cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to sign up for a shared data plan? This more than doubles my monthly bill?

Barry79
Connector

I am eligible for a new cell phone in May. I do not need or use any data plan. Why do I have to sign up for a shared data plan? This more than double my monthly bill . Surely there is a work around for this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tsizzle
Leader

The fact that its shared is really unimportant, if there's no one else on your account it works the same as any individual plan. You can keep your plan & add features to meet whatever min. commit they have for the device you want ($45 for Smartphone Lite, $70 for Smartphones), the reason your bill is going up is likely because:

a) you're taking a more expensive phone than your current one

b) your old plan was based on a 3-year contract and if you renew, you will have only a 2-year term

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

tsizzle
Leader

The fact that its shared is really unimportant, if there's no one else on your account it works the same as any individual plan. You can keep your plan & add features to meet whatever min. commit they have for the device you want ($45 for Smartphone Lite, $70 for Smartphones), the reason your bill is going up is likely because:

a) you're taking a more expensive phone than your current one

b) your old plan was based on a 3-year contract and if you renew, you will have only a 2-year term

I currently have a Blackberry on a 3 year $0 contract.

I'd like to get an Iphone 4s that is listed as $0 on a 2 year contract.

What I don't understand is why I should be forced to sign on a data plan when all I want is a phone that is offered on the same $0 dollar plan for a 2 year contract as my current Blackberry. Why is it necessary to get data when I don't need it?  If I needed data I would sign up for it,not being forced into it.