cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a bill for being a Telus Mobility customer for less than a week

wirelessfan2020
Just Moved In

Hi all,

I was under the impression customers had 14 days to decide whether Telus Mobility services met their needs before being billed. But I was subscribed for less than two weeks and ported out when I got a better offer from my previous provider.

Now I've received a huge bill and I phoned customer service but was told there's no such policy. What are your thoughts?  The sales person definitely communicated this policy and gave no restrictions other than 14 days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So according to the CRTC link posted by @giantbrownguy  it should be free as long as you returned your phone and didn't use more than half of the monthly data allowed for the plan. Did you meet that criteria?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

xray
Hero

I think the 14 days may be the period where you would not be bound to the contract but I don't think it means service is free.

You should be billed for the period that you had service. I would assume it's pro-rated to whatever your monthly bill would be. 

What exactly do you mean by a "huge bill"?

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

The CRTC Wireless Code has it: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/period.htm

So according to the CRTC link posted by @giantbrownguy  it should be free as long as you returned your phone and didn't use more than half of the monthly data allowed for the plan. Did you meet that criteria?

@giantbrownguy Thank you--that's what I thought. As it happens, I'm also a person with a disability (notes on my line) so I should even be eligible for the extended trial period. Where and how do I communicate this to Telus when they are saying no such policy exists?

I'd say CRTC requires it. If the call centre gives you grief, escalate and keep escalating. I think there's contact info on the CRTC's website if you're getting the runaround and if it continues go to the news. CBC's Go Public and others have a way of getting companies to react.

Make sure you document timelines of communication, who you talked to and by what method. You want to have a record to show that you did all this within the timelines required by the Code.

Also remember that the first line call centre is often overseas so they may not be equipped to help you with this. Just escalate to a more senior person. If they aren't helpful at all, try and get to a Telus store.