned off. I NEVER use data, but have to have it as a minimum to get the phone. I have had the phone for just over a month now and have noticed trickles of data being used adding up to about 21mb. I know it's not much, but if in an emergency I needed to use my data for something and ran out because of this phantom usage, I could have an issue as I can't afford to go over. I don't trust that I will get notifications that I'm getting close and am not going to waste data checking if I have no access to WIFI. Could someone please explain to me what is going on and how to stop it???

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you looked in the settings on the phone to see what exactly on it is using the data?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

It's not showing any usage at all. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Hmm. In theory if Mobile Data is switched off, it shouldn't use any. It should also prevent you from using MMS messaging (like if someone texted you a photo or if you wanted to send one). Basic, plain texting shouldn't use data. Only thing I can think of is there may be some background system process or Google related one that is sneaking data in the background though I could be wrong.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

It is strange. I've never even tried sending MMS messaging and have never received any. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Interesting. If the numbers in Settings > Data usage are zero, and Restrict Background Data is turned on,  AND the statement 'No apps used data during this time frame' is present, I'd suggest escalating this with Telus.  Take a few screen shots to show your settings to help in the discussion.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I have escalated but they are side stepping answering so far.