cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching phones, both with device balances

Jkread
Just Moved In
My mom has a Samsung note 3 and wants an iPhone. I have an iPhone and want a Samsung. Is it possible we can trade phones even tho there are device balances on each? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

As long as you continue paying your monthly bills there should be no issues with regards to the device balances regardless of what you do.

The note 3 uses a micro SIM card. The iPhone 4 and 4S uses the same size. If you have a 4/4S then you can just swap SIM cards without involving TELUS.

Older iPhones (3 and older) use mini SIM (larger than micro). Newer iPhones (5 and newer) use nano SIM (smaller than micro) If your iPhone is older or newer than the 4/4S then you both need to buy new SIM cards and activate them with TELUS. The easiest way to do this is visit a TELUS store and they'll take care of you.

[edit] It just occurred to me that TELUS might be able to just swap the activations on their end without you doing anything with the SIM cards. Call TELUS and ask. You will both need to be on the call in order to authorise changes to both accounts.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Normally Telus typically want the device balance paid of off before you can another device from Telus.

If you were to swap devices with your mom, I wonder if they allow it... The best thing to do would be call in and talk to Retention. They may be able to do it but no guarantees.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

ET
Rockstar

Hi, you can for sure exchange device between the 2 of you. If the SIM cards aren't the same then you might need to get new ones. They do sell them at the TELUS store for $10.

xray
Hero

As long as you continue paying your monthly bills there should be no issues with regards to the device balances regardless of what you do.

The note 3 uses a micro SIM card. The iPhone 4 and 4S uses the same size. If you have a 4/4S then you can just swap SIM cards without involving TELUS.

Older iPhones (3 and older) use mini SIM (larger than micro). Newer iPhones (5 and newer) use nano SIM (smaller than micro) If your iPhone is older or newer than the 4/4S then you both need to buy new SIM cards and activate them with TELUS. The easiest way to do this is visit a TELUS store and they'll take care of you.

[edit] It just occurred to me that TELUS might be able to just swap the activations on their end without you doing anything with the SIM cards. Call TELUS and ask. You will both need to be on the call in order to authorise changes to both accounts.