Not valued as a customer.

SOLVED
Coach

Not valued as a customer.

With my contract about to expire, i was looking at what offers are available to remain a loyal customer (as i've been for 15years).  But seems i am no longer considered a valued customer and my loyalty means nothing anymore, unless I commit to a minimum $70/month.   Looks like time to shop the competition......

52 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Power User

What are your needs? I am running my iPhone 3Gs on Pay and talk for about $12- $15/month. Small amount of data (mostly WiFi) and few voice minutes. It's mostly a convenience phone for my wife, who usually uses the LandLine for most calling.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Neighbour

I have had the same experience, I have been a customer for over 5 years and my contract expires in 2months.  I am not able to renew my current plan and only have the option to go on a $70+ plan ($20 more than my current plan) if I want any of the phones I am interested in.  Other carriers will offer the phones I want on a $55 plan, and Telus Loyality won't offer anything close.  They offered to beef up the $70 plans, but I don't need that much.   Definitely take a look around before renewing.

What phone are you looking for exactly? Bell, Rogers, Telus, Videotron, Koodo, Fido, Virgin etc. all make you pay $70+ a month if you want an iPhone, SG4 etc.

Also the reason prices went up is the move from 3 year contracts to 2, directly comparing what you were paying before to now isn't really fair.

0 Likes

For sure I understand the reason for the price increase with the change to 2 year contracts.  I love telus and have been really happy with them, I just wish they had some more flexibility with their plans.  I just have a hard time paying over $70 when a $55 plan will more than meet my needs.

I am looking at the Z10 or the Galaxy S3....Virgin for example will offer a $55 plan with the Z10 for $50 or the S3 for $0...the problem I have with Telus right now is they won't let me have these phones at all on a lite plan, even if I pay some money upfront for the phone.  

0 Likes

so basically, Telus' so called loyalty program offeres me the same thing i can get anywhere else.........   doesnt sound like much of a loyalty program....

so , not surprisingly,  the least helpful response was the copy and paste from the moderator. Way to go Telus, some great customer service as usual.

0 Likes
Resident

Just buy your phones and stop linking it with your plans. The price of plans is to recover the cost of the phones, I think people need to start saving up and getting their own more often. Just like buying a TV or a computer and then getting the best cable or internet plan possible instead of financing the device through your plan.

Totally agree with the above post.  When you take the phone discount phone companies need a way of recouping the discount.  I let my contract run out and if I do need a new phone (which I don't) I'm going to start buying my phones outright because I have a decent plan.  Their $70 plans are ridiculous.

0 Likes

I see your point for sure, but if a $55 a month plan is what works best for me why would I buy a $650 phone outright and then pay $55 a month instead of taking the discounted phone for $50 and then paying $55 a month?  Are there different cheaper plans if I buy a phone outright?

0 Likes

Your idea does make sense because you are already paying $55 a month.  But if you do take that $50 discounted phone (I'm assuming Samsung Galaxy III at $49) you won't be able to keep your $55 plan.  They will make you spend minimum $70 per month (and you only get 250 mb of data, you could probably negotiate more data).  It also depends on what your getting for that $55 plan.  I'm assuming a pretty decent phone plan but what is your data package at?  I know some of my friends that pay $55 (old plan) get anywhere from 1 to 6 gb of data.  Now you take TELUS share plan (let just say 1 gb at $30) on top of your $55 per month phone plan. Your now paying $85 per month (X 24 months = $2040) + phone price ($49) = 2050.  Now you take your $55 plan (X 24 months = $1320) + phone price ($650) = $1970.  Ok so your only saving $80.  So you do make a point.

The question is, what would you be giving up that $55 plan for the new $85 plan.

Lets say you are getting a great deal at $55 (6 gb of data).  Telus is an ass and says if you want to keep your 6 gb of data (according to their shareplan it is $65 per month) you have to go on their shared plans.  You would be paying $55 (smartphone plan) + $65 (6 gb of data).  Your monthly bill is now $120 per month X 24 + $49 phone = $2929.  Now you take your $55 plan X 24 months (just to compare with the other senerio) + $650 = $1970.

So what I'm trying to say is if you want one of those new phones (iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy s4 and the other high end phones) your going to have to give up that $55 plan (which is probably awesome) for their new shared plans (which is not great for, what I'm assuming, most people).  Which is why I would consider buying the phone outright if I have a great plan.

