cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus just ripped me $213 for call forwarding and $403 for roaming :-(

jkrause
Neighbour

I am a long time Telus customer - paying about $95 monthly for just voice & text and thought I had pretty much everything covered.  I was having a problem with my phone so decided to have my calls forwarded to my wife's cell phone until I replaced or fixed my phone.  I just got my bill and saw they charged me $213 in local air time because I was using call forwarding - what a rip off 😞

To top it off I was in Florida for a week in February and I got dinged for $403 in roaming charges 😞

I've used this same phone (and I thought plan) for several years while vacating in Florida and have never been ripped like that.  I called and complained - they said they would see what they could do - but they didn't do squat

My wife has a WindMobile account paying $45 monthly for unlimited calls, texting and data.

I can't afford to stay with Telus any longer - they will bankrupt me at this rate.  I just ported my Telus number over to another WindMobile phone and can't wait to see what Telus can ding me with for my final bill.  I've never had a free phone from them and not on contract - but I'm sure they will come up with some way to stick it to me one last time  🙂

19 REPLIES 19

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not sure how you think Telus ripped you off when you clearly never even bothered to read how call forwarding works. It's clearly stated on their website and is common knowledge forwarded calls use your AIRTIME.

"Call Forwarding is not available for TELUS Prepaid accounts.

If you forward your calls to a number outside of your local calling area, long distance charges are applicable. Even if your plan includes long distance within Canada and the US, long distance charges will still apply to forwarded calls.

Calls may only be forwarded to numbers within North America.

Call-forwarded minutes are considered part of your airtime as defined by your rate plan."

AS for USA Roaming it's commons sense you need to get a proper US ROAMING plan before leaving. Every company has been like this since cell phones have pretty much come out.  Pretty sure you've seen those Rogers commercials for Roaming in the US for $5 a day...

Sorry but this wasn't the fault of Telus. A simple chat on the phone or even live chat could have told you this.

jkrause
Neighbour

I know I should have double checked the roaming plan before we left - but we have been going to Florida for the past 6 years or more and have never had a problem until this year.  I didn't do anything different - but I'm willing to eat that cost.  It would have been nice though if they would have warned me I was reaching a danger level of roaming fees - just like they are mandated to do by the CRTC for data roaming fees when you go over $100.

I don't mind paying the AirTime rate for the forwarded calls - that is what I thought I should pay.  I'm paying $95 per month so obviously have a lot of AirTime minutes in my plan.  There is no long distance or anything involved with the forwarded calls - it is going from my cell phone to my wife's cell phone in the same house.  Every forwarded call was billed at .35 cents per minute even though it was well within my plan minutes.  I have searched high and low and can not see anywhere in my service agreement or anywhere on the internet where Telus charges .35 cents per minute for forwarded calls.

jkrause
Neighbour

I forgot to mention that I was paying for unlimited incoming calls on my plan.  So obviously all of those call forwarding calls that I was billed .35 cents per minute for were incoming calls and should have been part of my plan.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A $3 add-on might have saved you a bunch of grief:

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/add-ons/?INTCMP=LNK_frmCTA_TopNavigationAll_toAddonsAndApps

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

jkrause
Neighbour

I appreciate the input guys - it has incentivised me to dig a little deeper into this matter.

I was paying for so many different add-ons that I thought one of them must have included call forwarding. I can do it from my landline and just assumed it was part of my package.

If I didn't have the add-on why was I allowed to forward my calls? Can you show me anywhere that says Telus will charge you .35 cents per minute on top of your standard air minutes for any calls that are forwarded if you do NOT pay that $3 fee? In my opinion, the service should not work unless you pay for it.  

The CRTC has mandated that the onus is on your cell provider to make you aware in your agreement, in plain and clearly understandable terms, of every fee that you have to pay. If it is not there in clear terms that the user can understand - then any disputes must be settled in favor of the customer.

I have read my Conract over and over and can NOT find that extra fee anywhere in it.

Let's say I don't pay for voice mail service - then it shouldn't and doesn't allow me to send unanswered calls to voice mail. Plain and simple it doesn't work if you don't pay the fee. They don't send unanswered calls to voice mail and then charge you an extra .35 cents per call to send it to voice mail anyway.

