cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data Plans

mharkiss
Helpful Neighbour

When will reasonably priced unlimited data plans become available? (eg: $20 add on)

I recognize that such a plan would be subject to fair usage clause. Seems that Canada is far behind the rest of the world (eg: Europe, USA etc..) when it comes to this feature. 

I don't think that people would really abuse the unlimited data component as there are other places we can get unlimited data such as Wifi enabled locations such as coffee shops, restaurants, hotels, household Wifi etc..

This would allow us to take advantage of use the full capability and enjoyment of our smart phones and intergration with our vehicles (eg: BMW, Ford's MyTouch).

Thanks. 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I was considering some of those unlimited data plans from other carriers.  While the price was great, it was not for me....

• they offered limited coverage before roaming charges kick in
  • they offered poor coverage indoors (concrete residential, office, or retail complexes)
  • they may throttle the service if they they think the service is being abused
  • there were not LTE, HSPA and some not even 3G.

True during moments of high usage Public wifi is a good choice.  Then again, if the wireless service is unlimited, it's human nature to just use it whenever out of convenience.

View solution in original post

mharkiss
Helpful Neighbour

I see there are some small carriers that offer unlimited data, but yes there definatly are limitations as far as coverage is concerned.

I live in Fort McMurray so I can't even get those carriers. Telus coverage has always covered me, just would be nice to have unlimited data on the Telus network. 

Yvon
Just Moved In

I live on a remote north coast island that has excellent cell service from Telus.

And there are land lines, but no internet available on those land lines.

so we have to use cell services for internet so most of us living are giving up our so-called land lines.

In town (on the mainland) I could have unlimited data and could even get TV for a very reasonable price.

But here we have to pay for  4GB, 6GB or 10GB plans at rates much higher than in town.

So TV is out of the question as is System 8 for our computers which relies heavily on data access.

What are we going to do here when System 7 is no longer supported?

contemporary software is designed to have continual access to internet!

On the Telus site it explains that they cannot provide unlimited data because of fraud and traffic.

Hard lines use traffic as well so I do not understand the difference?

@Yvon wrote:

On the Telus site it explains that they cannot provide unlimited data because of fraud and traffic.

A cell tower has only a certain amount of capacity.

That capacity is limited by:

The amount of antennas.

The amount of servers inside the shack.

The amount/distance of backhaul(connection to the world). The backhaul can be copper, fiber, or microwave repeater.

"Fraud" data, would be termed as someone with a virus infected computer using a cell tower internet stick and in constant high use.

"Traffic", is watching a high definition video and taking up a constant 4Mbps stream for hours on end, resulting in that much capacity loss from the cell system on that tower.

Companies that sell 'unlimited', you will be throttled to a certain slow speed once you have exceded their soft cap(usually 2Gb's), until that rate period ends.

DSL/Fiber internet to a home or business is a landline that can have its capacity somewhat easily increased.

A brand new cell tower installation can by a 1/2 million dollars to $1 million.

A Dslam(dsl) can be $70,000 for the hardware, plus a fiber backhaul to the nearest 'Central Office'(hardware shack).

--------

For the original poster of this thread:

Did you know how much car companies love tying in your cell plan to their vehicle you bought? They will track you everywhere and sell that to clients for more profit.

Privacy laws are so ignored by them, but then again, why is the infomation about that cell radio in your car, buried in the fine print... OnStar tracks people and reads various censors in the vehicle for their own purposes.

Can the car access your address book with a special app they want installed? Dishonest App's steal address books.

Two way communication car GPS units will track you and data be sold for profits.

5 REPLIES 5

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I was considering some of those unlimited data plans from other carriers.  While the price was great, it was not for me....

• they offered limited coverage before roaming charges kick in
  • they offered poor coverage indoors (concrete residential, office, or retail complexes)
  • they may throttle the service if they they think the service is being abused
  • there were not LTE, HSPA and some not even 3G.

True during moments of high usage Public wifi is a good choice.  Then again, if the wireless service is unlimited, it's human nature to just use it whenever out of convenience.

mharkiss
Helpful Neighbour

I see there are some small carriers that offer unlimited data, but yes there definatly are limitations as far as coverage is concerned.

I live in Fort McMurray so I can't even get those carriers. Telus coverage has always covered me, just would be nice to have unlimited data on the Telus network. 

Yvon
Just Moved In

I live on a remote north coast island that has excellent cell service from Telus.

so we have to use cell services for internet so most of us living are giving up our so-called land lines.

In town (on the mainland) I could have unlimited data and could even get TV for a very reasonable price.

But here we have to pay for  4GB, 6GB or 10GB plans at rates much higher than in town.

So TV is out of the question as is System 8 for our computers which relies heavily on data access.

What are we going to do here when System 7 is no longer supported?

contemporary software is designed to have continual access to internet!

@Yvon wrote:

A cell tower has only a certain amount of capacity.

That capacity is limited by:

The amount of antennas.

The amount of servers inside the shack.

The amount/distance of backhaul(connection to the world). The backhaul can be copper, fiber, or microwave repeater.

"Fraud" data, would be termed as someone with a virus infected computer using a cell tower internet stick and in constant high use.

"Traffic", is watching a high definition video and taking up a constant 4Mbps stream for hours on end, resulting in that much capacity loss from the cell system on that tower.

Companies that sell 'unlimited', you will be throttled to a certain slow speed once you have exceded their soft cap(usually 2Gb's), until that rate period ends.

DSL/Fiber internet to a home or business is a landline that can have its capacity somewhat easily increased.

A brand new cell tower installation can by a 1/2 million dollars to $1 million.

A Dslam(dsl) can be $70,000 for the hardware, plus a fiber backhaul to the nearest 'Central Office'(hardware shack).

--------

For the original poster of this thread:

Did you know how much car companies love tying in your cell plan to their vehicle you bought? They will track you everywhere and sell that to clients for more profit.

Privacy laws are so ignored by them, but then again, why is the infomation about that cell radio in your car, buried in the fine print... OnStar tracks people and reads various censors in the vehicle for their own purposes.

Can the car access your address book with a special app they want installed? Dishonest App's steal address books.

Two way communication car GPS units will track you and data be sold for profits.

@Yvon wrote:

To clarify...

• how close are you to Port Hardy?
  • if you have a land line... is dial-up an option?  Before I had high-speed, I used dial-up for my internet service.