Porting Failed. 2 days now without a working phone.

Colin11
Neighbour

I ported from Fido yesterday and believe the porting failed based on some internet reading. I can place calls, but cannot receive them. I also can't seem to activate iMessage/FaceTime on my phone. Been on hold countless times only to be hung up on after the 2hr mark.

I even hunted down the porting departments number and can't get through there either.

I've tried online chat only for it to be disconnected for whatever reason.

I've tweeted and DM'd a bunch of times only to be ignored even though I see them replying to other people.

I don't have a working phone. I understand it's a busy time, but surely this is something that should have been identified and fixed without my involvement.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Is your Fido SIM still active?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Colin11
Neighbour

I'm afraid I do not know. The Telus rep at the store that activated my account threw away my Fido SIM. I'd have to call them.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunate, indeed, as it is one of the first troubleshooting tips the members of the Neighbourhood can offer.  Trying to call in just now would likely result in a long wait, due to the current special offer.

NFtoBC
Colin11
Neighbour

It's impossible to get through to any line of theirs. After 2 hours, I get hung up on. None of the corporate stores answer their phones either. Can't online chat and they don't reply via Twitter. I'm just giving up until this mayhem is over.

It's just a shame that due to activations, people with technical issues can't get help. Cleary something wrong with Telus' support model.

An here I thought I was moving over to a better carrier.

gcerullo
Connector

My sister's iPhone took longer than anticipated to become active on the Telus network as well.

First, did you get the text message from Telus informing you that the port was completed?

Also, make sure the new carrier settings have been downloaded to your iPhone. If you have a computer handy with iTunes installed try plugging the phone in using the USB-to-Lightning cable and syncing the phone. You may get a message about carrier settings that need to be updated.

Maybe that will solve your problem.

TommyS
Friendly Neighbour
Same problem with porting from Fido 2 weeks ago for me.
Didn't work and it took me hours and hours to get thru to Telus, and several times trying for the tech dept to get it done.
They spend so much time trying to capture new customers that they can't seem to handle the ones they've got (and will lose, when a viable option comes along...)
To add insult to injury, my first bill arrived yesterday and guess what? It is full of charges that are absolutely not right. Like $14 in overtime minutes- on a 350 minute plan, in just 3 days of usage - when the new iPhone tells me I've used 6 minutes!

And that's just the beginning...
Wonder how long it will take to get thru to Telus to get it corrected?
Irony: these are the reasons I left Fido for Telus, and it's not looking good for a 2-year relationship!
Community Power User
Community Power User

@TommyS wrote:
 Like $14 in overtime minutes- on a 350 minute plan, in just 3 days of usage - when the new iPhone tells me I've used 6 minutes!

Just a note that minutes are pro-rated, so if the period from your start date to your first full month is (say) 3 days, you would only have 35 minutes before you start to consume overage minutes. Also, minutes are rounded up, so a call of a few seconds may register on your phone as only those few seconds, but on your bill as a full minute. You can confirm the calls registered against your account on the PDF invoice, available in 'My Account' to see if they match the calls you made and received, as there appears a considerable difference between what you see in your phone's record, vs what you see on your bill.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
TommyS
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for your explanation.
However, calls made and rec'd AFTER the calls that were billed as 'Overtime billing', were not billed - i.e. some calls on Dec. 26 & 27 were billed, but calls on subsequent days up tp Jan. 1st (end of billing cycle) WERE charged for airtime.
Further confusing the issue, most of the calls were to & from Telus (1-866...) concerning problems in porting my no. over from Fido. My no. had been simultaneously assigned to a customer who happened to be activating an Apple Watch at the very instant my number was in cyber-transit. So it took many hours and days of calls to get that resolved, and then I get billed for the airtime during the process!
Or, $14.40 worth of it anyway. To say nothing of the amount of my time spent explaining it to various people at Telus, and the other customer, and all the back and forth entailed.
Big hassle, then an incongruous bill for my trouble.
And another series of calls and wait times to look fwd. to...to reverse those and some other duplicate charges that I'm sure are erroneous.

Sent from my iPhone
Community Power User
Community Power User

Toll-free numbers are still billed airtime. The toll only applies to the long distance charges, which more often makes a difference for landlines, or those folks who purchase a cellular plan with only local calling minutes. Calling *611 does not consume minutes, but the 1-866 number would.

Given the circumstances you have explained, Telus may consider a request to reverse the calls made to assess account problems.

NFtoBC
TommyS
Friendly Neighbour
Correction:
Calls on Dec. 28 (first day of new account) were billed, even though they were ALL concerning the problems with porting the number from Fido. My no. had been assigned to someone else's new Apple Watch by mistake, and it took 3 hrs. at the Telus kiosk to get it back. ( Even then, it still remained on BOTH devices for several days). And countless calls with various Telus reps ( and the other customer) to get it off - finally she had to go back to the Apple store and get a new watch - which still linked to my number, showing that it was a Telus problem, not Apple, as claimed by some of the Telus techs. The point is this:
Telus billed me for all those calls!

But calls on Dec. 29 - Jan. 1 (end of first billing cycle), were NOT charged. Go figure!
In addition, I was charged for the set-up and cancellation of several other numbers and accounts that were created during this disaster. Never mind an offer from Telus of some compensation or gratuity for my "pain and suffering " during this ordeal (which was finally resolved - I hope - around Jan. 3rd or 4th.

But you say Telus "may consider a request" to remove some of the charges? What, if I can get thru to a live CSR and explain all the details of the transaction that went into Telus's billing process? Like there's no record of it there? Then they MAY consider it?
Gee, that'd be swell!

Other than all that, I generally like Telus, and their attempts at placating irate customers. Not so sure about the Mobility side yet, tho'...

Community Power User
Community Power User

Since I, and the other participants here, are not Telus employees, and do not speak for Telus, MAY is the proper term to use.

NFtoBC