Not valued as a customer.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

mpa
Coach

With my contract about to expire, i was looking at what offers are available to remain a loyal customer (as i've been for 15years).  But seems i am no longer considered a valued customer and my loyalty means nothing anymore, unless I commit to a minimum $70/month.   Looks like time to shop the competition......

Ginnungagap
Ambassador

Greetings mpa!

That's definitely unfortunate to hear. I highly advise contacting us via Twitter or by phone at 1-866-558-2273 regarding this matter.

dobes
Coach

In my experience, Telus customer service is awful. Their product is quite good, and prices are fair, but we are treated with absolutely no respect. Our requests are met with a constant 'no' and our problems with the company are always our own fault. I feel as though every Telus rep I speak to is convinced I am trying desperately to steal services from the company, even though I have been a customer for more than 15 months and have paid my bill ahead of time every single month. BUT, if you decide you've had enough and are ready to leave, then there is always a phone number you can call, and someone in their loyalty department truly might listen and help you work out something you can live with. 

The problem is, I don't like to do business like that. I don't think you should have to reach the end of your rope -- and STILL be the one who has to reach out one final time -- before finding a solution. I am at the point where I am willing to pay a little more in return for decent customer service. Maybe it's time for you to switch, too. 

mpa
Coach

If i decide not to upgrade my phone and stay with my iphone4.  can i get one of the "Lite" plans available?  website is confusing!   are iPhones only able to use the share plans, or is that only if buying a new phone?

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

What are your needs? I am running my iPhone 3Gs on Pay and talk for about $12- $15/month. Small amount of data (mostly WiFi) and few voice minutes. It's mostly a convenience phone for my wife, who usually uses the LandLine for most calling.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
mpa
Coach

hmm, im looking at maybe prepaid option,,, $30......    i dont use alot of minutes under 100/month,  need call display(which looks to be included with most plans now),  unlimited text messaging,  data usually 100-150MB /month, on wifi otherwise........

Highlighted
tsizzle
Ambassador

You can take a Lite or any other plan if you pay off your device balance (amount owing for your iPhone 4), otherwise you'll be held to the terms of your original contract.

Most Helpful
vz85
Neighbour

I have had the same experience, I have been a customer for over 5 years and my contract expires in 2months.  I am not able to renew my current plan and only have the option to go on a $70+ plan ($20 more than my current plan) if I want any of the phones I am interested in.  Other carriers will offer the phones I want on a $55 plan, and Telus Loyality won't offer anything close.  They offered to beef up the $70 plans, but I don't need that much.   Definitely take a look around before renewing.

Most Helpful
tsizzle
Ambassador

What phone are you looking for exactly? Bell, Rogers, Telus, Videotron, Koodo, Fido, Virgin etc. all make you pay $70+ a month if you want an iPhone, SG4 etc.

Also the reason prices went up is the move from 3 year contracts to 2, directly comparing what you were paying before to now isn't really fair.

Most Helpful
vz85
Neighbour

For sure I understand the reason for the price increase with the change to 2 year contracts.  I love telus and have been really happy with them, I just wish they had some more flexibility with their plans.  I just have a hard time paying over $70 when a $55 plan will more than meet my needs.

I am looking at the Z10 or the Galaxy S3....Virgin for example will offer a $55 plan with the Z10 for $50 or the S3 for $0...the problem I have with Telus right now is they won't let me have these phones at all on a lite plan, even if I pay some money upfront for the phone.  

Most Helpful
mpa
Coach

so basically, Telus' so called loyalty program offeres me the same thing i can get anywhere else.........   doesnt sound like much of a loyalty program....

Most Helpful
mpa
Coach

so , not surprisingly,  the least helpful response was the copy and paste from the moderator. Way to go Telus, some great customer service as usual.

Most Helpful
credmau5
Resident
Just buy your phones and stop linking it with your plans. The price of plans is to recover the cost of the phones, I think people need to start saving up and getting their own more often. Just like buying a TV or a computer and then getting the best cable or internet plan possible instead of financing the device through your plan.
Most Helpful
hellochuman
Advisor

Totally agree with the above post.  When you take the phone discount phone companies need a way of recouping the discount.  I let my contract run out and if I do need a new phone (which I don't) I'm going to start buying my phones outright because I have a decent plan.  Their $70 plans are ridiculous.

