Prepaid yearly mobile account

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
polecat
Ambassador

My yearly account has a large amount of money sitting in it. Phone only used when we travel (last year it was very little)..Top up early part of 2018 and if I don't you lose the money.... Can I use that money and buy another phone or apply it to my house account. Doing a monthly top up is more expensive than the $100 a year package.  Polecat

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually once the balance exceeds $300, Telus takes steps to reduce it. There are also often offers to convert the value you have in the prepaid account and put it towards a postpaid account.  I have not heard of it being converted to purchase a device, though.

For an emergency phone, which you could use any time, and retains the same number on an ongoing basis, so folks know where to reach you, the $8.33 per month is pretty cheap.  You could, instead, get a SIM and number each time you travel, with some inconvenience.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
polecat
Ambassador

Yes the phone is for just in case something happens. You pay for the security of getting help or helping someone in need. I have to accept it is for security only.. thanks Polecat.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@polecat

SWMBO's phone is on an ancient $10 per month data plan with pay per use minutes, and although she uses it year 'round, is never over her 100 MB of use, nor does she consume a lot of minutes, so we are in a similar position.

NFtoBC
polecat
Ambassador

For us piece of mind in case of trouble. Had text email shut off. Did report an accident once ,also a mud slide that came down behind me. lucky .......

rc
Ambassador

Not sure if this is still current, but you could  use your balance to purchase a phone.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/unused-minutes-to-purchase-phone/m-p/13365/highlight/tr...

polecat
Ambassador

Thanks  RC   I will check this out and get back to the blog. My top up is in march 18 so this  hopefully will give us a better phone. At the moment  a flip phone.

Community Power User
Community Power User

You can also check in ‘My Account’ to see if you have any exclusive offers.

NFtoBC