Upgrading Phones & Plan

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Lsad
Just Moved In

Honestly, so disappointed with Telus recently. In 2015 my Mom and I upgraded our phones and plans and received a very good deal from the Loyalty department. However, jump two years ahead and all they can offer is to wave our device balances. I would like to point out that both people I dealt with were very nice over the phone. 

I understand that times are tough for everyone. I would love to stay with Telus as we have been with them since 1998, but, the lack of incentives is very motivating to switch providers. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a semi-decent deal on phones and plans? 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ultimately, all yo can do is shop around of the best deal. Depending on your device balance, it may be a not bad discount. Of course there are sometimes deals by a carrier to specifically attract new customers, but be aware of what you are getting, including coverage, and travel options.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Mobility_Princess
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

When renewing a device on a contract Telus does offer a couple different options to help with the cost of devices. There is premium plus pricing if you are concerned are spending less upfront and would prefer to spend more monthly. Or if the concern was to keep costs lower monthly than you can spend more upfront for the device to get a lower monthly plan price. There's the Telus trade in program. You can trade in your old devices to get a discount off the new device cost. This is based on the store's discretion because of wear and tear. To get your approximate trade in value of your device use this link: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/services/trade-in/?&eVar35=http://www.telus.com/fr/mobility/serv...  Lastly depending on your province there are exclusive stores in Ontario and BC only offering specials for Chinese New Year of up to $180 off select devices until January 31. In BC it's only the lower mainland in Richmond and Vancouver. Apex Communication and Tom Harris for instance. If you click on the link at the bottom of the telus.com find a store page you can check with individual stores or in their flyers which ones are participating. In Ontario there are stores in Toronto, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, Scarborough such as Professional Communications, MobileAXS, Gravity Wireless Solutions, Communications MOBILENET. Those options could all help with the cost 🙂

Mobility Client Care Rep
Bug70
Just Moved In

I couldn't agree more. I always looked forward to the update device date but not now, the minimum plan to get a new iphone is $80/mth or $90mth. Is it just me or is that an insane amount for a cell plan? I thought mine was bad already at $65. EVERY other provider has better plans and deals than Telus. I've been a customer since 2001. I'm DEFINITELY looking elsewhere. Not sure why Telus has turned into this giant greed machine they've become. One thing though, the customer service reps are top notch. I've never had a bad experience. But the prices are getting way to out of hand.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A $90 plan nets you a $34/month savings on a premium phone, bringing the plan price to $55. A BYOD plan starts at $65, though a more realistic one with nationwide calling starts at $75.  Maybe not so much more than the plan you quoted.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"