Most Helpful
vz85
Neighbour

I see your point for sure, but if a $55 a month plan is what works best for me why would I buy a $650 phone outright and then pay $55 a month instead of taking the discounted phone for $50 and then paying $55 a month?  Are there different cheaper plans if I buy a phone outright?

Most Helpful
hellochuman
Advisor

Your idea does make sense because you are already paying $55 a month.  But if you do take that $50 discounted phone (I'm assuming Samsung Galaxy III at $49) you won't be able to keep your $55 plan.  They will make you spend minimum $70 per month (and you only get 250 mb of data, you could probably negotiate more data).  It also depends on what your getting for that $55 plan.  I'm assuming a pretty decent phone plan but what is your data package at?  I know some of my friends that pay $55 (old plan) get anywhere from 1 to 6 gb of data.  Now you take TELUS share plan (let just say 1 gb at $30) on top of your $55 per month phone plan. Your now paying $85 per month (X 24 months = $2040) + phone price ($49) = 2050.  Now you take your $55 plan (X 24 months = $1320) + phone price ($650) = $1970.  Ok so your only saving $80.  So you do make a point.

The question is, what would you be giving up that $55 plan for the new $85 plan.

Lets say you are getting a great deal at $55 (6 gb of data).  Telus is an ass and says if you want to keep your 6 gb of data (according to their shareplan it is $65 per month) you have to go on their shared plans.  You would be paying $55 (smartphone plan) + $65 (6 gb of data).  Your monthly bill is now $120 per month X 24 + $49 phone = $2929.  Now you take your $55 plan X 24 months (just to compare with the other senerio) + $650 = $1970.

So what I'm trying to say is if you want one of those new phones (iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy s4 and the other high end phones) your going to have to give up that $55 plan (which is probably awesome) for their new shared plans (which is not great for, what I'm assuming, most people).  Which is why I would consider buying the phone outright if I have a great plan.

For myself, and it really only works for me.  I pay $43 a month (300 nationwide daytime minutes, E&W starting at 5 pm, 400 mb of data, text, ID voicemail).  I also never go over my amounts.  Now if I were to go to the minimum $70 (sure I get unlimited daytime minutes) I would actually lose 150 mb of data.  So I would be wasting an extra $27 a month.  Now times that by 24 months and that = $648.  That number exceeds the starting device balance on a iPhone 5s 16 gb ($490) and  Samsung Galaxy S4 ($521).  I'm only using those phones as an example since they are the newest versions.

The Starting device balance is the key to this.  Telus has to make this up and hoping that a customer will spend on extras to make that up and also make $$$.

Most Helpful
dobes
Coach

The problem is that you can't have a $55/month plan if you buy the phone from the provider because nearly all of them insist that you start with a minimum $70 plan in order to be able to buy the phone.  I badly needed a new phone this year, and I use iPhones because they sync wirelessly with my mac computer. Nearly every provider wanted me to sign to a 2-year contract, and pay $129 up front for the phone, then a minimum of $70 a month before tax.

Now, I have a plan I like for $30 a month before tax, and I thought that after I bought a new phone I would add a small amount of data for another $10 a month, bringing my monthly charge to $40/month plus the cost of buying the new phone outright.  If I bought the phone from Telus or another provider on a 2-year plan, I would be paying $129 plus the extra $30/month for the plan x 24 months, or a total of $849 for my phone. That was not acceptable to me, so I went to Apple and bought it outright, unlocked, and usable on any network I choose for $600, saving $249. 

