So I just found out that telus can unlock my phone so that I can add a US sim card for 5 months.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

honeydoc
Neighbour

How does that work in terms of what is expected of me?

Highlighted
rgl168
Connector

You are on postpaid, owned the phone for at least 90 days, and account in good standing - at least that's the current condition.

When CRTC wireless code takes effect in December, there will be different rules.

@honeydoc wrote:

How does that work in terms of what is expected of me?

WongTong
Ambassador

Your telus phone can be unlocked by Telus if you are a current active client on a monthly plan. Your phone must've been active on Telus' network for at least 90 days. The cost is 35$ on your next bill

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Things to also research....

• how many minutes and data do you plan to use during your US visit?  If only for emergencies or one short call a month, roaming charges may be workable.  US passes are great for moderate usage.  Yes SIM card swaps are better for high usage customers.
  • US sim card swaps means friends cannot reach you by your Telus number.
  • how do you plan to acquire you US card?  Not all airports and hotels can sell you a SIM card.  Look for retailers who are willing to install and test the SIM card prior to you leaving the store.  I hate those stores that sends you back to your hotel and you have to figure out how to configure the card yourself.
  • research coverage.... like Canada, different US carriers will have different coverage in different states?  Discount providers have poor coverage and often offer no coverage indoors behind concreate structures.
  • consider Vancouver's Roam Mobility service in your carrier research.  Prepaid US carriers do NOT allow you call to Canada without a phone card, Roam Mobility does.
    http://www.roammobility.com/talk-text-data
  • some SIM cards require APN setting changes to work!