For myself, and it really only works for me.  I pay $43 a month (300 nationwide daytime minutes, E&W starting at 5 pm, 400 mb of data, text, ID voicemail).  I also never go over my amounts.  Now if I were to go to the minimum $70 (sure I get unlimited daytime minutes) I would actually lose 150 mb of data.  So I would be wasting an extra $27 a month.  Now times that by 24 months and that = $648.  That number exceeds the starting device balance on a iPhone 5s 16 gb ($490) and  Samsung Galaxy S4 ($521).  I'm only using those phones as an example since they are the newest versions.

The Starting device balance is the key to this.  Telus has to make this up and hoping that a customer will spend on extras to make that up and also make $$$.

0 Likes

The problem is that you can't have a $55/month plan if you buy the phone from the provider because nearly all of them insist that you start with a minimum $70 plan in order to be able to buy the phone.  I badly needed a new phone this year, and I use iPhones because they sync wirelessly with my mac computer. Nearly every provider wanted me to sign to a 2-year contract, and pay $129 up front for the phone, then a minimum of $70 a month before tax.

Now, I have a plan I like for $30 a month before tax, and I thought that after I bought a new phone I would add a small amount of data for another $10 a month, bringing my monthly charge to $40/month plus the cost of buying the new phone outright.  If I bought the phone from Telus or another provider on a 2-year plan, I would be paying $129 plus the extra $30/month for the plan x 24 months, or a total of $849 for my phone. That was not acceptable to me, so I went to Apple and bought it outright, unlocked, and usable on any network I choose for $600, saving $249. 

Then, once I registered it with Telus (I had to - I had to get a SIM that would fit the new phone) I saw that my data add-on selections had suddenly disappeared and only one for $35 was being offered -- again bringing my bill to $70 if I add data to my current plan. But that's another story.....

0 Likes

Interesting to hear your problem.  I got the loyalty line from one of the Telus stores years ago.  The stores told me that the stores itself can't do anything and they are just selling the phone on Telus' behalf.  So whenever I am close to my contract ending, I call them first to see what is my options.  If I do like what they are offering, then I agree to their terms.  They put the plan on my account and then go to the store to get a phone the plan we agreed to is on my file.  Of course you kind of have more leverage when your contract is done.  I'm like you, a data plan is not important to me.  I'll take one but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous amount for it.  

This is the first time in 13 years that I have let my contract run out and still using the same phone (HTC One V, cheap but useful).  The iPhone is very interesting and I would like to get it.  Of course then Telus has you and they know they don't have to offer you much.  Or like you said, they will offer you something you don't really need like 6 gb of data when 1 gb will do.  I was without data for 2 years paying $30 for 200 minutes, UL text, ID, voicemail and evening and weekends at 6.  Telus let me know that I could have that and they would throw in 6 gb of data for $55.  So it would have been paying extra $25 for 6 gb of data that I would not have needed.  I pay $5 for like 100 mb.

So a couple of months ago I called the loyalty line and asked them what offers are out there for me.  I told her I wasn't interested in a new phone but asked if there was a plan that was similar to mine with a data package that was not going to break the bank for me.  So for $13 more a month, my 200 minutes are now 300 nationwide minutes, E/W start at 5 pm and I have 400 mb of data.  Pretty good deal if you ask me.  I asked her how long I can have this plan and she said as long as you don't change it (I don't think its offered anymore) or if I renew a contract.  I said I guess I will have to pay full price for future phones if I want to keep my plan.  She said that is the only way and that she does that herself.

So from what I get from this is to be very nice to the agent and take care of your phone like its a kid.  Also let your contract run out and wait as long as you can if you need a new phone.

0 Likes
Resident

I certainly do not feel valued as a costumer anymore with Telus. Your customer service and care has gone down tremendoulsy in the last year. I was promised an extended free Voicemail 10 last year, and this year am told there is no such thing. I am willing to pay 300$ to cancel my contract, because I refuse to stay with a company that openly lies to customers. I have been hearing good things about Fido's customer care and was told the notes that their agents leave in the customer files are always exactly as the conversation happened. Every time I call Telus, the notes are completely wrong and inacurate to the discussion that occured, and I am sick of being lied to.

