Telus Charged $5,000 for roaming at sea WITHOUT NOTIFICATION

Syaoran
Ambassador

What is it you expect from Telus to do on this matter?  The forum members here are all more than likely customers and former customers.  There is more than likely no one high enough up within Telus to acknowledge and potentially address your concerns.  You honestly might have better luck contacting the cruise company because they ultimately bill Telus for your usage and then Telus inflates that cost as their convenience and service fees and passes it on to you.  

Ignorance or a lack of knowledge, however you want to put it, isn't an excuse!  Roaming can be expensive, as your bill proves.  The account holder is responsible for the bill being paid.  If you choose not to pay it, it will eventually end up in collections.  Ultimately, the choice is yours.  Reasonable expectation is that you do your research before using your device while roaming, which doesn't seem to be the case here.  If you had any questions or concerns about your services while roaming, then you should have contacted Telus before your fiancee took her vacation and used the service while roaming.    

TelusOnFence
Helpful Neighbour

When an average traveller receives a text message from Telus and says " welcome to Mexico " and welcoming to roaming the message clearly does not indicate whether it's roaming on land or roaming at sea and therefore the message in itself is ambiguous in nature and misinforming. A high volume of people who receive welcome to roaming have no idea that roaming on land and sea are different costs. Telus as a Company should have informed thier customer when sending the welcome message that different rates apply for land and for sea. But Telus would never want you to know that because guess why..they're making huge money with those who travel on sea and have been tricked to think they are simply roaming.

The courts will decide who's right or wrong and surely will post the results for all to see.

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

This discussion has turned into a waste of time.  You fail to take the prudent advice offered.

It is your right to pursue this in court if you want - but be wary of the consequences.

Years ago, I was faced with a $2000 roaming bill from a company other than Telus.  However, the issue was solved in an amicable fashion and this seems to not be the option you want to take.

Blaming others for your mistakes is not the path to a good resolution.  

TelusOnFence
Helpful Neighbour
You know what!?

We have spent countless hours on the phone with these guys. On several occasions albeit different ones, they offered to have a manager call us back and resolve this issue.

Guess what? Nobody called!

My finance works in law and will have no problem winning this case.

We have tried more than once to find a happy medium with Telus to no avail.

The countless hours and time we have spent on the phone and in the store will all be part of our legal action against Telus along with a hefty per hour charge for administrating this case.

If Telus wanted to make good, they have my address and have every opportunity to make things right.
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

Well, that is not the result I got with my issue.  It took one call and was solved within a few minutes, believe it or not.

I explained the issue to the guy, he said to give him a few minutes, he would see what he could do and then came back with an offer which I felt was fair and accepted.

I don't work in law but I don't really see how you have a case. However,  I'm not the judge.   I'm sure everyone will be interested in the outcome.  Good luck.

rc
Ambassador

Good luck on your legal case, which I presume you intend to file in small claims court. 

How do you intend to handle the question, that will surely be asked, did you read the details about  the easy roaming package when you enabled it? 

rc
Ambassador

Since your "fiance works in law" she should understand why TELUS requires customers to opt in to the Easy Roaming service.

Customers when they add the service to their account via  the telus app are provided the details of the service. 

So your argument about a misleading welcome message to the service is irrelevant.  All the message is as stated, a welcome  message to a service that the customer has agreed to and was provided the details about the service.