Procedure for switching service providers

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

lazybrowndog
Neighbour

My contract ends at the end of this month. I will need a new phone and I am interested in going to a different provider (I have one in mind, but I haven't settled on anything yet). It is my understanding that I need to give 30 days notice to cancel my mobility service with Telus. I want to be able to port my number over, I don't want to be paying for two mobility accounts, and I don't want to be without any service at the end of my 30 days. Do I call about ending my service now, then plan on getting a new phone and everything sorted out at the end of the month? What is the most efficient way to go about switching? 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you will need to provide 30 days notice to cancel. You'll want to make sure the new provider gets your service started and number transferred before that 30 days is up or you lose your number. Whether or not they can get the number transferred quickly is the big question. Ask your new provider how long it usually takes them to transfer in a number from another carrier first to get an idea. When I switched from Rogers I had about a 2 week overlap in the plans (mostly because Rogers was a horrendous nightmare to deal with, especially when cancelling) and I didn't want to lose my number.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
hellochuman
Advisor
I was told that if I wanted to port out and since I was not on contract anymore I should do it a couple of days prior to my cutoff date (which is the day your account is billed). Since mine is the 5th I should port out on the 3rd is what the girl suggested. I would call in to find out maybe they will offer you something if you were to renew.

Definitley give TELUS a shout before you consider jumping ship! They may get you upgraded to a Yacht Smiley Happy Giving 30 days allows you to sort out the potential billing overlap as well. 

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I think... once you have identified a phone and carrier.  The carrier has the ability to complete the paper work to switch your number over.  It may not be immediate, but it will the simplest.

If you let your contract expire... I think the number is held for a few months before it's released to someone else.

Personally if you have a good number.... keep it!  I find a lot of the avaialble number out there are abandoned because of SPAM.

Finally if you do want to leave Telus.... seriously look at the number of complaints.  Biggest problems with other carriers is coverage and misbilling.

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Devices/Lower-Complaints/m-p/48579 

MadJumper
Resident

Canadians no longer have to give a 30-day notice to cancel or change their television, internet or landline telephone service, the CRTC says.

In a release, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission said it is "prohibiting television service providers from requiring that Canadians give 30 days' notice prior to cancelling these services."