Ambassador

I dunno about fido i thought they sucked?

0 Likes
Connector

I just got a IPhone 5 at thanksgiving because I broke my SIII and still had almost 2 years left on my contract. I had 2 gbs of data on my plan and it was gonna cost me alot more to keep that. I spoke to the loyalty person and she asked me what I needed, I told her unlimited text and at least two gigs of data I hardly ever talk on the phone. Might use 10mins a month.  So she gave me a great deal to get to $70 and I got everything I needed. I was really impressed with the service she totally was willing to work with me, and there was no hassle. I've never had a bad experience with telus, and my phones never drop calls. It seems like everyone I know on other networks always has drop calls.

0 Likes
Ambassador

if you buy out your phone once the device balance goes down a bit then they switch you to the 35 dollar plan plus data

so 65 bucks plus taxes i think its still 70 bucks ...so really a rip off i guess

im shopping right now ...last time i was koodo they sucked

I dunno who is good 😞

0 Likes

I am going thru the same thing right now. My current bill is just over $30.00 per month. Now, next May when I change phones my bill more than doubles. Don't know why I have to get a data plan,when I never use it. If I want data I will sign up for it,not forced into it.

0 Likes

You don't have to buy data unless you're buying a high-end smartphone, and then you really should be anyway. If you buy a Smartphone Lite or flip-phone, you can always take a voice-only plan and add data as needed via add-ons. For example, take the Voice 35 and add $10 in features to meet the $45 min commit, you can get a Nexus 4 with that for $0 upfront on a 2-year.

There's no way you have an iPhone or high-tier Android w/ a $30 plan unless you bought it outright.

0 Likes

I am also wondering about that. Right now, I am paying $20/month (discounted for 1 year from $30) for 200 minutes, evenings and weekends from 6 PM. I pay another $10 for unlimited international texts, and I have a free 3-month trial of 100 MB/month data.  Total is $30 a month plus tax right now. I own my own iPhone 5C. Expensive, but I refuse to buy phones on contract so that I can control how much I pay for cell service and because I travel internationally a lot and want to switch sims. 

As my free data expires in December, I am looking at paying $45 a month to either Koodo or Fido for 500 minutes, unlimited incoming, unlimited international texts, and 500 MB data. I do want more minutes and more data, so I'm not always switching the data on and off as needed and checking my minutes balance online. But I don't know whether Fido or Koodo is best? I am happy with everything about Telus except customer service, but I don't believe they can offer me the same deal. 

0 Likes

TELUS offer identical plans to Koodo/Fido/Virgin in most cases, make sure you're comparing like-to-like though. That is to say, don't compare the monthly rate required to take an iPhone 5 at TELUS vs. a Moto G at Koodo, not really a valid comparison. Check out TELUS' Lite suite, sounds more like what you're talking about - the plan you describe is not offered in the market today.

0 Likes

Yeah, I somewhat sadly switched to Fido yesterday. Koodo actually had the slightly better offer, but Fido is near my house, so....

I think there was a lot to like about Telus, and I hope that in a few months I can say the same about Fido. But nearly all Telus's best offers seem to be geared toward people who want a subsidized phone and 2-year contract, and that is not me. I buy my phone unlocked to have the freedom to pay for usage monthly, and in the process I get much lower rates. At Fido, I now have 400 minutes and 400 MB data, along with unlimited international texts (important to me as my family is in the US) for $35.10 plus tax. At Telus I had only 200 minutes and 100 MB data for $30 plus tax, going up to $40 in January when my free trial of data ended. I was forever checking my usage and turning off my data for fear of going over. 

Well, good luck, guys. I'm out! 

0 Likes
Connector

Yes nowadays it pays to make time to check out all companies before signing your life away on the dotted line. I intend to do exactly that when the time comes. No more gettin screwed

0 Likes
Resident

If you are on an old (cheaper) plan, you can call Loyalty Retention and ask to keep the old plan. You will have to buy your new smartphone outright, but you may be able to negotiate a loyalty credit (I was offered $100; anybody able to get more?) which would be applied against the cost of the new phone.

FYI, I still have so-called $20 plan (150 anytime per-sec minutes + 100 minutes, 250 text messages, package 12 which includes voice mail, call display etc.). However, I still have to pay the dreaded system access fee of $7. Over 20 years with telus...