So why doesn't call forwarding work the same way. You don't pay for it - you can NOT use it.

Pretty simple concept to me.

The CRTC ruled in Section A.3.i that "A service provider must not charge a customer any overage charge for services purchased on an unlimited basis."

I was paying for unlimited free incoming calls - so why was I paying an extra .35 cents to forward these calls. To me, that is an overage charge or extra fee.

Then in Section B.1.iv.a the CRTC ruled that:

"Contracts for postpaid services must set out all of the information listed below in a clear manner (items a-m):

Key contract terms and conditions

a. the services included in the contract and any limits on the use of those services that could trigger overage charges or additional fees;

Again I was paying for "unlimited free incoming calls" - I can not find anywhere where Telus says if you forward those calls it will trigger an additional fee of .35 cents per minute.

Perhaps I should just file a complaint with the CRTC and let them decide. But I would think that someone from Telus would see that they have made a mistake and they will take care of it.

Forget that I have been a loyal customer of Telus for more than 15 years - this should never happen to any Telus customer.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may pay for free unlimited incoming calls, but that is incoming calls to your cell phone specifically. Call forwarding is something entirely different. You would also be charged per minute for call forwarding if the number you are forwarding to is considered outside of your home service area regardless if you have long distance minutes included in your plan. It's in the fine print if you look. Roaming, as you already said, was something you should have checked into before you left.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

jkrause
Neighbour

As I said before - we were at home when the calls were forwarded to my wife's phone. My phone was not working so I forwarded the calls to my wife's phone. There is no long distance or roaming involved - we were in the same room. If the calls were being forwarded to a long distance number or a number not in my local calling area I would expect to pay an extra fee. That is written in their agreement with every client. But nowhere does it say you will be charged airtime plus an additional .35 cents per minute for calls forwarded to your local calling area.

After reading the new CRTC rules - it was pretty clear to me that Telus or any other provider has to clearly inform you what you will be charged for.

Can anyone here show me any Telus document saying they will charge you an extra fee of .35 cents per minute for any calls that are forwarded if you do not pay their $3 fee?

So I guess you think .35 cents a minute is fair - what if they decided to charge $10.00 per minute - do you think that is fair?

How about $100 per minute??? My point is they have to inform you what you will have to pay if you don't pay the fee. They can not just arbitrarily pick any amount they want to - it has to be published somewhere.

Maybe it is in your contract with Telus - but it sure is not in mine.

I think I am allowed 25 voice messages under my plan. What if my voice box was full and they decide to start charging everyone $5 for every call that goes to voice mail when your box is full. They inform the caller that your box is full and then cha-ching they charge you $5. It is not in my contract - but I guess you think they can do it - because they are the almighty Telus. In your world they make the rules and can charge you whatever they want.

Guess what - it does not and should not work that way. They have to inform you what all fees will be under various circumstances.

Wake up people - read the CRTC rules - they were enacted to protect the consumers against unscrupulous providers. In my opinion, they should take that next step and put a cap on voice roaming just like they have done for data roaming.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Voice roaming in the US it something that will not go away until one of the American carriers opens up shop in Canada and offers some hard competition. You do have the option to choose features of whatever plan you buy. If you decide to get one that doesn't have roaming, then it's buyer beware. If you didn't have roaming previously as part of your contract, rates change.  The onus as a consumer is to research and understand what we are going to spend our hard earned money on and ask questions when buying to ensure what we choose meets our needs.

$0.35/minute sounds like a long distance rate to me but it is possible it could be for a feature. I have no idea what it specifically shows up as on your bill.

For some options a cellular provider may not have a complete schedule of fees, but would have something in the contract OR the service terms that their lawyers will have seen fit to include to cover ANY potential fee that may arise outside of the options included with your specific contract. They like their lawyers, and the lawyers like money, so I can't see any likelihood where the lawyers would let this slip. Even under the CRTC rules. They'll have it somewhere, including on a past monthly statement or on their website.