Then, once I registered it with Telus (I had to - I had to get a SIM that would fit the new phone) I saw that my data add-on selections had suddenly disappeared and only one for $35 was being offered -- again bringing my bill to $70 if I add data to my current plan. But that's another story.....

hellochuman
Advisor

Did you call Telus and tell them you bought the phone outright and see if they can add a data flex plan (I saw it starts at $15 per month for 400 mb) separately instead of you adding it through your phone?  So if I am reading your message properly, I assume that you are currently using a unlocked full price iPhone (which one I would like to know), paying $30 a month (for a voice plan only) and no data (but probably using wifi).  You have the option of getting a data plan (but your saying your only given an option of $35).  This might change my opinion on this whole thing cause it sounds like Telus pulled the rug from under you.  Make it sounds like your doing them a favor by buyin the phone outright, making them not having to subsidize it and then screwing you over by saying oh you want a data plan now you have to get this one.  Looks like I'm going to have to take care of my phone and hope it last me a long time.

dobes
Coach

I know - I thought that was the strangest thing! I did my math carefully, comparing providers and phone costs and the costs of 2-year contracts. When I still had my old phone, and looked on Telus's page at add-ons available to me, there were small data plans for $15 a month - I think something like 250 MB. I have wifi at work and home, so that's all I need - if I even need that. And so, yes, I went ahead and bought the new phone outright, then looked again at adding data to my phone and - only a plan for $35 came up as available to me!

I refuse out of principle to call Telus, as the person on the other end routinely says "no" and/or "it's your fault" to whatever we are discussing, and not in a pleasant way. Then I have to ask for someone in Loyalty and work things out with them. I think that's ridiculous, and just won't do it anymore.  But I will say that, after I had had the phone for a couple of weeks without adding data to my plan, Telus called ME, offering 100 MB/month free for 3 months, and then $10/month to keep it. I probably will do that - but it is not an add-on I can see online. And, it was pretty lucky for both me and Telus that they did that, because I was seriously considering switching to my partner's Rogers plan (he left Telus after one of our ridiculous phone calls with them).  Adding me to the Rogers plan would have cost more, but it also would have given us much more in terms of both voice and data services. Still, for now, because of the low-cost data offer, I'm staying with Telus. 

Oh! You asked about the phone. I ended up with the 16-gig blue 5C. I originally wanted the silver 5S, but the Eaton Centre Apple store only had the grey one when I was there, and I didn't want that. I'm very happy with the 5C anyway, and saved another $120 into the bargain by choosing it. I'm not so security-conscious that I need a fingerprint sensor, and I would say I'm more a colorful, informal person than an elegant one, so it suits! Smiley Happy

Most Helpful
hellochuman
Advisor

Interesting to hear your problem.  I got the loyalty line from one of the Telus stores years ago.  The stores told me that the stores itself can't do anything and they are just selling the phone on Telus' behalf.  So whenever I am close to my contract ending, I call them first to see what is my options.  If I do like what they are offering, then I agree to their terms.  They put the plan on my account and then go to the store to get a phone the plan we agreed to is on my file.  Of course you kind of have more leverage when your contract is done.  I'm like you, a data plan is not important to me.  I'll take one but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous amount for it.  

This is the first time in 13 years that I have let my contract run out and still using the same phone (HTC One V, cheap but useful).  The iPhone is very interesting and I would like to get it.  Of course then Telus has you and they know they don't have to offer you much.  Or like you said, they will offer you something you don't really need like 6 gb of data when 1 gb will do.  I was without data for 2 years paying $30 for 200 minutes, UL text, ID, voicemail and evening and weekends at 6.  Telus let me know that I could have that and they would throw in 6 gb of data for $55.  So it would have been paying extra $25 for 6 gb of data that I would not have needed.  I pay $5 for like 100 mb.

So a couple of months ago I called the loyalty line and asked them what offers are out there for me.  I told her I wasn't interested in a new phone but asked if there was a plan that was similar to mine with a data package that was not going to break the bank for me.  So for $13 more a month, my 200 minutes are now 300 nationwide minutes, E/W start at 5 pm and I have 400 mb of data.  Pretty good deal if you ask me.  I asked her how long I can have this plan and she said as long as you don't change it (I don't think its offered anymore) or if I renew a contract.  I said I guess I will have to pay full price for future phones if I want to keep my plan.  She said that is the only way and that she does that herself.

So from what I get from this is to be very nice to the agent and take care of your phone like its a kid.  Also let your contract run out and wait as long as you can if you need a new phone.