0 Likes
Resident

I've been around since it was Clearnet, I have the same quandry with such a huge monthy bill, seems to be foolish to thow money away... with a better loacal service, and unlimited everything for a fraction of the cost of my current bill... I've contacted Telus they said the best they can do is $55/month... that's not even close to being competative...

My Telus bill is $80/month for a much better local plan which Telus calls a discount provider I can get for $30/month unlimited everything... no more contracts for me... I'm buying my next phone... 

I bought my wife a new phone now she's happy paying $30/month after the switch, Telus CAN NOT MATCH $30/month... they suggested perhaps checking back during the time when my contract expires... I really doubt it...

February is just around the corner... I'm also switching... 

0 Likes
Connector

I also am a longtime telus customer with 2 phones and can't wait for my contract to end bye bye telus I'm gone to your competition matter of fact I'm so disgusted I'm tempted to pay the penalty charges to cancel my contracts

0 Likes

You should call Telus and see what they have to offer for a renewal. If you see something more interesting with a competitor, simply mention it to the agent and they'll do their best to match it

0 Likes

Just got off the phone with Telus.  My contract expires Monday, so i am trying to change to prepaid.   I was told they cant do it because i have 3 days left..... LOL  What a joke of a company.  Dont you guys have computers?  Even trying to stay a customer is a challenge.  So i will spend the weekend shopping your competitors.  LOL good customer retention Telus.  Laughable.....

0 Likes
Connector

That's more than laughable that's downright pathetic. I can remember being able to change plans 2-3 months before my contract ended. Telus sounds either desparate or there trying to give there customers to there competition

0 Likes

So now i'm cruising online on the competitors websites 🙂   Anyone with any suggestions?  Can't think it would be possible to do any worse than Telus....

0 Likes
Connector

There all bad. Ho with whoever has the best product and service for the best value. Someone who doesn't smile and take your money then push you over a cliff

0 Likes

I posted about my experience in another thread. Long story short, Telus offered me no "loyalty" at all to induce me to stay.

After having an iPhone with Telus for a few years along with all my family members. I cancelled my phone with them this morning.

I was asked to pay more for the same service in order to upgrade my daughters phone. As a result I cancelled my number and gave her my phone to use on her old contract.

Telus is now out at least $55 a month for the forseeable future and I can happily live without the extra money going out of pocket for the same service. Now I understand why the government is running those commercials about cell phone companies in Canada.

0 Likes

Yep. If  TELUS cannot offer me a contract close to my current 35.00 monthly when I update next May, I too will cancel my mobility account. There is no way I will pay more than double to upgrade to an iPhone 4s

0 Likes
Connector

That's true my sentiments exactly . I have had nothing but negative feelings for Telus and I will be switching companies also after being a loyal customer for 20 yrs. No customer loyalty makes me not loyal to Telus either. I am hunting around looking for better

0 Likes

Hi Barry,

You can always maintain your current plan or choose a lite plan if you purchase your phone outright. Cheers.

0 Likes
Connector

So pay them 800 plus dollars and it will be ok. Geesh real sad diplomatic answer. Politician

0 Likes

Really sad,considering I have TELUS INTERNET/OPTIK TV/TELUS HOME PHONE

0 Likes
Connector

Works great Barry if you liked pinned down to a contract. That's what is sad

0 Likes

I'd like to add to this... I've been a Telus mobility customer for almost 20-years and after 3-calls to the loyalty department I'm finally throwing in the Telus towel. I gave them one last chance to sharpen their pencil and meet a quote that I got from Rogers for my 4-phones. The best they could offer was what they originally offered me on the first call. Basically a family package that anyone can get ($260/mo. sharing 6gig of data) or a loyalty package that would provide 1-new iPhone 5C and 1gig for each phone for a total of $240/mo. Of course the new iPhone came with a 2-year contract requirement and a $75/mo. data plan requirement. When I stated that I could get more, than what they're offering, for between $40-$60 less per month there was ZERO counter offer. The ultimate question is: Why do they even have a loyalty department when they refuse to compete? My hours of pursuing some value for my decades of loyalty were a total waste of time.