So far in your posts, you haven't touched on specifics of your conversations with a Telus rep (specifically the Loyalty and Retention team). You'll find the most of the users on the forums here are NOT Telus employees, but other end users like yourself. Myself included. The answers to the questions you seek are with Telus. If you hadn't cancelled your service already, L&R likely could have explained what part of your contract or the service terms would apply to this situation. Regular Sales reps won't have the skills.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

tsizzle
Leader

Call forwarding is an outbound call, as well as having an inbound component. Using a really basic diagram:

Friend --> (call) You --> (call) Your Wife.

The first arrow is the inbound call, the 2nd is the outbound. In most cases your overage rate on voice minutes will actually be $0.50/minute but that would depend on your province. So while you may have free incoming, you do not have unlimited outgoing. Many people mistakenly try to use call fowarding to avoid charges when all it really offers is convenience.

@Nighthawk has addressed your roaming charges in plenty of detail so I'll leave them aside.

jkrause
Neighbour

In the bill under "Where You Called From" - it just shows as "CALL FORWARD"  then it is billed as "LOCAL AIR TIME CHARGE"  $0.35

As you said Nighthawk, this additional fee should be included somewhere in their contract or on their website someplace - but so far no one has been able to show me any document mentioning this .35 cent per minute fee for call forwarding.

I am going to try and escalate it by email to Telus and see if someone can get to the bottom of this.  

If not I'll go to the CRTC and see if they can help.

tsizzle
Leader

It's not an additional 'fee' or even a fee to begin with, its the charge for your local airtime. For whatever reason, you're getting charged $0.35/min which is cheaper than the airtime rate they have in-market so you are actually benefiting. 

jkrause
Neighbour

tsizzle - you are missing my point - this is on top of my airtime - it is an additional .35 cents per minute above and beyond what I pay for my airtime.  I already pay about $90 monthly for unlimited incoming calls, Canada wide calling, etc. and then they charge me an extra .35 cents per minute for any calls that are forwarded.  According to Telus service agreement there should only be an additional charge if you forward to a phone outside your local calling area or if you are roaming.  

I was at home and the calls were just forwarded from my cell phone to my wife's cell phone a few feet away.  There was no roaming or out of area calls made.

I am still waiting for Telus to reply to me email requesting an explanation.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You won't get anything if you try contact Telus by email. The group you need to talk to interact with customers over the phone.

jkrause
Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk - I had talked to a Telus rep on the phone - but he was of no help.

I just received a reply to my email from a Telus rep and I am sending a reply.

jkrause
Neighbour

I received an email offer of a credit of 25% of the fee as a goodwill gesture.  I believe the extra charge was an error so I filed a complaint with the CCTS online.

I just received a call from Telus and they agreed to credit me for the entire call forwarding fee of $213 plus taxes.  So thanks for the feedback guys - looks like this one is resolved with a happy ending for me.

Pocket
Helpful Neighbour

The details of your plan is on your bill or online account. If you do not have the 3$ call forwarding feature you are billed automatically per min aside from your unlimited plan. As for the roaming, maybe more calls were made this time or the calls lasted longer? Nothing is hidden but if you are unsure, ask prior to making changes to your routine, it's as simple as that. You could have saved a lot of money. 

river
Coach

im glad it worked out for you JKrause. Tleus has become very difficult to deal with and continue

to blame everything on the CRTC they even blame to new telus attitude and negative  outlook on the

CRTC  my plan the DATA OVERAGE is 100 .00 per gig  yes i have a great plan untill you go over

plain and simple not good buisness  KOODO is owned by telus and telus could learn from them as they are the way telus used to be !!!!   and aslo if i had the ambassador plan as the monitors have for living on this board  plain and simple i would be so happy  you guys have a crazy amazing deal and good for you  but koodo iss where im headed !!!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There's an Ambassador Plan? 

I've the same plan I subscribed for in December 2012, well before the existence of this forum; though looking forward, maybe the one I should have kept was the one from 2009!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

river
Coach

yes there shure is there is also a telus ambassador department that they do not like to talk about

and were kinda shocked i knew about it