0 Likes

So let's do some math here:

$260 total bill / 4 phones = $65/phone for unlimited nationwide calling & texting + 1.5GB of data each

@ Koodo/Fido/Virgin:

2 iPhones w/ 1GB = $85 x 2 = $170

2 non-iPhones w/ 1GB = $55 x 2 = $110

Total = $280/month

To get the same features:

2 iPhones w/ 1GB = $85 x 2 = $170

2 non-iPhones w/ 2GB = $65 x 2 = $130

Total = $300 for 6GB data + unlimited nationwide talk & text

That's including all of the promotions now on and everything. To recap: you're getting an extra 500MB per phone & all the same other features at Telus for $20 less per month. Why are you switching? Where are you getting it $40-60 cheaper per month? Wind?

0 Likes

By my reading of Rogers' offer (which is the one he mentioned), you could have 1 new Smartphone at $55/month, add 3 of your own phones at $35/month each, total of $105, then add 6 gigs of data (their current offer is 3 gigs plus 3 more for $50/month, totaling $210/month.  PLUS there seems to be some 50% off for each additional line for 3 months deal right now that might apply.  But the $210 IS 40-60 a month cheaper than the customer was offered at Telus, and it seems to me that Telus might want to match other offers for their good customers.  I have cable and internet from Rogers, and when Bell made me a verifiable offer this summer, Rogers immediately matched it, though it was about half what I was paying them at the time. Why can't Telus do the same? 

0 Likes
Community Power User

dobes, you stated "when Bell made you a VERIFIABLE offer, Rogers matched it". This seems often to be the difficulty, folk are bringing non-verifiable offers, at least to this forum. The recent poster as do many others did not post his offer for comparison, he simply quotes a price and very basic info. We, and Telus, are supposed to accept this info without any means to verify or do a factual comparison. In Telus' case, they can't sensible compete against an unknown. They may be able to match verifiable packages, though.
NFtoBC

Connector

There lies the problem with Telus it doesn't become a problem until we the customer brings it to their attention. They make no effort from the start to take initiatives to keep us loyal customers. It's all a big joke. Lip Service at its finest.

0 Likes

Telus will offer those same $35 add-a-line plans, they offer a $50 device discount though vs. 50% off for 3 months so for 3 months, it would be cheaper at Rogers. 

0 Likes

I agree with you, Papa63. They should be reaching out to their current customers to be sure that they stay. I didn't even call their loyalty department before buying my own new iPhone a couple of months ago and jumping ship to Fido, where I get twice the minutes and four times the data that I got from Telus for the same price. I felt the same way you do - I've been a good customer since returning to Canada from Europe 14 months ago - let them work to keep me, rather than the other way around. My take is that they ONLY want customers who buy expensive new phones on contract every 2 years - all others can leave and they really don't care. 

0 Likes
Connector

Yes dobes I have been with telus for 20 yrs and when my contract ends I'm gone to the competition . I'm done with paying and paying . Whoever gives me the best deal has my business. So er will see what happens

0 Likes

Hi, just to clarify... the 4-phones that I was quoting are actually 3-of my own, which are already bought and paid for.  There's only one new phone, a iPhone 5C 16g, that I was looking for Telus to include which comes with a 2-year contract requirement plus a minimum $75/month data plan (1g) requirement.  They're also looking for up-front money of $79 for the 16g 5C with the package.  Check the Telus web page, anybody off the street can get that.

I'm better off going to the Apple store and buying the phone for $599 considering that the same phone will cost me over $600 via the Telus loyality package.

I'm just comapring apples to apples and dollars to dollars.  Telus has made me ZERO offers for my decades of loyalty.

0 Likes
Connector

Don't even waste your time talking to a flunkie. Demand to talk to a superviser and see if they wanna wheel and deal

0 Likes

Does Apple give discounts to customers who have previously bought iPhones to reward their loyalty? Does your grocery store? Does your car lease get cheaper if you don't miss a payment?

"They're also looking for up-front money of $79 for the 16g 5C with the package"

The nerve, charging you anything at all for a new smartphone that's worth $700, who do they think they are? A business?

Yes, there are. When you buy your phone, first of all, you can choose a monthly plan so that there's no penalty if you find a better plan with another provider - you can switch any time. Second, most providers give you about 10% off your plan for bringing your own phone. I have a plan now with 400 minutes, unlimited international text, unlimited evenings and weekends from 5 and 400 MB data for $35.10/month. Since contract plans for my iPhone 5C start at around $70 a month, and another $35/month x 24 months is $840, which is $150 more than I spent for the phone, including tax, I did save money by doing it this way. More importantly, I have the freedom to change to the lowest-price plan anytime I want - I'm not locked in to anything. 

0 Likes

Telus offer discounts when you buy your own device, 10% off any Lite or Voice plan or a $20 cheaper SharePlus plan (55 --> 35) for the voice & text portion.

0 Likes

I don't understand why you seem angry about people looking for the least expensive way to have the phone service they want - and coming to the conclusion that Telus isn't competitive in the market. As to your point -- of course my grocery store rewards my loyalty, in the form of a points card. I can hardly wait to pick up my free tenderloin for Christmas dinner! 🙂  And if you think Apple doesn't reward loyalty, then you haven't had enough Apple products. In 2006, I bought a first edition white macbook. In 2010, when it was one year out of warranty, the case cracked. Apple replaced it for free while I waited. The next year, the fan went, and, again, Apple replaced a five-year-old computer's fan for free, while I waited. In each case, the "genius" looked up my record, saw that I had been buying Apple products for a long time, and treated me accordingly.

It's good business to retain customers even while trying to attract new ones. And it's good business to offer deals comparable to competitors'. This thread only complains that Telus does neither.  

0 Likes
Connector

Just your normal response dobes from Telus Again don't care take it or leave it mentality

0 Likes
85 REPLIES 85
Coach

loyality means nothing at telus anymore  im not certain what happened   but all of a sudden

they just do not care anymore  i look elsewhere as they are now like the rest nothing persoal anymore

0 Likes
Rockstar

Thks 'mpa' for bring the 'Valued-costumer subject" to the forum. I've been 9Yrs as a Telus costumer, but I'm looking for another network. As I mentioned in other post I lost my phone, tired to sign up in the abligatory plan I saw the opportunity to buy my own phone N' connected in a cheaper plan to lower my bill.

Telus have a plan called (Bring Ur own device-BYOD) They said no contract, no restrictions to connect it. So I choose this plan with $35-Voice+$15 fro 500Mb of data. plan includes, unlimited text+msges, call display+VM3, etc. I changed my Ph# for $15:00+$15:00 for change plan. Ok clock start to click, got the first bill on mar/14/14-with $106.00 dollars. They were chargingMe double- changePh#, $35.00 extra data- charges, $0.50 ctvs for a text msge sent to Us(False) Voice plan was $35- attached another charge, for same voice plan of $ 24.50.

I inmediatly got the phone N' call them. An agent, with punjaby accent responds. Explained the situation, about the false negative charges, afortunately the guy behave cool, made the checks & find out the double charges. Brought the bill from $106.00 to $83:98 - A diffrence of $22.02 . How they can make these mistakes or are done to ripUoff. who knows. At the moment I'm undecided if go or stay or wait..Till Horizon make its appearance, with cheaper rates. Huhuu hahaa!  Bye "v9"

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
0 Likes

I know this isn't going to end well, but what the *beep* does his accent have to do with a billing mistake @v9. 

TELUS does not have employees for their Mobility call centres in Punjab, Mumbai or anywhere else in India. Manila, sure. Guatemala, definitely. If you were insinuating that that you couldn't understand him because of his accent or that he didn't understand you, i'm inclined to believe that you were the issue.

Comments like that are inflammatory and counterproductive. Get it together. 

iPhone power user

Let's concetrate our answers in the subject  "Not valued as a customer" @ Dark_Night: When I mentioned who respond my call in Telus, about my inquiry, had a punjaby accent, didn't imply the Call center is located in India or somewhere else.

So not jump to wrong conclusions, your last sentence is inapropriated. The advisable to do is re-read the "Telus Neightbourhood basics" about how to behave in this forum to keep up a smooth harmony.  < ReadMe soon>  "v9"

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
0 Likes
Ambassador

I'm happy with Telus since day 1 and i understand that they can't keep everyone happy. Customers do not have loyalty anymore so why should the provider have any?

Resident

Same experience.  Telus has terrible customer service.  Sure, the representatives are nice enough, but the company wants to take you for as much as they can.  No flexibility at all, and no real loyalty program for their long time customers.  Example in point, I had some issues with my bill so I called up, they told me I had to cancel my existing plan, and start a new plan that costs more and gives me less.  Thank telus, I really appreicate that.  I pay more, get less, and this was less than one year into my current contract.  Also the actual service has been terrible the last few years.  Numerous days of dropped calls and irregular cell phone reception.  I regret not going with another carrier, and one more issue and I am done!  I will gladly pay any penalty not to have to deal with this anti customer attitude they have.  No wonder I do not have a telus home phone or telus TV.  If mobility is this bad, why would I bother with any other products.  My advise to anyone else is not to go with telus. 

Resident

My Telus contract was about to expire so I went to see about renewing and getting a new phone. What I discovered was that I needed to be on a minimum of $70 plan to get the phone that I wanted. Telus would not budge with the new 2 year plan prices. That adds up to over $500 more than what I was currently paying over two years. Anyway I decided to shop around and found a way to get the phone I wanted with Rogers on a 3 year plan at $50/month. I then ported my phone number over 2 days after my renewal date and Telus said they had to charge me for an entire month since I missed the billing cycle date. I sure found out where I stood as a customer...

0 Likes
Community Power User

germocide, you found a wireless supplier prepared to offer a 3 year contract in the past 6 months? Astounding, as they all have been offering terms to meet the CRTC June 2016 requirements.
NFtoBC

@wally_west @NFtoBC I wish there was an 'anti-kudos' button to take away points from people who misrepresent their 'billing issue' or the fact they 'needed' a new phone. Who's with me?! 

iPhone power user
Community Power User

@Dark_Knight Naw, just be more giving to those who do the right thing!

NFtoBC
0 Likes
Resident

Been with them for well over a decade since Clearnet launched. House always wins. Telus reps blame regulations for not being able to offer subsidized iphone 5s at 3 year terms. Only 2 years at min $70 with new plan commitment. No exception.

Early upgrade fee was $15 x months left in contract, but now under a 2 year term, premium phone plans need a minimum $70 plan. So for that one year contract deduction, Telus still wins. Essentially, they want an extra $20 a month from my current plan for less features and benefits.

Funny enough, my plan was even cheaper before for similarly the same but they had no option to add iPhone visual voice mail to the plan as it was not an iPhone plan (or so they say), so I had to switch to a more modern plan.

I've been month-to-month since October. Waiting for some changes or a competitor with a better plan as Telus no longer cares about retention. Seems many others have the same issues over at Redflags. 435 pages worth to be exact: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-telus-retention-plan-617794

0 Likes
Connector

Exactly that's the problem everything is ridiculously expensive and just gets worse. Getting unaffordable to own a phone . So we just go to the company that gouges us the least
0 Likes

If you have a cheaper plan less than $45 (mine is $43.35 after the 10% discount and taxes), I've calculated that you would save several hundreds of dollars, depending on what phone you have.  I created an excel spreadsheet with a list of phones under different scenarios.  If anyone needs that let me know.  All you would need to enter is the current price of the subsidized phone and your current plan.  Using the minimum plan, seems to be $75 now, there is a significant savings.

0 Likes

Should have mentioned that compared to buying the phone outright.

0 Likes
Connector

That's fine that you got a good deal with koodo. You do know Telus owns Koodo. Doesn't make sense Telus is high and koodo is lower. Either way they get ya.
0 Likes
Ambassador

Got rid of telus mobility they are horrible expensive ..were paying exzactly what we did back in 2007 except diff features etc ...goodbye telus and there is no such thing as nice people there
Ambassador

Went to koodo saving money and getting more data too good service right now no more contracts or whatever for me i got 10% off
0 Likes
Connector

0 Likes
Connector

That's all they have to respond to you. Big joke worth a laugh anyway.
0 Likes
Neighbour

Tsizzle has suggested that the iPhone 5c 16g is a $700 phone. Which it's not. He/she also suggests that the $79 price for the phone is a good deal. I'm suggesting that anyone off the street can get the $79 deal from a variety of providers not just Telus. I simply want something more for my decades of loyalty. Why does he/she have difficulty with that? Maybe he/she is actually a forum moderator?
0 Likes